Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB for Business. Need some experiences.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You sent a e-mail? And you expect an answer? You know they never read them right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No, I emailed everyone under the sun - check out their investor relations page. I emailed all of those people - making a guess at their email addresses.
    My mobile was ringing within minutes. The email I sent had the words, "I bet the CEO of the National Toll Roads will love to hear about this".

The CEO rang me - they gave me a 3 month credit note, and said "we'll see if the techical issues are resolved and you can pay".
    I was told to supply ping results. I did - showing 25% packet loss and sub 500 download/upload.
    A day later, that idiot closed the trouble ticket, wiothout contacting me.

So, in another month - no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I can't understand how IBB have not clearned up there act, even atleast to showing that if they are!, there was an artical in the Irish Indepentent last week about the poor service and failure of the company to resolve thoes problems.
    Have they not got the message!

Last year around May there was a member called OldTitan, that could help customers of IBB, where is that member? do you still read boards, or MOD's have you banded him or something! We would like to here from you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Did he actually help anyone? I think he was mainly good for excuses and promises, like the rest of IBB. It's not as if the problems are limited to a small set of users that can be resolved reasonably easily. It's just a wholesale fiasco.

Well he had posted about 2Mbit upgrade trials and asked for members of boards for feedback, looking back at his posts he did help and was definitely a link to the company, for all of us that have problems should PM him and ask if IBB actual understand that your customers are not happy with your broadband!

One question i would like to ask is:
    Does IBB know how to run a Wireless ISP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

One question i would like to ask is:
    Does IBB know how to run a Wireless ISP!
    LOL :D I think we all know the answer to that one! :p

The assumptions that my friend and i have made is

they tryed to do something,
    it didn't work,
    they tryed to fix it,
    they broke it,
    And then they just Walk away,
    And say Nothing!

{Walk away whistling....}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I don't work for IBB, tho the interaction on this thread is funny cos I did (correctly) spot an IBB employee posting on here before :) Its just that I haven't had the same experience you guys have had and I'm surely allowed make that point? I have had replies to emails, I have got through to support. I have had an engineer come out and change me from one mast to another to solve a problem.

The fact that nobody who is complaining is willing to actually post up some stats surprises me - if I was in your shoes I would have daily pinggraphs posted up here. I would be asking other users on the same mast to do the same. etc. etc. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you all to be paying for a service you don't appear to be getting and yet feel that there is nothing you can do to improve the situation or get out of your contract.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

here is some of my packet loss stats, not the most readable but you get the idea, constant packet loss and latency of over 100ms....in a word $hite:(

Date / Time Destination % Lost Average RTT (ms)

5th Jan google.com 7 177
    6th Jan 8:15am google.com 0 86
    6th Jan 20:00 ftp.heanet.ie 13 149
    6th Jan 23:00 ftp.heanet.ie 5 192

15th Jan 16:40 google.com 22 180
    15th Jan 16:40 heanet.ie 15 108
    15th Jan 17:10 heanet.ie 14 116
    15th Jan 17:40 heanet.ie 14 140
    15th Jan 18:40 heanet.ie 13 146
    15th Jan 19:30 heanet.ie 14 126
    15th Jan 21:55 heanet.ie 12 153
    15th Jan 23:00 heanet.ie 9 117

16th Jan 08:30 heanet.ie 3 82
    16th Jan 19:30 www.cisco.com 49 233
    16th Jan 21:00 www.cisco.com 56 240
    16th Jan 21:35 www.cisco.com 55 241
    16th Jan 22:00 www.cisco.com 60 238
    16th Jan 22:30 heanet.ie 20 105
    16th Jan 22:35 cisco.com 60 239
    16th Jan 23:00 cisco.com 69 250
    16th Jan 23:00 heanet.ie 22 105
    17th Jan 08:20 cisco.com 37
    17th Jan 20:00 heanet.ie 1 80
    17th Jan 21:00 heanet.ie 4 82
    17th Jan 21:00 google.com 5 115
    17th Jan 21:40 cisco.com 42 271
    17th Jan 21:40:00 heanet.ie 3 84
    17th Jan 21:40:00 google.com 10 119
    17th Jan 21:40 metcheck.com 12 188
    18th Jan 18:30 google.com 5 225
    18th Jan 19:30 heanet.ie 9 233
    18th Jan 20:00 heanet.ie 10 250
    23rd Jan 19:00 heanet.ie 7 96
    23rd Jan 20:00 heanet.ie 18 81
    23rd Jan 20:40 www.google.com 22 117
    23rd Jan 21:30 www.google.com 11 116
    23rd Jan 22:20 heanet.ie 21 85
    24th Jan 18:30 heanet.ie 7 90
    24th Jan 19:00 heanet.ie 8 88
    24th Jan 20:00 google.com 5 120
    25th Jan 18:30 heanet.ie 11 95
    25th Jan 19:30 heanet.ie 6 94
    25th Jan 19:30 cisco.com 48 282
    25th Jan 20:00 heanet.ie 8 93

Those numbers look dreadful - though I remember when I had the trees issue my pings were into the thousands. It really is worth while downloading something like pinggraph cos it shows a consistent problem over time. It also has this graph line of "available bandwidth" that I found very interesting. I have set it running on my dads computer this morning so I'll post that up later.

C

• Advertisement

Phibsboro wrote:
    The fact that nobody who is complaining is willing to actually post up some stats surprises me - if I was in your shoes I would have daily pinggraphs posted up here.

There must be 100's of threads in here with pings attached to them ... hundreds. Been there, done that, worn the tshirt, spoken directly to their CEO .. and it is still not resolved.

I too had someone out last year to try to fix it. This person left saying "Oh we'll ring you" .. nothing ..

Phibsboro, just because you are lucky and your line works, don't criticize those who are unfortunate enough NOT to have a working IBB connection.
    It is almost as if you think all of us are lying about it.

I think when I pay 48 euros for a 300kbs line and someone else can get 4 times the speed for 15 euros a month .. I am entitled to complain.

When I complain to the company in question they cannot resolve it - then they are bound to get bad press. They will get bad press until they provide a decent service.

Until they stop ignoring customer complaints, and put an english speaking staff member on their support desk - people will continue to have issues.
    People will also continue to have issues if support staff continue to close trouble tickets when they are not resolved, and ignore customer emails to reopen tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I would only for i dont have them anymore.....I will gladly dig up my screen shots , pings....etc.......

Phibsboro wrote:
    The fact that nobody who is complaining is willing to actually post up some stats surprises me - if I was in your shoes I would have daily pinggraphs posted up here. I would be asking other users on the same mast to do the same. etc. etc. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you all to be paying for a service you don't appear to be getting and yet feel that there is nothing you can do to improve the situation or get out of your contract.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I just can't be bothered to post any more pings traces etc...

Before I take IBB to court I will be using the Data Protection Act to force them to produce all of the information they have on computer relating to me. This will include all of the ping/traceroute/speedtest info I have sent them over the last year. If they havn't kept that it will look very bad for them. If they have kept it it will prove how ****e they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Phibsboro wrote:
    The fact that nobody who is complaining is willing to actually post up some stats surprises me

Seriously, where have you been for the past while, or have you tried searching the broadband forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3201398&postcount=11
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3201190&postcount=8
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3200679&postcount=6
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3413754&postcount=37
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3531855&postcount=49
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3533160&postcount=51
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3533627&postcount=54
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3533913&postcount=57
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3534088&postcount=59
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3536659&postcount=63
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3540795&postcount=68
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50346635&postcount=90
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50387974&postcount=96
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50389655&postcount=97
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50541217&postcount=136

And this is my own personal account of my IBB troubles up until the time I left them
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=283290

And finally
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 :D

Now, I didn't have time to go through EVERYTHING as I only had 10 minutes free to search. Seriously, have you even looked?

IrishTLR wrote:
    LOLLLLL :D It's funny coz it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

Hi all,

I am a business user and up until today I suffered like everyone else seems to;

Very poor support.
    Speeds very slow.
    Connetivity not too bad, no more than a day a month off.

However I can confirm that as off this morning my connect is 1.82Mb up and 1.92Mb down. I did not have any kind of call open with them, so maybe at long last things are improving.

I am on the rochestown mast.

Later,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Does 1 day make up for the months of bad service?

Grayarea wrote:
    Hi all,

I am a business user and up until today I suffered like everyone else seems to;

Very poor support.
    Speeds very slow.
    Connetivity not too bad, no more than a day a month off.

However I can confirm that as off this morning my connect is 1.82Mb up and 1.92Mb down. I did not have any kind of call open with them, so maybe at long last things are improving.

I am on the rochestown mast.

Later,

IrishTLR wrote:

I meant the people complaining on this thread in fairness. I take your point though. I would say to people who are trying to prove a point to IBB (or more likely get out of contract, based on the experiences posted up here), that once off, or 10 minute pings tests leave too much room for the isp to say it was a transitory thing, contention kicking in etc. Out of all of those threads only one shows a graph of longer than a few minutes..

I would imagine that person was out of contract as soon as they wished with data like that. Forget Irish speed test or one off tracert's or pings - stick something on for a few days at least. If you are consistently getting bad stats you need to get off IBB asap and to do that without penalty you need something like pinggraph.

In general, I don't mean to negate the experiences of the people who complained on this thread - the op actually asked for this kind of comment to help him decide whether to go with IBB. I would just make the suggestion that you collect data over a few days and move off IBB and get into a happier broadband world:) .

C

Phibsboro wrote:
    I meant the people complaining on this thread in fairness.
    Fair point, but many of us have posted out traces in other threads and see no reason to post them here again.
    that once off, or 10 minute pings tests leave too much room for the isp to say it was a transitory thing, contention kicking in etc. Out of all of those threads only one shows a graph of longer than a few minutes..

Another fair point. However, my list was not complete but there are other links in the list I provided that game a more comprehensive ping trace. I use pingplotter that, like yours, runs continous traces for days, weeks, months.
    Taken form the list above
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...8&postcount=11

However, just because ppl have not run there traces for more than a few seconds, minutes, hours or even days, doesn't take away from the fact of the problem. These people would be running there tests on a regular basis if there wasn't an underlying problem. It wasn't a transitory thing or contention kicking in, as it was happening most of the time for a lot of users.

The main problem, and IBB have admitted it in various conversations to various people, including me, that they have over congested their network. Now you could argue that the service became over contended but only because there were more than the 8, 12, 24 or whatever customers provisioned to a specific connection/sector.

Forget Irish speed test or one off tracert's or pings - stick something on for a few days at least.
    But they are a good first impression of things going wrong. I would agree that I would not use these types of data as my sole offence. A long term trace would help a lot.
    If you are consistently getting bad stats you need to get off IBB asap and to do that without penalty you need something like pinggraph.
    Quote of the day :D I'll say no more.
    In general, I don't mean to negate the experiences of the people who complained on this thread - the op actually asked for this kind of comment to help him decide whether to go with IBB. I would just make the suggestion that you collect data over a few days and move off IBB and get into a happier broadband world:) .

I agree. Although I do get the feeling that IBB are preying on the less well informed and the non technical. For example, Mr Joe Bloggs, who knows nothing about broadband or the technical side of it, get's IBB service and it is faster than dial up, he'll be happy. However, the reality of it is that he's getting ripped off. Being happy with the service is all relative. Jow bloggs is happy because he can send and receive emails 2 or 3 times faster than dial up. But if you were to walk into Joe Bloggs and show him the packet loss. Shw him the actual speeds he was getting, it would be a totally different story.

I take your earlier point about trees being in your way a while ago and you got re-assigned to a new high site, but come one, do you think that ALL of our radios are being blocked by trees?

I was a business customer. I had an SLA with them. I was paying good money. They ignored me like they ignore an residential customer with an SLA.

More fool me, I stayed with them for 7 to 8 months. Getting rid of them was the best thing I ever did. I will not look back until they have proved themselves for at least 12 months without any major outages. their [advertised ]upload speeds are quite nice.

K

Phibsboro wrote:
    I would imagine that person was out of contract as soon as they wished with data like that. Forget Irish speed test or one off tracert's or pings - stick something on for a few days at least.

I don't have any contract with IBB. I am out of it at this stage.
    IBB know damn well that there is something wrong with their network. They know!!!! Send whatever pings you want!!

When I pay 48 euros, I expect that service, and no less. I have more things to do when I come home from a days work to sit down and correlate data for IBB. I work in IT myself, and spend enough time sitting in front of a screen. It is their job to work out what is wrong with their network. They should be out doing tests - not sitting on their arses closing unresolved trouble tickets without resolving them.

They know there is an issue with the service, they frequent these boards, if they gave a hoot about their customers it would be resolved a long time ago.

This issue has gone on for a least a year, and at this point they are having
    a laugh at the expense of people who cannot get DSL.

If you advertise a 2MB line, and charge above the odds for that service, then the end user should get that service - or if not, close to.

And it is NOT contention. if I surf the web at 4am it is the same!!

Supplying pings to them is a complete waste of time - they haven't an intention of solving it.

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote:
    I was a business customer. I had an SLA with them. I was paying good money. They ignored me like they ignore an residential customer with an SLA.
    Same here IrishTLR... Was paying €85 EUR a month for a crap connection I could do nothing with (no online gaming - no downloading - could barely browse). SLA or not, it didn't bother them one bit. I actually asked them to refund me for 3 days when the connection was really bad (read "no connection at all") and the manager approved the refund but I never got it... :( I couldn't be ar$ed calling them back for €8 EUR so I never did...

And here's the problem I'm having now: Downgraded from 3MB/3MB to 2MB/2MB on the 3rd January 2006. I thus had to get credited for January (as I pre-paid for that month) and my new February bill should have been for €47 EUR or so. And guess what? No credit and still being charge for 3MB/3MB!

So I said "Fu*k'em" and cancelled my Direct Debit before the money was taken. They have the whole month to resolve the issue, apply the credit and charge me properly. If it's not sorted by the end of the month, I'll never re-activate the Direct Debit as I will be with SMART from March onwards... Fu*k'em!

Was paying €85 EUR a month for a crap connection

Yup, same here. I was paying, I think 70 ish Ex VAT for a 1M 8:1 connection. When they increased their new bandwitdh packages, they didn't even upgrade me. I assume that it was because the connection would have been even worse. I was paying that money for a few months after the upgrades. I was on 1, whould have been on 3. Just to add insult to injury. They wouldn't lower the cost to the 1Mb price or even close.

They only thing they could do for me was "nothing". I just laughed at them and told them to pull their crap out immediately. the only think they could do was sit and wait to see if extra high sites would ease congestion. They couldn't even give me a timeframe, even in months. They just didn't know or weren't told.

They are a joke of a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

just checked my email and - what a surprise they have invoiced me for my connection again....this is after they have already charged my account even though i was told by a manager that i would not be charged as they had not installed the service correctly and was why i was having problems...this is also after i was told it was going to be de-installed by a supervisor and then told a week later they were not going to do it....i hope somone sucessfully takes this shower of w@nkers to court soon :mad:

think at this stage i am going to get comreg involved.

good luck with comreg. I had a similar situation with BT (they couldn't get broadband working in my house) but helped themselves to my bank account. I rang comreg - who told me "Nobody regulates Broadband in this country".

Advertisement