Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life Movie!

• 20-01-2006 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if someone mentioned it before, but I didn't see it anywhere, but I just read on GameSpot that a Half-Life movie is planned. It was rumoured that Tarantino was going to direct, but that ended up being a load of rubbish. But still it could be good. That is unless Boll gets his mits on it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

aw man it'd want to be speilberg or something getting involved for this to truely work out the way we all want.

it's a difficult movie to make since your main character doesn't talk, and the potential for shoddy uwe boll style CGi and dialog is massive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nah, spielberg version will have kids or something to do with kids in it.
    that doesnt belong in the world of half-life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Unless it's all first person view with Gordan never talking, I don't want to see it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Might be another one for whoever does the halo movie. (ie peter jackson) but then again it would really depend on which half life they go with. Half Life 1 isn't an epic - its a close-knit one-facility sort of thing similar to aliens. Where half life 2 is a much bigger, the whole-world-at-stake epic similar to (sorry) war of the worlds/independance day and shortly, halo sort of thing.

But in all honesty - i cant think of one actor whose looks/voice would compliment the most interesting silent character in gaming history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gordon should totally be mute. Capture that passive communication we see in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Might be another one for whoever does the halo movie. (ie peter jackson)

Well, Peter Jackson is only a producer for Halo. Guillermo Del Toro is set to direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Quick, somebody kill Uwe Boll before he gets his hooks into this one :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Well, Peter Jackson is only a producer for Halo. Guillermo Del Toro is set to direct.
    Aye, was aware Jackson was producer - didn't know Del Toro was confirmed.
    But it's Jackson's SFX company doing the bells and whistles too isn't it?

I reckon a similar line-up would suit a movie at least based on half life 2 - but not 1

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Just because it's Friday, here you go:)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718754/trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

It'd be really difficult to portray Freeman... would he be brooding? a smart-ass? or just completely generic. Also it'd have to fit in perfectly with the games, cant be having significant plot holes in a series like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

afaik uwe boll wants to do it, but i don't ever see that happening, gabe newell was asked about it in a 1up interview and he said that if it were ever to be done then valve would do it themselves, so i doubt it'll ever be done, which is no harm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0gamers psychic videogame to movie predcition: This film will be ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Crucifix wrote:
    Unless it's all first person view with Gordan never talking, I don't want to see it.

yeah me too

that would be a good way to make a film actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hahah worst movie concept ever, so whats the plot...eh well this guy who may be dead or not goes around killing things that we dont really know what they are helped or hindered by someone who may be himself or not.

Sounds great Uwe Boll or not HL is a stupid storyline to even think about making a movie of.

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jennifer Love Hewitt will be Gordons love interest and Anthony Hopkins the excentric/mad scientist who wants to take over the world with head crabs. Add a few american flags and the marines who are mistaken but come to there senses and save the day for american and freedom everywhere. It will be a hit!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

KdjaC wrote:
    Hahah worst movie concept ever, so whats the plot...eh well this guy who may be dead or not goes around killing things that we dont really know what they are helped or hindered by someone who may be himself or not.

Sounds great Uwe Boll or not HL is a stupid storyline to even think about making a movie of.

kdjac

And why does that sound better then most action films?
    gabe newell... said that if it were ever to be done then valve would do it themselves

Coming soon - maybe 2007. Maybe 2070. Probably 2700.

Just because it's Friday, here you go:)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718754/trailer

Uh...a silent hill trailer? Thanks!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Zillah wrote:
    Uh...a silent hill trailer? Thanks!!!!
    off topic but that actually looks promising (if it's the same teaser i watched a few weeks ago...)
    they kept the creepy music anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Nah what we need is the men! George Lucas and Peter Jackson working together :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my view on a half life movie is to distance it from the main storyline of the game series, set it around the resistance in city 17 and emphasize Gordon's role as this *Free man* by not havin him as a main character in the film.

Gordon Freeman as a character has always been established by the characters around him (and the player) so a film should focus on these characters. I'm talking a group of runts living in city 17 joining the resistance under Barney and Alex and getting thrown into the huge f*cking rebellion with Gordon coming into it near the end (how would be difficult, as one would like to avoid the tacky knight on a white horse approach).

Half Life falls into the same catagory as Metroid.

Games that cannot be direct ports, but shouldnt disrespect the source material.

in other words.

Damn hard Games to translate to Film.

Halo is quite easy in comparison, despite Master Chief's inability to show his face the rest of the 2 games have a very Hollywood epic movie feel to it. Esp how cutscenes are played out and the story developes.

• Advertisement

Huh. I like that idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I think a first person approach(as mentioned earlier) for the whole film would lead to extreme boredom in the theaters.

BlitzKrieg's idea seems best so far.

At least in Halo the master chief has Cortana to interact with when he is alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A good movie of a game does not have to retain the game-play elements of that game to be true to the story - seems obvious but in thinking that a movie with the same basic storyline would only work with a similarly mute hero is wrong imho. As an FPS the lack of personality works perfectly since you as the player are not really asked to fit into any mode beyond the events you're placed in, it assists your own immersion. That does not mean that adapting the character for film would ruin the basic storyline at all (Which is as plausible as any SciFi story imho, again I think a lot of the criticism of the plot comes from the way in which it is portrayed as a game and incorrectly directly translating that to the movie, which any decent production would not do - don't confuse plot potential and media limitations). You could easily take either episode and make a decent movie from them without american-cheese or betraying the existing fans, all it takes is some solid financial backing and a quality production team, any possible problems are down to the (lazy) human factor not some sort of cosmic problem with translating games to movies.
    Again, all taken with a big IMHO.

Ps. I think Viggo Mortenson would make an excellent Freeman....but who could play Frohman, now that's a bigger question ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Keanu Reeves as freeman tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Take a look at this pic and tell me this isn't gordon freeman:

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1297/679/lo/bw2.jpg

It's like I've come from the future where the film has already been made, and universally laughed at for being so bad

http://movieweb.com/movies/film/97/1297/gal679/09.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

JCDenton wrote:
    Take a look at this pic and tell me this isn't gordon freeman:

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/1297/679/lo/bw2.jpg

It's like I've come from the future where the film has already been made, and universally laughed at for being so bad

http://movieweb.com/movies/film/97/1297/gal679/09.php
    :D Haha, they're brilliant!

That guy is freakishly similar to Freeman.

Hire him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    my view on a half life movie is to distance it from the main storyline of the game series, set it around the resistance in city 17 and emphasize Gordon's role as this *Free man* by not havin him as a main character in the film.

Gordon Freeman as a character has always been established by the characters around him (and the player) so a film should focus on these characters. I'm talking a group of runts living in city 17 joining the resistance under Barney and Alex and getting thrown into the huge f*cking rebellion with Gordon coming into it near the end (how would be difficult, as one would like to avoid the tacky knight on a white horse approach).

i like that idea. the problem there is that, being hollywood, the film needs to have a hero. a hero the audience follows throughout (a-la neo, batman, jay & silent bob :D)... who would you want on screen for 60%+ of the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

i like that idea. the problem there is that, being hollywood, the film needs to have a hero. a hero the audience follows throughout (a-la neo, batman, jay & silent bob )... who would you want on screen for 60%+ of the time?

The movie could focus on alex and the underground struggle for freedom with Gordon more on the sidelines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement