Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you mount your tax disc

Options
  • 20-01-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I used to have my tax disc mounted in a cheapo tax disc holder just above the numberplate on the rear of my bike.

It must have fallen off on the way in to work today, so now I have to apply for a replacement. :mad:

The holder had been loose, but I had it bolted on with three nuts, a few washers etc... so I'm at a loss to understand how it fell off on a 30 minute journey. :confused:

I was just wondering where other people put the tax disc on their bikes? Does it actually need to stay attached to the bike all the time?

Would I be better off attaching it to my keyring, or keeping it with my licence and insurance details in my wallet?

Ho-hum - now I get to go to Garda station tomorrow to get them to sign a form so I can spend two hours queuing on Monday to get replacement disc.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Technically it must be displayed on the vehicle. On my last bike, I just never bothered buying a holder, I just carried it around in my wallet with my licence. Anytime I was stopped, the Garda was happy enough for me to present it. My current bike came with a cheapo holder, though it's very secure. It's less hassle to have it in that tbh. When you're stopped, the Garda looks at the disk and waves you on. You don't have to take off your gloves, get out your wallet, try to explain to the Garda why you're not carrying insurance details, etc etc.

The only time I can see it being an issue is when your bike is parked in a public place. But I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket on their bike for non-display of tax while parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I have mine in a holder on my key. was stopped by a guard a few nights ago who went straight to the back looking for it! that it was on my key didnt make a difference once he saw it. I'd say its because it was easily visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

i keep mine clipped to my bag, Ive heard of people photocopying them and using the copy in the holder, anyway thats my twopence

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Under the tiny windscreen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

In front pocket of my jacket along with my insurance details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

On a bog-standard tax holder that is however conveniently 'rotatable' over part of the reg' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ambro25 wrote:
    On a bog-standard tax holder that is however conveniently 'rotatable' over part of the reg' :D

LOL!!! Have seen quite a few R1's et al like that, with the small no_plates too.
    Oh well... Some day...

Anyway,

I carry the tax and insurance in my jacket pocket. I have heard anecdotally that having your real tax disc on the bike can be easily stolen for display on another vehicle, hence why I don't do that. Well that and the fact that the tax holder broke off (without the disc in it). So at least I can point the remnant of the holder and say "that is why I have the disc in my pocket".

Never had a problem with the Gardai anyway. Only once did I have to do the whole gloves off, unzip jacket, show disc, zip jacket, gloves on...

L.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ive got one of them steely chromey holders, mounted just behind and to the left of my head lamp, can remove it w/o an allen key and noone looks there for it. have to point it out to the cops teh whole time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

nereid wrote:
    LOL!!! Have seen quite a few R1's et al like that, with the small no_plates too.
    Oh well... Some day...

Don't feel too bad - no R1 or monster cc's here, just a piddly electric moped that's struggling beyong 50 kph... but old (eminently repressible) habits die hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

mounted on the back of my licence in my wallet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I keep both of mine at home in a drawer and I'll produce it to the local garda shop within 10 days if asked. Might be stopped about twice a year at a checkpoint if even that. I've also heard of them being nicked off motorbikes anecdotely too, and it not worth the hassle of risking it. Who wants to queue and pay double tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Slaanesh wrote:
    In front pocket of my jacket along with my insurance details.

Same here. A few times I've been stopped and as I went to take off gloves and get it, the copper just waved me on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I keep mine with my insurance certifactes and licenses in my jacket pocket. I have a tax disk holder mounted off the same screws that fix on the number plate, I'm keeping my eye out for some red reflective tape I saw knocking around work once to put in it.

I've come across maybe half a dozen checkpoints while on the bike, I've always filtered to the front of the queue, nodded at the Garda and been waved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Yeah tax disc lives in my wallet, with insurance details, never any problems when stoped, and hey gives you a chance to have a chat with a bored cop!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cops have never asked me for mine at a checkpoint, just been waved through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I used to keep it on the front exhaust screen on the dragstar. Its right on the front cylinder. Was very hard to see. So most gards just waved me on. One Bangarda pulled me over on wicklow street "for driving like michael schumacher" although when I explaned it was the fat pipes I have installed on the bike that make it seem louder and like I am going "faster" than I really am. She was having none of it... it was nice to see her get down on her hands and knees to look at it :D :v: :cool:

When she said it has to be displayed on the number plate, I took great joy in explaning how it only has to be on the bike or persons driving the bike and that it doesn't have to be displayed as such.

It was funny to have all the people outside the bar accross the (small) road start claping as she walked away.

I've since changed that to the inside of my wallet, since I found my disk holder bent out of shape like someone was trying to take off the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I keep it inside my inside pocket of my bike jacket in with my drivers licence.

I also keep my insurance disc in there too because I used to hate going down to the garda station with my details, very inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

I used to keep it in a holder on the number plate (yes mine was rotatable as well) However it got so wet that it became unreadable. Also when I had to change it it disintegrated as I tried to take it out.
    Now it is on my key ring. My insurance is in my wallet. Mind you I've never been asked for it in the last 4 years. Once I was asked for tax by a bored guard at a check point. I pointed to the number plate and was waved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just mounted on the right hand side, it's the first thing the Garda see's. Quick and painless ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just on my key ring for me. Stops me loosing the keys so easily really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

I have mine attached to that area above the forks just below the handlebars (GSXR). You can point at it when stopped without the hassel of taking gloves off and it's out of sight to those stupid a*sehole scumbags (pardon the rant!) who steal them .... plus, it's pretty much out of sight so it doesnt look out of place ..

Advertisement