Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this Projector please

Options
  • 20-01-2006 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Thinking of purchasing a projector as have had a lend of one and am impressed. Not too clever on HD compatability or resolutions etc.. Need some advice. I've browsed a couple of sites and found this projector at a resonable price (€1270.00)

http://www.benq.co.uk/Products/Projector/index.cfm?product=553

Is this good value?
    Am I mad buying a projector?
    Does it support HDTV?

Any help or opinions greatly recieved, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

coghlac3 wrote:
    Thinking of purchasing a projector as have had a lend of one and am impressed. Not too clever on HD compatability or resolutions etc.. Need some advice. I've browsed a couple of sites and found this projector at a resonable price (€1270.00)

http://www.benq.co.uk/Products/Projector/index.cfm?product=553

Is this good value?
    Am I mad buying a projector?
    Does it support HDTV?

Any help or opinions greatly recieved, thanks.

Yeah, well it does support HDTV i.e it handles 720p. 720p is it's native resolution so that's what it would work best on, that the same resolution that the xbox 360 can output. It also handle 480p for progressive scan DVD players, 576p, and 1080i. The only thing it doesn't handle is 1080p, but very few TVs or projectors in Europe support that at the moment.

I don't know if you should get a projector, or if it's good value. I was thinking of getting a HDTV and I was settling on this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=SPK. It's the LE32R51B Samsung that has been mentioned several times here on Boards.

Where did u find this projector ar this price btw? If I had a bigger room I could be tempted by a good projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That looks like a very good deal at that price, but it says it is HD Compatable not HD ready, it only has vga, composite and s video connections. There is a difference between HDTV Compatible and HD Ready. Google it for more info.

Are you mad to buy a projector?? No not at all I wouldn't buy a large plasma or LCD ever since I have bought a projector. What size is your room and how bright is it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

http://www.bil.ie/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_BenQ_Projectors_968.html

This is the company I found thru Google.

I think the main reason i would be looking at a projector would be it's mobility. Would use it in three rooms, bedroom, sitting room, but mostly the attic. The attic has a black out blind on it so lighting there isn't an issue there. The sitting room is long and I hope that by closing blind and curtains on the end where the screen would be that should cover that issue. As far as the bedroom goes I wouldn't be using it there that often.

The attic and sitting room are easily big enuf to get full benefit of a projector. Had a trial run last night with out a screen and simply used a blind the size of the window and worked great. Am borrowing a screen this weekend so will have a better idea of exactly what the view is like then!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

HD ready, means it should have atleast a HDMI and/or DVI with HDCP and has a resolution of 1280x720p

HD compatable however menas that the resolution may be HD, but getting it there is trickier, (ie your only choice is the VGA)
    It also means that a tv thats not a HD resolution of 1280x720p but had HD connections (HDMI, DVI, Component) can accept the HD signal and downconvert it to the TV, PJ native resolution.

ie: My PJ is a 480p projector, however its HD compatable and can accept all HD signals via component and downconvert them to the display resolution.

BTW i have this PJ, it may be a better buy (and is cheaper, i paid €650 for mine) as it has DVI and component and is a native widescreen, and pretty much the same spec as your only it has less lumens output, but isnt XGA.

http://www.benq.co.uk/products/Projector/?product=489&page=specifications

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've been using mine in the sitting room for 2 years and have actually been thinking of slabbing the attic and moving it up there. Lighting really is the big issue with projectors so the attic is a great place to put it just the velux black out blinds and your in complete darkness. You really need black out lining on curtains for the sitting room to get proper darkness, although the projector your looking at has 2700 ANSI Lumens which is very bright.

For a screen I would suggest getting 2 sheets of ply wood and join them together, then purchase some screen cloth and cover the sheets, you now have an affordable quality screen. You will find a few places sell the cloth one place I have come across is http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/screenfabric.html.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I wouldnt advise you to get that projector, id recommend a Panasonic AE700... http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=311010&cks=SER .
    Slightly more expensive, but its HD ready, with a native resolution of 1280x720, which is 720p exactly.It can take 1080i aswell.
    It has all the necessary connections, as anybody buying a display right now is shooting themselves in the foot by not getting a HDMI connection on it.
    No your not mad buying a PJ I thought the same but seeing friends set up properly I wouldve been mad not to get one.
    Be warned youll never be able to look at a movie on a smaller screen again though.
    (P.S. I have one myself, couldnt complain.)

(Sparky-s your definition of HD Ready is wrong i believe, HD Ready means the display should have one digital input HDCP enabled i.e. HDMI, DVI-D and one analog i.e.component, vga)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Don't buy that benq if your primary use is home cinema. It will display video, but it is 4:3 and designed primarily as a boardroom presentation PJ not for home cinema.

I'd vote for a Panny AE900 (or a 700 to save a few quid), or one of the new Hitachi TX200s.

Make sure you buy a PJ designed and sold as a Home Cinema unit
    The main choices are DLP and LCD. I wouldn't advise buying a DLP projector before seeing the actual unit running, as some people find 'rainbow' artifacts ruin their viewing pleasure - not all though, so have a look first.

Clank wrote:
    (Sparky-s your definition of HD Ready is wrong i believe, HD Ready means the display should have one digital input HDCP enabled i.e. HDMI, DVI-D and one analog i.e.component, vga)

I do believe you are correct, thanks for correcting that ;)

pH wrote:
    Don't buy that benq if your primary use is home cinema. It will display video, but it is 4:3 and designed primarily as a boardroom presentation PJ not for home cinema.

I'd vote for a Panny AE900 (or a 700 to save a few quid), or one of the new Hitachi TX200s.

Make sure you buy a PJ designed and sold as a Home Cinema unit
    The main choices are DLP and LCD. I wouldn't advise buying a DLP projector before seeing the actual unit running, as some people find 'rainbow' artifacts ruin their viewing pleasure - not all though, so have a look first.

Yep.
    Dont go DLP unless your spending upwards of 2k on one as the cheaper ones you will suffer from the rainbow effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

... I have the Benq PE7700 which is their first purpose built HD Ready machine. The one to have if you are buying BENQ but it will cost you closer to €2k. I think the new Panesonic AE900 and Sanyo Z4 are supposed to be better machines. The technology here does take a leap every 6 months. The PE7700 was the machine to have 6 months ago. Rainbows do effect some people. I can't notice on a DLP unless I focus in on one point on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Do you guys use your projectors all the time, or just for movies & sports?

Just movies, Xbox 360, and sports.
    Ive a 28" CRT below the screen for normal tv.
    Eastenders does NOT look good 80" wide.

movies and the odd game, but mainly movies

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

Movies, sport, concert DVDs some TV e.g. Lost. You don't want to watch the likes of the news on an 86" screen unless of course Sharon NiBheolain is reading it.

Moorsie wrote:
    Movies, sport, concert DVDs some TV e.g. Lost. You don't want to watch the likes of the news on an 86" screen unless of course Sharon NiBheolain is reading it.

the TG4 weather girls look great on a 100" screen btw ;)

Advertisement