Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatrate ISDN???

Options
  • 20-01-2006 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

just wondering does anybody have any advice on this:

I (like so many others) am living in an area where broadband isn't and, somehow I think never will, be availible.

My first option was to look at sat bb (/me makes noise like Sideshow Bob stepping on a rake) and the only company that's doing it (afaik) is digiweb {cue another Sideshow Bob-esque mutter}
    Now, let's just say Digiweb and myself have crossed paths before and I found their service to be terrible, their equipment to be faulty and as for their so called "engineers"...
    I've also heard from many sources, and indeed from reading here, that they're not exactly the most expedient of people; Ballybackwards had no broadband yet Eircom deliver it before the damn Digiweb dish gets there kinda deal.
    And then there's the expense - that's a lot of money for, what's basically, terrible service.

And so, rather than that, and, rather than my V92 modem (vrooom!) my only other option is ISDN. (unless you guys can think of something else)
    However I don't much like the idea of paying for two phonecalls - esp considering I'd want to keep the connection open for emails, messenging, etc, etc.

Now I know there are many companies who do flat rate services but would that include isdn also?
    Does anyone know of a basic, flat rate isdn package which also includes line rental rather than pay it to €irscum (/me steps on six rakes in sucession)

Therefore, with no DSL or wireless, I'm looking for an alternative to sat bb that won't break the bank.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Eircom, BT and UTV flat rate is useable on ISDN. Single channel 64K only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sham-paggin

hmm - yeah, but no way to get dual chanell no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

hmm - yeah, but no way to get dual chanell no?

I used to work for eircom and they do have dual chanell ISDN - a blistering 128k.

And you can set it up with flat rate.

Please note with dual chanell flat rate you get half the hours if you always have
    both chanells on.

eg. Flat rate 60 = 60 hours @ 64k
    or 30 hours @ 128k

you have been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sham-paggin

Combine 2 flat rate packages to give over 300 hours for over 50 bucks or so.

friaco A - used during the day.
    friaco B - an evening and weekends option.

friaco A and B are run on seperate chanells but never @ the same time, instead I use 64k until say 6pm, then friaco b during the night.

If at any time I really need more speed I can then dial the second chanell whenever I want so, during the day both chanells friaco A, evening and weekends, both chanells friaco B - it'd be a nightmare to sort out of course, and I'd be much like one of those old-skool telephone operators plugging and unplugging cables all the time but I'd theoretically get max 360hours for under sixty bucks - minus ISDN line rental of course - but it'd still be cheaper than satellite and still a hellovva lot better.

Only thing is - how do their nasty ole terms and conditions deal with that ****? I don't think it'd be a problem though, just dialing one number all day and another all night. Chanell A&B would be seen as seperate phone lines anyway wouldn't they?

Advertisement