Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the retailer called Game thread

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

And just so you know you were probably tlaking to a new employee, because current game policy is that new release items like xbox360 and hard drives are not allowed to be held.

Isn't that worse? Apprently lying to people or not keeping something something they said they would AND breaking store policy (which by some posts on the other thread looks to over rule the law)...

Thread locked, untill this Game (err "bashing") thread dies a slow death, all new tails from Game should be posted here.

Edit: forgot to edit this, thread merged, 'other thread' now meaing 'this thread'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

GAME are charging €159.99 for a DS with Mario. I got it for €149.99 tonight in Xtravision, which is the RRP as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

names are placed on all held items and the obvious thing you say is.....

Name Sir?

And sometimes if im not satisfied i asked for some proof,

But then aswel you have to ask would the guy care, and lose sleep if he did sell your HD =)
    The fact that I said "I'm this guy, I rang 50 mins ago, I said I was from here, remember? What happened?" How about if I went there and complained to everyone I saw in the street, his manager and slung mash potatoes at him heh! Also "in your shoes" Game isn't a real job. If you can't tell people who shouldn't be there to **** off, or answer simple queries you shouldn't be working so don't give me that bull. You are there to serve the customer, not complain when it becomes too hard. Jesus you've never known a hard job if Game is proving too stressful. Recent study my ass, the only requirement to work in game is the words "yes sir" and "two bags full sir". And I suppose when the "new employee" told you all he was holding a hdd you said "HEY YOU CAN'T HOLD THAT, IT'S AGAINST COMPANY POLICY" he rang me back on the number I gave him. OH **** MAYBE NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE TRAINED MONKIES! Don't give me **** please, you are too stupid to handle even the simplest customer demands. I'll be sure to make even more **** of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hey I dont work in game anymore, and i definatly dont work where you got your hd sold or whatever, jsut telling you what happens like.

***If you can't tell people who shouldn't be there to **** off, or answer simple queries you shouldn't be working so don't give me that bull.***

Personally I can say I was honest with every customer I ever served, and gave them the knowledge I had, and if i didnt got another member of staff who did.

I jsut let you guys know how the shop works, the rules, why what and when

******you are too stupid to handle even the simplest customer demands.****** I didnt sell your HD, so id love to know how im stupid? What I've done?

You know I'm a gamer too, I always gave my peice of mind, giving people advice on good games,consoles etc etc, but then you do work for a company, wether liked or not i dont really care, but you are giving instructions.

And most stores get notices to employees to try sell of some products that arnt selling so well, its called retail it happens. And id rather keep my job then be a rebel to the system. But nvr did someone looking at a psp me go " A here check out the micro" We were sold out of SP for ages, and id jsut show people the micro.....

And it is a fact.....atleast with our store...I wasnt allowed to hold items over the phone, now of course youd say "Whats the point" But there wasnt a holding with xbox items because they sold so much. So look from the shops point of view, they could guarantee sell it, or gamble with you on the phone coming in or not.....

But at the end of the day I'm not defending any company, I'm simply coming to your complaints with an answer that is relevant. I'm not going to work in Game again, I'm not sitting ehre feeling mighty offended or crying, it just does bug me a bit when people hit on the general floor staff, and the manager ok all you get is his shop face even though hes a nice guy so of course you can complain.

But dont flame my information that I'm giving you cause it is what happens...and if it makes you hate game even more fine dont shop there but why is everyone coming back to me calling me an "idiot"

like giblet that has annoyed me, coming from a mod........ i feel anyone who bought a 360 is an idiot, especially who bought the core system, especially who doesnt have a HI def telly.......just my opinion though....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

your problem was with liffey vally, being their once in my life bout 5 years ago or something..............why dont you go give them your mouthin the ear instead of me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Em, that wasn't directed at you it was just a rant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

madrab wrote:
    think there should be a thread in thunderdome

everyone Vs game

whoever wins - we loose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Worked in Gamestop for a couple of years back when it was called Gamesworld and have enjoyed a friendly relationship with the lads who started it many years ago in the back of Chapters on Abbey street, I can honestly say that while they, like evry other business out there, have their eye on their bottom line they have always endevoured to hire people at least a bit interested in the products they are selling, not simply because they are capable of getting to work on time, in fact I have seen folk being let go due to a lack of ability with regard to fulfilling a customers needs. This is the sort of criteria all stores should employ, not just game shops but every shop out there, you can see the difference when you shop in Tower records or Abbey discs, you see staff who know what they are talking about instead of a bored minion who can only see as far as his next lunch break.
    Overall Game tends to fall into the latter, as has been described at length in previous posts to this thread.
    Of course I can speak of several happy instances there, mainly when I picked up something preowned that I thought I couldn't get anymore, but then I have never really had to ask for help choosing a game, and when I have been with people who have it was cringe inducing.

Customer service is a thing we all deserve from the stores we go to.
    They are there, after all, to serve us.
    We should expect more service for our money and if this includes a staff member coming out from behind his/her counter and helping a customer with their choice then so be it.
    Anyhow, thats how I see it.

Although the worst places to buy games are now long long gone, upstairs in Easons on O'Connell street, upstairs in the old Virgin Megastore in Aston quay, they really really stunk, like last weeks diapers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I can honestly say that while they, like evry other business out there, have their eye on their bottom line they have always endevoured to hire people at least a bit interested in the products they are selling, not simply because they are capable of getting to work on time, in fact I have seen folk being let go due to a lack of ability with regard to fulfilling a customers needs.

Yeah right. I'd say that the gorgeous blond that worked there for a few years knew loads about games :rolleyes: Still I seemed to go there more when she was around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You know, some gorgeous blondes actually do know their games! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

pics tbh

(just kidding) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

To be fair to the company, their pricing seems to be discretionary and to operate differently in different outlets. I was buying a PS game in Game Limerick a while back and the guy behind the counter pointed out that someone had traded in the same game that morning. I got a top quality game for half the price because of that. I've never had any problem with the service in Limerick. Anyway, online is the way to buy games nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Marmot

As a former employee of GAME I can see it from both sides, when u work there under such an oppressive regime, it does become more difficult to maintain a cheery disposition when dealing with certain individuals, but having been out of the company long enough now I have gained a new perspective.
    To all of u who feel they didn't receive good service from John at Henry St, he's not the manager, Cheryll is. I have not read a single comment about her, why do u accept poor treatment then come on here and whinge about it. There is a chain of command, complain to the actual manager, if u don't get results, go on up the chain...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Yeah right. I'd say that the gorgeous blond that worked there for a few years knew loads about games :rolleyes: Still I seemed to go there more when she was around :D

there was this hot bird who used to work in dawson st.... now what was her name again??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Stick to dawson st. Manager is much nicer.

I agree, the guys in Dawson Street are much nicer and they are always willing to help you out with a query or matching a price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

You know, some gorgeous blondes actually do know their games! ;)

what has that got to do with anything.........the link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding the "Gorgeous Blonde", her name was Ger and she was a lovely girl, what she didn't know about games she made up with her skills dealing with customers, she was a very capable colleague in the shop, and a pleasure to work with. She worked there from the opening of the Liffey St. store and stayed for a number of years.
    I always found lewd comments about her very offensive, we were all quite protective of her. I seem to remember the manager of Gamezone on Talbot st saying such things and what he wanted to do to her and I told him he was a jerk.
    She was very smart, which a lot of fellas found quite intimidating, resulting in the kind of comments you could come to expect from a bunch of slavering apes.
    The thing about her was she always appeared to give customers all her attention, not like many folk who work in retail, looking at one with the air of somebody who had something infinitely more interesting to do until you demanded service.

And thats kinda that, strange though, no one remembers the rest of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

Never had any problems with Game Dawson St, do most of my games purchasing there and the staff are quite helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

evad_lhorg wrote:
    there was this hot bird who used to work in dawson st.... now what was her name again??? ;)

Miss HoTT I believe. ;)

Advertisement