Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Low Coolant Light came on!

Options
  • 20-01-2006 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Low Coolant Light came on my 01 Alfa 156 on my way home last night, but the coolant reserve tank is full and no signs of coolant leaks. At the same time, the engine temprature indicator is not working correctly (I think it shows lower figure than usual), could any of you tell me what problem is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Dunno, but it may be the sensor itself, what is it a float or optical sensor... whatever it it, find it and see if moving or triggering it has any effect on the light.

The Temp sensor and the level sensor are most likely not the same, thus the only thing they have have in common is a ground connection and the ECU.
    So it could all be related to a loose wire.

The ECU that handles these ancilliary items could be having a brain freeze. Try disconnecting the battery for about 30 min, reconnecting and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

could be a problem with the thermostat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

if you disconnect the battery be sure to remove positive first and leave it off for about minute before you remove the negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

To remove the power completely from the car/ECU, etc. Removing any one terminal will suffice. No need to remove them both. So I go for the easy one but if you want to be extra careful....remove the Negative (or whichever happens to be ground) first ALWAYS, that way if you short the spanner to the frame, you'll not get sparks.....
    Once the circuit is broken in any one place, it's as good as if it were chopped into 1" sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

hellboy99 wrote:
    if you disconnect the battery be sure to remove positive first and leave it off for about minute before you remove the negative.

Have a dead chicken handy just in case.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
Advertisement