Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF Online

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

What I find so annoying is that yes the interface is crap, and then to mine you just leave your character afk all the time overnight. What this means is that your PC is running 24 hrs a day (as you essentially get free money for mining), but there's no reason for it. As I said, pvp is it's only hope methinks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ok I can't see myself playing beyond the 30 day limit. Here is what I tried so far.

1. Installation. No problems there. I do notice I can max it out but it is no where near maxing out past my machine settings. Something which other recent games/mmo can do.

2. Registering. The actual program doesn't have anywhere on it to tell you where to register at all. You find it on the paper you get with the game.

Once I created the account though I found I Couldn't log in at all. Doing a search on the problem I found it can take 15 minutes to 2 hours before you get access. *sheesh* So I left it for over 2 hours.

3. Into the game. Character creation. First you pick your race. Took me a while to figure out how to switch to different races as UI isn't great. Took the magic race.

Now I am into pick my character where there are very limited choices (bare in mind I play COH/COV). I also notice I Can't play with the skills all that much. Seems to be locked down.

So now I pick a name, or rather I spend 3 minutes trying to find a name that isn't already taken. Which is impressive for a new game. Eventually find a name for the character and I am into the game.

I sit through screenshot after screenshot until I hit escape.

4. Tutorial.
    One word. PAINFUL. Remember those games on the GBA where the screen hadn't enough room to print everything so you had a tickertape where you had to hid a button after each dialog. Well its like that. They have a tiny box of text as well. Hitting skip just stops the ticker tape and you have to click again to move on.

Horribly slow tutorial and is in no way helpful. I gave up halfway after 5 minutes clicking. This is the first character so I can read the tutorial later.

5. The game.
    So now I am standing in what appears to be a city. However as graphics go the city is very bland. I am comparing this to COV/COH/AC2/EQ2. I am not impressed at all. Graphics are nothing like what it is on the box.

It is very boxy looking, fake looking. For example City of Villians, you can wander down a street, there is graffitti on the walls, people walking around and homeless in the corners or baddies talking/doing tricks. You might see broken gutters, signs to shops, etc. In RF it is a wide open space empty except for other confused people wandering around.

Another thing lag. I walk along only to freeze then appear ahead of myself. Doesn't happen often though. I wander up a walkway with people there. Try talking but I get the impression I am being ignored or I have the wrong channel setting.

Still have no clue what to do. I mess about with my settings, get my wand setup and shotcuts. Wander around some more. I am lost. I find what looks like a teleporter that everyone is running into so I follow them in. Gives me a list of places to go to. So I pick the desert as the others sound like mining zones.

I end up at a desert, loads of other people here so I think this is the levelling place. I wander out to the first baddie and proceed to try and figure out how to hit them. I press "Slash" which goes halfway though the motions before I hear a whoosh! then I am lying dead on the ground. Nice thought put into the game where a newbie can wander into high level content so easy.

There is a big button saying "If you want to revive press this otherwise wait five minutes". I spend a minute trying to figure out how to revive as obviously the button does not work.

So I log out and try another character.

This time I go for a robot. Or rather I try to. Turns out you can't pick another race on the same server. So I delete the mage and create a robot character.

Not wanting to spend ages picking a name I used the name of the character I deleted.

So now again I am in annoying tutorial mode. I go through a bit of it but still annoying so I exit out.

I zone into a base. However it is at this point I Realise it is not possible to jump (or if it is they have hidden it). Did I mention to move around is horrible? its mouse based. Why is jump important? Well they felt the need to put me on higher area to where I am to go so I have to walk all the way around to find a ramp and walk down to outside.

Outside now the place is swarming with what looks like bees. Woot something to kill. Everything is horribly camped by others killing them. Trying to find one someone else isn't opening up on is trickey.

I then figure out how to load and use my gun. Which made me wonder I have all these powers when I can only use a gun?

I spend the next minute or so firing at a wasp. Missing over and over. Normally a bad sign your in a high level area. Then I hit the wasp and get its attention. After the 3rd hit from the wasp I realise I'm not going to win this fight and try to run. No joy.. dead. Can't revive... screw this. Logged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Just some quick tips, you can set the movement to standard WSAD movement if you press G or H or something and there's an option there. Also when you are starting, the initial mobs you should be aiming for are just outside the base, so don't take teleporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Naaa I tried it again but the game is just total kack. Cancelled the subscription. Shame I can't get a refund. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Argh... why didn't I read this thread...

Bought it today.

I agree completely with everything Hobbes has said. This is absolutely horrible stuff.

I think I'll have to wait for Phantasy Star Universe for a decent science fiction MMORPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

worst episode ever

im so glad i didnt fork out the cash for this, i had it and C&C first decade in my hand.

thank you command and conquer from the bottom of my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

My copy arrived last week but I haven't even opened the box yet, the Beta was so crap that I didn't even bother after 2 days... what a pile of shoite.

Advertisement