Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky+ switching off

• 20-01-2006 3:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

i recently installed sky+ - myself - and now it's not working so well

i am just looking for some opinions ..

the unit switches off every hour or two- and crashes outright occasionally..

++ i bought the box off ebay and sky+ boxes are apparently notorious in the first place
    ++ the lnb took a slight tumble when i was installing it
    ++ i read a thread on the net about a similar problem being caused by bad wiring of the f connectors

first i thought the lnb was done for - but it brings in the signal perfectly - wouldnt the thing either work or not ?? - hardly crash the box

it was my first time to install f connectors but i looked at the connection and it seems perfect to me - no outer shield touching the core - surely that's all there is to it

it seems most likely to be the box - but yet i pluged out the 2 cables for 4 hours today and it didnt power off at all - when i pluged in one of the cables i t had crashed within the hour - i pluged that one out and the other in and the same thing happened - right now i have both out and the unit on for the night so i'll know more in the morning

has anyone any experience of this - my problem is that if i have to return the box to the ebay guy i want to do it soon or he'll be trying to get out of replacing it - and yet i dont want to return the box if it's something else because it's awkward and i'd still have the same problem

could a fall damage an lnb in this specific way ie that it would work perfectly but cause the unit to turn off
    is there more to wiring an f connector than meets the eye

thanks

ps - i have already tried the full system reset and the download of latest software

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Gumboots..

I cant offer ya advice on this problem...but you might get more replies if you post in

The hosted >ICDG>Satellite forum some of the guys there really know there stuff.

regards

Daz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

there has been a recent update of the Sky EPG, so this may be causing a problem.

But anyway make sure your box isnt covered up, place it on the floor infront of the tv to test if its a heatup problem, let it get plenty of air.

If you have a continunity tester, remove the f connector from the lnb at the dish and the + box and check for continunity between the inner and outer core of the co-ax, if there's none your cables are ok.

After that, you may be dealing with a faulty box.
    What type is is, ie: pace V2, or the new V3 (looks like a 160 box) or a 160 box?

are the screws on the back of the box ok, ie not tampered with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

i pluged out the 2 lnb cables last night and the box hadn't turned off up to an hour ago - so i am suspecting the cables or the lnb ( esp since the lnb took a bit of punishment ) - i switched back to the old single lnb and had a look at the cables - didnt have time to do a continuity test but they look perfect to me - i will do that if the box switches off while connected to the original lnb

thanks

Advertisement