Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic 'Sam' not welcome

• 20-01-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

I suppose this could have gone in the GAA forum (or many others) but I think it will be debated better here, and after all it is directly related to this forum anyhow.

A Scottish politician has called for the Sam Maguire Cup to be banned from Glasgow Celtic’s Parkhead stadium.
    A member of the Scottish parliament told Tyrone’s all-Ireland winners to leave the Sam Maguire Cup in Ireland when the Gaelic footballers visit the Glasgow stadium later this month. He said there was no place for the cup in Scotland.
    An angry Tyrone GAA county chairman Pat Darcy last night told Glasgow-based Conservative MSP Bill Aitken to “read up” on his history.
    Sam Maguire, a Protestant, was born in Co Cork in 1879. He became a leading member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood. He died in 1927.
    Members of the Tyrone squad are expected to parade the Sam Maguire Cup at Parkhead before Celtic’s Scottish Premier League showdown with Dundee United on January 28.
    The Red Hand men won the cup last September when they beat Kerry in the all-Ireland final. It has become a tradition in recent years for the all-Ireland winners to take the Sam Maguire Cup to Parkhead.
    Speaking to Daily Ireland last night, Bill Aitken branded Sam Maguire a “terrorist”. “What concerns me is that there is to be a parading of some cup they have won,” he said.
    “It’s time we moved away from this sort of thing and I don’t think this is appropriate. The parading of this cup brings up political and sectarian feeling, which already occurs in Glasgow.
    “My advice to them is: You are welcome in Glasgow but leave the cup at home. He was a member of a terrorist organisation.”
    Mr Aitken has a Partick Thistle season ticket. He claimed to have researched the life of Sam Maguire.
    “What happened in Ireland in 1921 is not relevant to Scotland. It’s not helpful to have a trophy with terrorist connections.”
    Pat Darcy last night said: “This is a sporting occasion. It’s not sectarian or political. I think this man would need to go and read his history. If he did, he would understand that this is a sporting thing and he wouldn’t come out with this nonsense. I think he’s trying to get something started here.”

http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt?_scope=DailyIreland/Content/News&id=18733&opp=1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This is just tabloid news.

Bill Aitken has no connections with Celtic. There are many people in Scotland that wouldnt want to see Sam Maguire paraded at Celtic, but not Celtic people. Most though dont care and that would be most of the Rangers fans.

This story is trying to stir-up whats not there.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Alfie Conn has warned Kenny Miller about the grief he faces for crossing the Old Firm divide.

It is almost 30 years since former Rangers star Conn joined Celtic from Tottenham.

Wolves striker Miller will become the third post-war player to play for both clubs, having had a short spell at Ibrox, and he has been advised not to live in Glasgow and prepare for the worst.

Conn told the Daily Record: "The big difference between me and Kenny is that I was nine years at Ibrox.

"I don't think he played that many games for Rangers so I don't think it will be as bad for him.

"He will still have problems but he has made his decision and will have to get on with it.

"I would advise him not to get involved in anything - stay out of Glasgow. Maybe he should stay in Edinburgh.

"He will have to watch where he drinks and who he associates with. He will learn a lot about who people are.

"He will discover who his friends are and how others think. There are bigger things than the Old Firm but try telling some folk that.

"Even 30 years on people come up to me and ask, 'How could you jump the dyke?"'

He added: "A few years ago I worked in a pub in Glasgow which wasn't a Rangers bar and this boy came in, he was maybe 21.

"He asked for a pint then said, 'I know your face, are you Alfie Conn?' I said yes and he told me to stick my pint and walked out.

"He was too young to have seen me play but the feelings are still there."

Celtic, meanwhile, have been linked with a move for former Tottenham striker Steffen Iversen and Lecce's Finland international midfielder Alexei Eremenko.

Seems to be the blue half of the city seems to have a bigger problem with this than Celtic fans which everyone usually on here say cause the most trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

hang on, its alright for a GAA team to parade itself around a soccer park with the biggest prize in GAA but not alright for soccer clubs to use GAA parks?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

I believe the Ireland team is going to use Croke Park next year? Or have you been asleep for the past year?

Nuttzz wrote:
    hang on, its alright for a GAA team to parade itself around a soccer park with the biggest prize in GAA but not alright for soccer clubs to use GAA parks?

Maybe edit this seeing as the GAA has already announced the opening of Croke Park for soccer and for Rugby

Anyway Celtic inviting the winner of the All Ireland over to show off the trophy hasn't really got anything to do with the GAA. It is probably more to do with the large following of Scottish football by people in NI. Its called promotion of the club and try to build a bigger fan base. I don't see any problem with it.

next the government will be saying that boxer that goes to the Bolton games and was presented before games after winning a bout is not allowed because he is a boxer and it is a sport that causes violence:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The first story of this in the media was in the Mail on Sunday. Bare in mind, the Scottish tabloids are much worse than the English and Irish. Here's a post from a Celtic forum about the article:
    You may find this hard to believe, but I can assure you that it is on Page 32 of the Scottish edition of the Mail on Sunday.

Under the heading "Parading of 'IRA trophy' puts pressure on Celtic" this article, written by PAUL DRURY begins:

CELTIC Football Club was yesterday facing fresh controversy over alleged links between its fans and the IRA.

They then wade through the old Athenry-gate story before informing readers that Tyrone have been "allowed" to take the All Ireland GAA trophy on a lap of honour of the ground before the SPL match with Dundee United on January 28.

It informs readers that the trophy is named after Sam Maguire, "head of IRA operations in London around the time of the Easter Rising in 1916."
    It adds: "It has been suggested he ordered the IRA murder of Conservative MP Sir Henry Wilson in 1922."

After adding that Maguire had "sworn in Michael Collins to the Irish Republican Brotherhood in 1909", it goes on to say:
    "The disclosure will come as a major embarrassment for Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell, who outlined the club's stand on fans' support for the IRA only last Wednesday."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Big Nelly wrote:
    next the government will be saying that boxer that goes to the Bolton games and was presented before games after winning a bout is not allowed because he is a boxer and it is a sport that causes violence:rolleyes:

Amir Kahn is that boxer . He is an Olympic Silver medalist and turned pro last year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It has become a tradition in recent years for the all-Ireland winners to take the Sam Maguire Cup to Parkhead.

Err, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To prove how Orish they (Celtic) are?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I dont see any problem whatsoever with it. Highlighting the strong bonds between Celtic FC and Ireland. Nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement

Flex wrote:
    I dont see any problem whatsoever with it. Highlighting the strong bonds between Celtic FC and Ireland. Nothing wrong with it.

Oh you can't say that, the PR crowd will jump on you now. Don't you know you can't show any connection between Ireland and Celtic.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Flex wrote:

Yeah, like we need to highlight it more than it has been.:rolleyes:
    BigNelly wrote:
    Oh you can't say that, the PR crowd will jump on you now. Don't you know you can't show any connection between Ireland and Celtic.

Yeah its to do with the vomiting us non celtic fans have to endure while listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He has a point tho. The All-Ireland champions parading their trophy around a British football ground seems a bit like rubbing it in. Have we learnt nothing from the orange marches?

Whats next, England parading around Croker with the WorldCup trophy in 2007?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Flex wrote:

a northern irish team parading an irish trophy around a scottish football stadium.

surely that must be seen as bridging the great divide between our nations?

although, im sure theres no room in there for an englishman to join in the parade....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic and Ireland have a link?? Delete that post now. :eek:

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7843/keanodisplay4kl.jpg
    Shivers down the spine seeing a foreign team wave our colours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Shivers down the spine seeing a foreign team wave our colours!

Its ok just dont puke on your keyboard after looking at it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tyrone are going to parade their trophy around a soccer stadium, and not even a Irish one.

Was it not all the northern counties that voted against opening Croke.

Oh the hypocrisy.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

redspider wrote:
    This is just tabloid news.

Bill Aitken has no connections with Celtic. There are many people in Scotland that wouldnt want to see Sam Maguire paraded at Celtic, but not Celtic people. Most though dont care and that would be most of the Rangers fans.

This story is trying to stir-up whats not there.

redspider

I must agree with you there, Conservative & Unionst MSP Bill Aitken loves being up there banging on about any problems in Scottish society but he struggles with answers for them.

Applehunter I see Cork City at the end of your post, if your from Cork please remember that the Rebels were at the top of the queue when it came to not allowing Croker to be opened to foreign sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

eirebhoys wrote:
    Applehunter I see Cork City at the end of your post, if your from Cork please remember that the Rebels were at the top of the queue when it came to not allowing Croker to be opened to foreign sports.

I think you'll find that it was Frank Murphy and his supporters that denied democracy in Cork. And if your from Cork you'll know what I'm talking about.

This is to do with Tyrone not Cork.

BTW, when Nemo Rangers won the All-Ireland club football championship 2 years ago they paraded the trophy around Turners Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Excellent news, look forward to seeing it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement