Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet Rooms

Options
  • 20-01-2006 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Anyone done a wet room and got a few do's and dont's.

Also any sugestions as to where to source the waterproof membrane? Will most tile shops have it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We have 2 in our house, and there is no membrane as such rather a paint on 2 pack dispersion layer that seals the floor and wall junction.
    Think about trying to create a fall from the whole room back to the floor trap.
    or maybe raise the floor all around and make a fall into the shower.
    I would try and fit an UFH system maybe a Devi mat or something to dry the floor as as well as being nice and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

That's great, thanks for the info.
    I've not heard of this paint on dispersion layer.
    Can you give some more details?
    Plus I had intended to put in some kind of UFH but only for comfort, didn't consider the fact that it makes sense and would help drying out room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

http://www.dunlop-adhesives.co.uk/bal/main/pdfs/fixing_guide.pdf

look at page 19/20 (it's page 11 of the pdf)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The stuff I have is called Fuktskydd FB7 and FB9 and is a Swedish product it comes in a wide plastic tub (roller size) and what looks like a toilet roll, of Fibrous material that is appliedto the angle between the floor and the walls.
    The manual I have advises that waterproof wallboards are not necessary with this system.And that you simply roll on one type of primer let it dry and then roll a coat of the second type on apply the fibre tape and then keep going until the whole tub is used up.
    I haven't got any links to the manufacturer here as it is all in Swedish.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

We have supplied walkin shower & seating to some tiling companies, they definitely recommend "tanking". Basically sealing all walls, edges and corners it is like a mesh/glassfibre and rubberized paint, unfortunately l dont have a product name. I would imagine the higher end tile companies would stock it.
    The Devi mat sytem is a good idea for both comfort and drying out the floor area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

badmanjam wrote:
    If it is an upstairs situation;

-Mark out area for wetroom floor on the tounge and groove floor.
    -Cut out the tounge and groove floor of the shower area.
    -Bridge in-between the joists with 3/4" Ply
    -Sit Marmox shower underlay on top of bridged floor and screw down
    -Tank the shower area and up the walls about 6"
    -Tile area of wetroom floor with mosaic tiles
    -Seal corners and up walls with sanitary silicone.

The Marmox tray is what I would recommend as it has a built in fall of 2 degrees. The problems with wetroom floors is that is a cowbou does it and tries to guess the fall it will either not work or will not work too well.

I have been fitting them for years and have never once had a problem when doing it as descirbed above.

www.dbh.ie have a selection of the trays and tanking systems

Thanks for the link.
    I cant see any detail for the actual tray in terms of size or slope:confused:

Advertisement