Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF Online

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seen this a few months ago,does look impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

As soon as my credit card clears from my new machine I'm gonna get this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm tempted to buy it but I know I won't subscribe for more than a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

huh ... did I read that right, you are paying to play a beta? .... it doesnt once mention the full game, just beta :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

no, you read it wrong.

Its kinda a common thing some MMORPGS are doing lately. When you pre-order the game you get a beta key and are allowed to join the beta.

Kinda nifty, tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

All ready signed up !! :D

Really looking forward to it, although for the first time in years I havent down any background into the world at all, dont have any idea about classes, talents, how to spec, What you can do, what you cant.

Has anyone decided what fraction your going to play ? any idea's on classes yet ?

If anyone has a decent link that summerise's the whole RFLine world I would really appreciate it :) or even some good websites found. im swamped with a project atm so really dont have time to troll the web although in saying that I "could" be finished this weekend and if so ill post up what I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Preordered! See you all in the closed beta!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yea i was checking this game out a long time ago
    it looks interesting with the factions and all but i dont like the sound of some things about it , the way the pvp works doesnt sound very interesting to me ,
    and i looks like lineage 2 with guns :rolleyes:
    the magic race look almost identicle to the elfs from l2 which is anoying cause i hate those elfs,
    the other races look very odd to ,but il wait and see how it turns out could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Update on Play.com says release date of 24th Feb now, with the beta being before the 3rd Feb.

If you are into the interview thing, oodles and oodles of stuff here:
    http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/682/682675p1.html

(check the links at the bottom or the RF Online category at the top)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i've also pre-ordered this game, though the games i'm REALLY looking forward to are..
    darkfall online and Archlord (kinda, don't know much about it yet).
    The Beta phase 1 has started and over the next 2-3 weeks all pre-order customers will have their keys activated, can't wait to try this game out i've been waiting for a good while since quitting wow for something else to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'm kind of looking for a WoW replacement too at the moment. I've just lost so much interest in the game. RF looks a bit grindy though, or is the pvp not just end level?

quozl wrote:
    I'm kind of looking for a WoW replacement too at the moment. I've just lost so much interest in the game. RF looks a bit grindy though, or is the pvp not just end level?
    I've kinda replaced WoW with Football Manager at the mo :P But hopefully RF will give me a good run for the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Drakar wrote:
    Update on Play.com says release date of 24th Feb now, with the beta being before the 3rd Feb.
    3 weeks of Beta testing seems awfully short, is it already released somewhere else or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭In IRL

http://ranking.empas.com/review/artdesc_list.html?artsn=8403969&psn=0&ls=ls&pq=ct%3D1154%26lurl%3Dart_list.html%253Fpsn%253D1154%2526o%253D4%2526d%253D1%2526p%253D7%26f%3DB%26q%3Drf%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26sisavotepre%3D%25252Ffight%25252Ffight_view.html%25253Fartsn%25253D205214

this game has been out in south korea since april, 2004.

the korean players rate it 3.5 ish out of 5 (circa 120 raters)
    but the 95 comments and 39 user reviews seem to be real positive.

this is a link to some screenshots. even the black ones work.
    http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=212&search_site_idx=14

these are some movies.
    http://www.inven.co.kr/rf/movie/rf_video_640_final.wmv
    http://stream.inven.co.kr/rfonline_ether.wmv

server is located in S.Korea so may be a bit slow. havent had a look at the vidz but theyre supposed to be good. watch if interested

For people who have preordered, RFOnline phase 2 codes are now active, so you should be able to download the client from Fileplanet and upgrade your subscription with the beta code you received when you preordered.
    http://www.codemasters.co.uk/rfonline/news.php?id=196&articletype=News

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Drakar wrote:
    For people who have preordered, RFOnline phase 2 codes are now active, so you should be able to download the client from Fileplanet and upgrade your subscription with the beta code you received when you preordered.
    http://www.codemasters.co.uk/rfonline/news.php?id=196&articletype=News
    Did you get your pre-order code Drak? I've heard nothing from game so far.

quozl wrote:
    Did you get your pre-order code Drak? I've heard nothing from game so far.
    I got mine a week ago, ingame name's "Felicitia", gimme a msg if you see me :)

Yeah I got mine last week too, and a mail today to remind me from Play.com that the system was open today. I got mine on the 23rd, from newsletter@play.com (which my mail system cleverly decided was spam so I had to rescue it). Have a look to see is it in your spam folder somewhere, otherwise contact play.com.

Oops, just noticed you got yours from Game, I'll leave the above details here anyway for people who may have ordered theirs from play (Play sent out in batches so alot of people would have got them at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I've been playing the beta, I haven't invested a LOT of time in it because I know there is a char wipe due at the end, so right now i'm just trying stuff out and learning the game... so far here are the "good and the bad" the way i see it.

Bad - Pre-order download on file planet is lame. You are paying extra for the pre-order (most outlets charge this) yet you gotta either pay for a file planet sub or wait in some lame queue for a couple of hours just to download? Not to mention all file planet subscribers get to pre-order anyway (end anti-corporate rant).

Good - the game looks like it's gonna have meaning full pvp (to an extent) and there seems to be a lot of freedom in terms of what you can do. Which is really a very refreshing break from the hand holding of WoW, which is great for newbies to the MMO genre (and still one of the best MMO's on the market IMO), but vets tire of it soon enough.

My early overall impressions is that this is basically DAOC2 without the relics and keep takes. I don't really see myself playing this game as exhaustively as otehr MMO's that i've gotten into, but it looks like a solid, fun MMO that will keep me going till W.A.R. and Darkfall Online come out.

It's definately worth buying for the first month of free play anyway for anyone who is bored and looking for an MMO to play. How good the longevity of the game is would be hard to say at this stage as I've realised that one's experience and attitude of MMO's changes drastically once you start to reach the end game.

I'll try and post a more thorough Review later on when the game is closer to retail.

Edit: Just to add this game really IS daoc 2 or even an upgraded graphics rip off of DAOC. There are SOME unique features, the skill leveling system is very nice and pretty unique to the genre atm. But the whole 3 faction warfare, and core design is very DAOC propelled. That's not a bad thing since imo DAOC is overall the best MMO i ever played (though it's declined a lot since). I do weight good meaningfull PvP very heavily and this is something that RFO looks like it will provide.

• Advertisement

The mining seems a bit silly what I've seen of it, in that people just seem to log in for 8 hrs and leave their character ticking away in the mining area unsupervised. Since this seems to be one of the main reward drivers behind pvp it's a bit cwap. The interface seems a bit lacking too if you compare it to the other games available at the moment (somewhat like Anarchy Online. doesn't seem to be facilities for player addons etc). I've only got like level 15 characters so I can't really talk about the pvp, but it would be interesting to hear what people who have participated in it think...

A flavor of the joys of having the players with the best pvp scores lead your race:
    http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1000067&postcount=64

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Started playing on Spirit, Tag: Statix

Liking what Ive seem so far, still only lvl 16 or so but yeah the whole game looks nice so far. Cash Drops etc seem really easy to get but thats probably a beta thing.

Once I pop 30 and get my MAU ill see how the PvP goes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Accretia ftw! On the spirit server also TAG: R0ot Just hit lvl 24 before the servers went down, hopefully theyll be back up soon and ill get myself into a big CW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

I preordered the game from play.com on Wednesday. Does anyone know which day of thw week the beta keys are released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WillDevil

I also pre ordered my copy of RF from play.com on wednesday... My friend told me they dish out codes every wednesday and thought i might catch my code that day but nothin. I phoned play.com to ask about the beta code but the woman on the phone said they give them out friday / saturday, and if id still not got mine by sunday to ring again. Being impatient i rang again saturday and the woman told me they give them out monday / tuesday... So it seems they have no idea when there goin send codes out... At this rate the game will go live before i get ma code to try it out.... Think ill ring in the morning, but ill prob be told codes get sent out on wednesday / thrusday (being the only days left they aint said codes are given out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

So is this any good then? From what I've read in a few other places it sounds kind of ****ty but I'd be curious to hear what the verdict is after a few weeks of beta.

My copy arrived in the mail today. I don't really intend to play it much, but my brother likes it. I found the interface and things annoying, but again I didn't get to the PvP stage, it would be interesting to hear what someone who dabbled with that thought...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My copy arrived in the mail today. I don't really intend to play it much, but my brother likes it. I found the interface and things annoying, but again I didn't get to the PvP stage, it would be interesting to hear what someone who dabbled with that thought...

Heres a link to a nice little review from one of our clan/communiuty members.
    http://www.gunsforfun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1366

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

god I am so sorry I bought this game.. what a total pile of crap.

Graphics are about average. The game itself is just basically linage in space.

No depth, the UI is painful to use and everything is mouse control. Add to that its currently buggy, for example the rez button does not work you have to wait 5 mintues.

Advertisement