Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blow ins

Options
  • 20-01-2006 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Ive seen the term blow ins used a lot used on this forum id just like to take this opportunity to tell some people to get over ourselves, whats so special about grey stones that people cant come and live here if they so choose ? Ive been living in the area nearly 5 yrs now before i moved to charlesland how long to i have to live in an area before im considered a local :rolleyes:
    some people seemed to be under the impression that the development was going to turn greystones into ballymun take your head out of your arses and cop on every local business owner in the area has benefited from this development and so have the local sports clubs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I met someone at the Dart Station who was telling me that her parents moved to Greystones 15 years ago and are still considered "Blow In's"

This kind of attitude screams "old world ignorance".

However I doubt you’ll actually meet them! Do you think any of them would actually go near Charlesland? They’ll keep their ramblings to the confines of their home’s and the local.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I haven't noticed any antagonism towards so-called "blow-ins" on this forum... (except for the moron on the original thread who referred to Charlesland as the Ghetto)

If you build new houses, new people will move in. The population of Greystones has more than doubled in the last 20 years - so probably the majority of people living in the town are blow-ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

My family been living here for nigh on twenty years and we're still considered blow-ins. There's a anglo irish minority of what would be called old greystones still around who would look down on us blow ins. No hostility on these boards though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Apparently...some of the "WASP" locals who refer to Charleland as ghetto or whatever, also reffered to Eden Gate as Little Coolock :D €1m+ public housing..nice!!

I'm not in the slightest bit insulted by any of these monikers, it says more about the prejudices of the mouthpieces than it does their subjects. I'm especially not insulted by being called a blow-in...I am a blow-in! :eek:

My sister-in-law's family come from a town in The Peak District where they refer to anyone new to the village as a "comer". There's a 67 year old man lives there who moved there with his family when he was 4 and they still call him a "comer" :D

Most of us blow-ins are with the locals in objecting to the Marina and they appreciate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2Tagz

My family been living here for nigh on twenty years and we're still considered blow-ins. There's a anglo irish minority of what would be called old greystones still around who would look down on us blow ins. No hostility on these boards though.

My mother's family has been living in Greystones for 300 years going back to the days when it was 2 shacks & fishing boat.. I would still be considered a blow-in because my father's an "outsider" (ie from Dublin). I think you'll find the same attitudes in towns all around the fringes of the city which have grown considerably over the last 20 years; many people in these towns have become resentful of a loss of their identity; I would consider myself a Wicklowman but I see more and more Dub jerseys around the place every year.. Maybe in 20 years Greystones people will be paying their rates to the "Greater Dublin Council", who knows? We'll probably be better of than with the WCC in that case though to be honest.. BTW you talk about an "anglo-irish minority of old Greystones"; Greystones was essentially a Cromwellian plantation town which had a protestant majority population well into the 20th century, indeed it was the most protestant town in Ireland outside of Ulster for many years. Most of these people were "working class" people; fishermen, tradespeople, shopkeepers. This population base is miniscule now relative to the size of the town (I'm a proddie myself), and has in itself been subsumed by other protestant "blow-ins" :) over the years. Nowadays new residents of Greystones are much more likely to face snobbery from the children of people who moved to the town & trebling it's population during the 1960's/70's/80's. Our days as "kings of the hill" in Greystones were finished when they burned down the Orange hall during the civil war.. ;) Personally I've nothing against greater development here (it used to be such a dreary little town) but I hope they get the infrastructure right & facilities in place so that it doesn't end up becoming a frustrating place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Great post 2Tagz. I was aware of the Protestant history of the town, but good to hear the family history and about developments since sixties and seventies etc.

Very sorry to hear about the demise of the Orange Hall though (not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

I'm a blow-in and I'm proud.

You'd think that the locals would appreciate a bit of outside culture being brought to the town.
    It's not as if we're the spawn of a colonial empire arriving to annex Greystones.

Still waiting to see my first Dubs jersey...probably a bit cold at the moment.....then it's only a matter of time until the Celtic shirts come out!

Vive la difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

I'm a blow-in and I'm proud.

You'd think that the locals would appreciate a bit of outside culture being brought to the town.
    It's not as if we're the spawn of a colonial empire arriving to annex Greystones.

Still waiting to see my first Dubs jersey...probably a bit cold at the moment.....then it's only a matter of time until the Celtic shirts come out!

Vive la difference.

the first sign of a sellthick jersey and im outa here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 face-the-phase

I'v lived in Greystones all my life and to be honest i'm just jealous i'll probably never be able to live here as it will beyond me financially :( ( training to be a nurse) By the looks of it i'll be lucky too be able to afford a house in any close proximity to greystones :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭girliegirl

Marcais wrote:
    Most of us blow-ins are with the locals in objecting to the Marina and they appreciate this.
    Sorry if Im misunderstanding this, but isn’t that a case of pot calling the kettle black… probably not the right phrase. But Ive lived in Greystones all my life and believe me I love the “blow-ins” as they are called by some! It brings new businesses and facilities to the town that we never had before so I’m all for it.
    However this post sounds to me like now that you’re here you don’t want anyone else here… hey if you were able to move here, don’t you think others should too.
    I’m all for the harbour development… it seems that the committee who are against this have been bending the truth quite a lot, saying things that haven’t been said by others etc etc… but hey that’s a whole other topic!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

girliegirl, if you have a read through some of the other threads you'll see that the Marina is a very sore point on this board. Given that you've resurrected this thread, you must have seen the others.

Have a read of the Charter in the stickies, particularly in relation to trolling and flamebait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

As, a community it always seemed to me that Geystones was multi facet anyway. Theres the old proddie anglo Irish Burnaby set, the Wickla crowd who seem to have nothing in common with the former and then the catholic middle class rugger bugger types , who are different again. Charlesland itself is made up of a huge range of indentities. Poles, English, returned exiles(like me)who dont really give a **** about people who talk about blowins. The kind of people who say things like blow in are usually people who have never really been out of their hometowns and whose personality reflects that. Strangely, I dont mix with them so I dont hear the phrase very much. I remember a certain Liam Cosgrave using the phrase in the 70's. As he epitimises the stereotype provincial politician for me, I think I will wear my blow in t shirt with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gwenneh

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care that I'm considered a "blow-in". On the other side, my husband's family has lived here for generations...big deal.

Advertisement