Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soundproofing

• 20-01-2006 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok i really didnt know where to post this, i know its not instruments but as most people with instruments will need it at some point and therefore will know about it i put it here.

Ok Me and the band im in currently rehearce in the garage in my house the sound isnt unreal like with noise bouncing off walls and stuff but that isnt my main problem.After a few practices my neighbour starting complaining again like a mofo and i said id just soundproof the place instead.

i was recomended this stuff :ROXUL AFB MINERAL INSULATION but i dont have a clue where to get it and i dunno if there are cheaper/better soloutions out there.

Anyone out there know anything that could help me out, its primarily just to keep some of the noise but i would imagine it would shurely inhance the clarity in my sound, that stuffs gotta have better acoustics than a stone wall right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I had the same problem in a band I was in years ago. We used to practice in my folks shed but neighbours started acting up. We basically made a timber stud frame to go on the walls and over the roof that left about 2 inches of a gap between the walls and a chalk board (cant think of the name of the the stuff, plaster board or somthing) wall we nailed to the inside of the frame making the room measure 9'10" x 9'10" instead of 10' x 10' if you get me and filled the cavity with this kinda of insulation stuff like fiberglass. Which effectivly left us playing in a room with an inch of plaster board, 2 inches of insilation and then cement block walls. Done the trick quite nicely, all materials can by easily picked up in any builder suppliers / DIY store and the whole thing took me and a mate ( with no experience in this kind of stuff) 3 days to build and finish. Couple of hundred quid maybe for all the materials and your set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Fair play to the last poster. I have a mental image of a sort of A-Team montage sequence with the whole band working together to get the room in shape!!!!

Fair play though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Ok Roxul is part of Rockwool. Have a look at the Rockwool website the have some acoustic insulation products and also some details. You should be able to get Rockwool in most builders suppliers, just make sure its the acoustic stuff and not the thermal insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

We did something similar. Nail 2x4 to the wall of the shed and put the old hall carpet up and boarded up over it. Didnt really cost anything...do you know anyone throwing out carpet.
    No its not ideal but has eally cut the noise. We just keep the noise below 11!!
    You say its a garage...what ya gonna do about the door? You can hardly start putting anything over a garage door. A lot of noise will get through that. thats a problem we have. The shed door still lets out some noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

While I think of it here are some links that might be of some use to you.

Soundproof101

Acoustics101

Useful messageboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

There is a company called IDL (Insulation Distributors Ltd, 6234541) who carry a huge range on insulation. I don't know if they sell to the public, but they will certainly point you in the right direction.

Bear in mind that the main leakage point for the sound (or noise as far as your neighbour is concerned) is going to be through or around any doors or windows.

Also remember that it is acoustic insulation you need as opposed to thermal.
    We have used Rockwool in the past for acoustic insulation purposes.

I have also heard of people using the flat, square egg trays from supermarkets, which are apparently very effective......

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Echoplex

There is no difference between Acoustic and Thermal Insulation.
    There is however a world of a difference between Insulation and Isolation (soundproofing).
    Fibrous materials, even when highly compressed into slightly rigid panels, don't stop sound. 1 metre of the stuff will diminish sound by about 3dB.
    SoundProofing uses systems to stop the transmission of sound. Usually a Mass Spring Mass system. e.g. Wall(Mass) Airgap with some damping (Spring) Wall (Mass)
    The idea in general is that the Mass is hard to move. What little it does move then finds it hard to transmit through the spring, which finds it hard to move the next mass.
    There are some great articles on how to soundproof here
    http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/
    DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Jaysus man............4 year old thread here. :D

Most of the guys that posted have vanished.

Advertisement