Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the retailer called Game thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    If a gamer is so well read up on his/her games to seek out Steel Battalion/Ico/Castlevania SOTN/Ikaruga/TV adaptor for a GameGear etc. then they also realise how rare the thing is, its an indicator of the gaming knowledge of the staff member in question that they scoff a bit at the likelyhood of you finding such a thing
    The reason why people *do* still check is because very rare games can and do be traded in occassionally. I got my copy of Ico when someone traded it in at my branch of Game in late November.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've read the first few posts, but not the whole thread and thought i'd let you know about a conversation i overheard in GameStop in Drogheda.

Basically this couple came in looking to buy an xbox 360 but had no idea exactly what it was. They asked the guy at the counter about it and he explained that it was the latest thing etc. etc. The guy obviously took note that they didn't know what they were going to buy, so he asked who it was for.

They gave the story about little Timmy who was aged 6 and this was all he wanted for Christmas. Well i tell you, fair play to the guy behind the counter, cause he explained that little Timmy probably wouldn't know the difference between the 360 and an original xbox and that they would be better off buying this for a lot less money, as the 360 was for people who he would class as hardcore gamers. Quite happy with this they bought the xbox and went on there merry way.

The wife who was with me at the time, couldn't understand why he would talk them out of a bigger sale, but to me it made perfect sense and put a smile on my face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

The reason why people *do* still check is because very rare games can and do be traded in occassionally. I got my copy of Ico when someone traded it in at my branch of Game in late November.

Sounds like the reason these games are so rare are that staff cherry pick them as soon as they enter the store:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got laughed at when I was looking for Castlevania SOTN and Suikoden in numerous shops. I deserved it anyway but it's always worth a try. I got a copy of Vandal Hearts when I asked in Gamesworld.

I did have woeful trouble when I was asking for Ikaruga (The day and weekend it was released). The staff thought I was taking the piss in most stores. Funnily enough the only place I could find a copy was in Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I was sold a second hand PC game in Gamestop which was marked new and was on the same selves as the new games. To my dismay when I opened the box in the car the manuel looked a bit worn, so I was thinking what could have happened here? When I came to installing the game the code wouldn't work for the game! Plus it seems there wasn't enough spaces for the code. Then it dawned on me that another person must have got this, returned it saying it didn't work and they just placed it back on the shelve again.

I went back got my money refunded and got the game from Game where I knew it wouldn't be second hand as they don't take second hand PC games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

delly wrote:

They gave the story about little Timmy who was aged 6 and this was all he wanted for Christmas. Well i tell you, fair play to the guy behind the counter, cause he explained that little Timmy probably wouldn't know the difference between the 360 and an original xbox and that they would be better off buying this for a lot less money, as the 360 was for people who he would class as hardcore gamers. Quite happy with this they bought the xbox and went on there merry way.

The wife who was with me at the time, couldn't understand why he would talk them out of a bigger sale, but to me it made perfect sense and put a smile on my face :)

Yea I was in Gamestop Clare Hall a while ago and there was a couple in looking for a PSP for their young daughter, the staff member recommended a GBA instead and took out a model and showed it to them and everything which I thought was good.

Mind you just because a console is dearer doesn't mean the shop gets more, the mark up is probably not that different on different systems I'd imagine. And there's no danger of an xbox 360 gathering dust on a shelf while they might want rid of older consoles. Still, the fact that the staff show good knowledge and put thought into getting the customer something that suits them definitely leaves a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well i visit the Game store in Londonderry (or Derry) on a regular basis due to the close proximity to my College. As far as game stores go, this is a pretty good one although in any particular day i would visit a few stores cause they are basicly on my route to the bus station to go home, such as Cash Generator (Great deals on stuff), Game (By far best Game store in Ireland), Planet Ace (Comic Book Store), HMV (pretty much cause im addicted to dvds), then round to Gamestop. Although Game is a great store the whole dick of a manager thing seems to be universal when it comes to their chain of stores, my guess is that they must go on some "Treat the Customer like an Ass" course. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So Zen 2nd, no trade ins in Game? That would explain the huge preowned section there then, as for the 2nd hand game marked as new, although I have never seen PC software 2nd hand that said.
    And as for Gamestops involvement, well everyone can make a mistake and as far as your message reads they just gave you your money back, can't say fairer than that really.
    As people are getting more and more aware of their rights they can stand up for themselves more, its great to see.
    As for the mark up on PSP vs DS/GBA, I think the PSP stuff is the gear they make a great markup on, Nintendo have never been much of a cash cow really.
    I reckon given the kinda pressure there's on from Sony reps to sell sell sell their product its a staff member with some scruples that recommends a better more appropriate cart based system for the younger gamer, obvious that a disc based machine is ill-advised isn't it?
    Anyway as for Game, it always seems I get the ones who know nothing of the things they sell, I went in to ask after fascias for the GB Micro, was looked at like I had 2 heads, he then glanced through the release schedule, looked a little confused and said, "Umm, emm, umm, not sure, emm, don't know". Thats that then.

And as for the gaming stores over all, I don't really care how much of a smuck a staff member is, i need no-ones advice in my game purchases and get most of my information online, so all I need him/her to do is get my game pronto when I hand over the cash/swipe the laser, i do not need to watch him continue his/her little hidden love affair with the staff member to his side. Nor do I need to watch him/her bumble around for 10 minutes before announcing "can't find it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

I was in Game in Henry St looking for the Xbox wireless wifi adapter. saw one there for 95 euro.
    Just to make sure I went to the 3G store around the corner and got it for 80 euro.
    In fact all their 360 stock is hugely overpriced.
    In my book thats shockingly overpriced and shows a disrespect to the customer. Used to be a regular shopper in Game but now I'll not touch it with a barge pole.

I'll be sticking to Play.com and Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I was looking all over for an Xbox 360 harddrive today when I rang Game in Liffey Valley to see if they had one. They told me they had one in stock and if I wanted, they would hold it for me. I told them to hold it as I was leaving to get it. After an hour I arrived to be told they sold it to someone they thought was me...

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE, I'M SURE HE HAD MY NAME!

"Oh, don't worry, we'll have one next week do you want us to hold you one?!"
    "No, there's no point, you couldn't hold this one :rolleyes: "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Game on Henry Street have poor customer service as well.

Have you tried Software Zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Game in general seem to just sell to whoever is willing to buy regardless of an item being held or not!

That and their prices mean I have nothign what so ever to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah and i resent the statements against henry st being bad service...........stop utting one guy over the rest of us.... although im no longer working there i can tell you that if anyone wanted anything held it was held end of story.

And tbh most customers that came i nwith complaints or anything were abosolute twits....most of you who probably are bitching here. Probably the people who come in saynig how there pc game isnt working, when clearly its your windows 95 pc, im not getting into this again.......

And just so you know you were probably tlaking to a new employee, because current game policy is that new release items like xbox360 and hard drives are not allowed to be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Or what could of happened was , some random guy came into buy the HDD and the game employee behind the counter asked " oh did you ring us a little while ago ? " and the guy says ( with shifty eyes >_< ) " yes....yes....i did...:v: "

BAM!

Random pleb = 1
    Giblet = 0

CC

Wow this still going on hehe...

You know its great you al lcome in and your in the shop maximum 30 mins. We are there 6 hours a day and come across every personality in the place. And if you work in retail where you sell items like games, that have 101 faults, youll know what im talknig about.

To have a guy come int oyou that you cant understand a word hes saying, yet hes irish, moan abut how his 360 cant play old games, and you tell him 10 times how do it and wants you to ring microsoft in front of him and complain, and try maintain an upbeat friendly attitude? Well I did.....and it took 20 minutes of my day.

Having a junkie girl come in......beging to use the toilet, reefing out of me, then to have been dragged out of the store. With her **** breath all over me.

I am in no way defending the gmae empire, but I storngly resent the statement of the henry st manager or staff being gay/unhelpful etc.

That Manager you all complain about gets nothing but cocky customers thinking they know the law,people trying to scam back games and general crap from the public. I dont blame him if he gets obnoxious once and a while, and anyone ehre who says the crap about " if you cant be nice you sohldnt be in retail" Thats bull****, cause its called being Human.

If the general public werent assholes id would be grand and everyone would have perfect customer service......mostly people are fine, I dont mind helping people look for games, talk about games,describe games.

Like first day GAA came out everyone asked me " is this a good game" I simply replied " Youd be best off flushing that 50 note down the toilet" Its honest advice, and everyone in the store wa the same during my working period there.

I would just love to throw you complainers into our shoes, come christmas week , wwhen you have to shuffle through 10 customers in one go, and keep them all happy.....and even you in retail already....

So why not give over this ranting, as i do find it offensive and annoying, that your calling me and my colleagues inefficient and non firendly. When I know for fact that we are and do thejob fine. Having one customer with a bad experience out of 1000 customers with happy ones, well i dont care about you thats my job done.

Cause like i said before, you come and complain....why not post ehre what your complaint was, where you one of the hundreds of noobs that arrives in store adament that there is a problem with your pc game, and its clearly you havent matched your specs, like the people returning fear trying to play on windows 95 machines.

As you one of the people returning with the dead pixel problem and wont accept you CANT get a refund unless its a specific amount as released by SONY not even us.

Or maybe someone who brings back a game that is scratched to pieces, then tells is " a it was probably one of the games you have out back" "no sir this was brand new packaging" as all games from outback with inserts gets marked o nthe receipt...

so if anyone here has a valid complaint then yeah id listen, but A) your probably leing cause a recent study that we read in colelge shows that 8/10 complaints and refunds in the gaming industry.....are.......customer/user end faults...

Just in reply to Steviec......

You werent getting customer service, he probably showed you the Ds or the micro?

I know for fact that in the game stores around the town, employees were instructed to push the gameboy sales, becaue they are so low its not even funny. BECAUSE you have a young daughter you are an easier target to convince. Although most employees give honest advice, if you got convinced to buy a ds over a psp..........yeah maybe your daughter will love the DS....but id say it was a pat on the back by the boss for the employee rather then him feeling he helped you.

If you go into a store and you want something and youve your heart set on it, then get it. Retailers jobs are first and foremost to do whats best for the company. Like the above example, Nintendo sales were dreadfully low, and al lthe products taking up stockroom space, so i know in my store tehre was a massive poster informing us to push micro sales.

You have to try and think are you getting good customer service or just some sales bull. For instance someone who hands you Guild Wars over Warcraft ,like someone tried on my mate in gamestop. I think we all know what that is

"Guild wars is a much better game and its free, but warcraft is lagging out with servers crashing every minute and characters being deleted, guild wars is a much better game"

I think this bloke got to touch the managerial weiner after......

names are placed on all held items and the obvious thing you say is.....

Name Sir?

And sometimes if im not satisfied i asked for some proof,

But then aswel you have to ask would the guy care, and lose sleep if he did sell your HD =)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

But then aswel you have to ask would the guy care, and lose sleep if he did sell your HD =)

Game's customer services mission statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

[********asstitswank, lost my big reply]

Dear [DM]-TheDOC-

Basically:
    I'm not replying to this thread after this post, and hope it is allowed to die, as the arguments are going around in circles.

1. You know, until I read some of your replies, I thought that the main problems were with Game as a company. But if your attitude is indicative of the common counter-jockey's, I guess that's not the case. Your attitude in work is not being "human". It's being unneccessarily rude. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone in retail is human, but I don't think people consistently kind of get the level of (dis)service as described on this thread in relation to Game from other retailers. Today, there was another thread on this board about Game's lack of customer service. Where are the threads about Smyths? About HMV? I don't see anyone on the film board complaining about UGC or Lazer, or on the Music board about Tower Records. People in those stores have to deal with the same "asshole" general public as poor you, but they manage to do it with a smile on their face, and rarely an obnoxious manager in sight.

2. I accept you're employed by them, but why do you so vehemently defend the company's letter-of-the-law policies towards refunds? GameStop, Smyths, HMV etc all frequently offer goodwill refunds, even when not required to do so. Game do not, despite charging top dollar for their stuff.

3. On the points of your respone to steviec, I'd like to say, as someone who no longer works for GameStop, and never will again, and has no love for what is, after all, a company like any other trying to take as much money from your back pocket as possible:

GameStop do not instruct staff to push certain products, be it software or hardware. What steviec and delly witnessed was, I know it may be hard to take in, customer service. If a well-meaning, clueless mammy comes in, sees an XBox in the window, and wants to buy one for her 5 year old son, I'll take a minute (or indeed, half an hour) with her to inform her as to what she's about to spend a huge sum of money on, and explore the alternatives with her. I've dissuaded plenty of people from buying PS2s and XBoxen in favour of GameCube (and vice-versa), and I've recommend people take a look at both GBA and PSP when considering a DS, if it makes more sense for them. It wasn't down to a poster hanging on the wall, a directive from head-office, tripping over a stack of GBAs everytime I entered the stockroom - it was, honestly, from wanting what's best for the customer.

That's being human. Nobody wants to go into a store and be lied to and fleeced, and I had to interest in doing it to anybody. What's more important to you, a customer walking away with something they'll love, or the company getting another €100 for their coffers?

I'm also delighted that you brought up Guildwars. Have a look at this thread. Kind of throws your theory out the window - seeing as most of the staff didn't even know what Guild Wars was! So if Guild Wars was recommended over WoW, it was unlikely down to "sales bull".

I think I know where this is coming from though. You may remember the WoW launch fiasco - where the game was launched in Europe, the servers all collapsed, and the game was withdrawn to be relaunched a month or two later. We sent back our copies of WoW, and when people came looking for it, we'd tell them the truth - that even if you could get a copy of the game, the European servers are swamped and unable to cope with capacity. Perhaps the staff member in question recommended another MMORPG in it's place. (Or perhaps none of that was the case and he just happens to like Guild Wars more than WoW).

Once again, so everybody is clear, I was never instructed to push a product at GameStop. If that wasn't the case, I'd let you all know - I've more loyalty to fellow gamers and consumers than to GameStop.

So, that's my take. I'm not going to reply again, but if you feel the need to, some quick pointers:

1. Argue the points, don't keep repeating your original argument. Saying "everyone's an asshole" or "the manager made me do it!" isn't going to further your argument.
    2. No personal insults.
    3. If you mention surveys, studies etc, please give us a link, or at least a title or author.
    4. Please, run your posts through a spelling & grammar checker. I know you're obviously a very angry person, but if you can manage to spare an extra 30 seconds or so before your post, it'll make your bile slightly easier to digest.

[edit] good lord, that reply was even longer. and now it's getting late! argh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Good post NekkidBM!!!

I totally agree with you but on a point of information i had a pretty ****ty experience with HMV with a staff member who decided to create problems over the relatively simple task of buying a DS bundle...but perhaps that for another thread if i could be bothered:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You know its great you al lcome in and your in the shop maximum 30 mins. We are there 6 hours a day and come across every personality in the place. And if you work in retail where you sell items like games, that have 101 faults, youll know what im talknig about.

To have a guy come int oyou that you cant understand a word hes saying, yet hes irish, moan abut how his 360 cant play old games, and you tell him 10 times how do it and wants you to ring microsoft in front of him and complain, and try maintain an upbeat friendly attitude? Well I did.....and it took 20 minutes of my day.

Having a junkie girl come in......beging to use the toilet, reefing out of me, then to have been dragged out of the store. With her **** breath all over me.

I am in no way defending the gmae empire, but I storngly resent the statement of the henry st manager or staff being gay/unhelpful etc.

That Manager you all complain about gets nothing but cocky customers thinking they know the law,people trying to scam back games and general crap from the public. I dont blame him if he gets obnoxious once and a while, and anyone ehre who says the crap about " if you cant be nice you sohldnt be in retail" Thats bull****, cause its called being Human.

If the general public werent assholes id would be grand and everyone would have perfect customer service......mostly people are fine, I dont mind helping people look for games, talk about games,describe games.

Like first day GAA came out everyone asked me " is this a good game" I simply replied " Youd be best off flushing that 50 note down the toilet" Its honest advice, and everyone in the store wa the same during my working period there.

I would just love to throw you complainers into our shoes, come christmas week , wwhen you have to shuffle through 10 customers in one go, and keep them all happy.....and even you in retail already....

So why not give over this ranting, as i do find it offensive and annoying, that your calling me and my colleagues inefficient and non firendly. When I know for fact that we are and do thejob fine. Having one customer with a bad experience out of 1000 customers with happy ones, well i dont care about you thats my job done.

Cause like i said before, you come and complain....why not post ehre what your complaint was, where you one of the hundreds of noobs that arrives in store adament that there is a problem with your pc game, and its clearly you havent matched your specs, like the people returning fear trying to play on windows 95 machines.

As you one of the people returning with the dead pixel problem and wont accept you CANT get a refund unless its a specific amount as released by SONY not even us.

Or maybe someone who brings back a game that is scratched to pieces, then tells is " a it was probably one of the games you have out back" "no sir this was brand new packaging" as all games from outback with inserts gets marked o nthe receipt...

so if anyone here has a valid complaint then yeah id listen, but A) your probably leing cause a recent study that we read in colelge shows that 8/10 complaints and refunds in the gaming industry.....are.......customer/user end faults...

Welcome to working in retail. If your manager can't handle some of the plebs that come in, he shouldn't be in the job. Any retailer gets the same amount. They just don't all treat the general public like Game do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

-snip-
    6 hours? Some bad customers? So what. I worked in McDonalds doing ~8 hour shifts, and I got to meet all types there too. So did our managers. We got stupid complaints from people trying it on, we got yelled at for stuff that wasn't out fault, etc. We still weren't rude, we were polite. That's how it works. If you can't handle that, you(general "you") should not be in retail.
    Every new customer you get doesn't know about all the crap you've dealt with that day. And they shouldn't have to. I don't care if it's a long day where every single person was yelling or acting up at you, right up to and including your very last customer, you treat them as they're the first of the day. That's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

think there should be a thread in thunderdome

everyone Vs game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Having one customer with a bad experience out of 1000 customers with happy ones, well i dont care about you thats my job done.
    Judging by the amount of complaints I've heard, and read here, I'd imagine it's more than 1 in 1000 unhappy customers.

Did you know, customers with a happy service experience tell 4 other people about it. Customers with an unhappy service experience tell 24. In general, they don't complain, they just stop going to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Edit: This post was moved from a thread originally entitled Game Liffey Valley.

I was in Game Liffey Valley a couple of weeks ago and they wouldnt let me trade in The One UMD movie, or Constantine UMD movie (both in perfect condition) because they hadnt got it on their system.

They even insisted I hadnt bought them in Ireland (I got them in xtravision Dundrum which is usually a million times better for price anyway) because they were too new in their opinion.

V.annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I've been shopping in GAME for years and i've been to Dawson street, Henry St., Grafton Street and Liffey Valley and I've never had a single problem. The staff have always been nice, never fobbed me off and always knew what they were talking about.
    The rules in GAME are the same as in most other retailers, the prices may be a little higher for some things but overall they have pretty good prices. especially on preowned.
    Anyway, thats my thoughts on the whole "GAME bashing scenario".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thats bullsh1t!!

Sony doesn't dictate consumer law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

CombatCow wrote:
    Or what could of happened was , some random guy came into buy the HDD and the game employee behind the counter asked " oh did you ring us a little while ago ? " and the guy says ( with shifty eyes >_< ) " yes....yes....i did...:v: "

BAM!

Random pleb = 1
    Giblet = 0

CC

LMFAO!!!

Thats probably what happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

monument wrote:
    To add to what amp said, click on this report.gif button to report any post you may think breaks the charter, the law of the land, or just moral decency.

Be very clear as to what part of any post breaks the above.

You can complain about our moding of the thread here, but seeing as you have still not even complained about a single post in the formal way, that would be pointless at this stage.

Unless I've missed an email, the above is still true, and you have not reported any post on this tread.

Advertisement