Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to change period date

• 20-01-2006 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is possbile with the use of the pill, but can anyone tell me exactly how its done? Im going away soon, and I would rather they werent an issue.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Altering the delicate balance of natural chemicals inside your body is definitely something that you should ask a doctor about. Especially as this is not a medical forum.

[edit]
    OK, I obviously know little about women's ways.. I have been informed by a user and a PI mod that this thread is a normal female occurance and isn't quite as charter breaking as I imagined.

Sorry about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Ok, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but anytime I want to do that, I just do the following:-

If you want to delay your period for one week, when you finish one pack of pills, don't leave the normal break, just start a new pack of pills & take the next 7 of these, then take your normal 7 day break, during which time your period will come.
    After that, just continue as normal.

You can also skip an entire period in the same way, just start a new pack immediately, without leaving your 7 day break, use it to the end & then break as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

But you'll have 7 less pills in the next packet?
    What do you do then?

Dump that packet if you're unsure & just start on a fresh full packet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Most perscriptions for the pill are once you have been on them for a year filled issued for 3 to 6 mtnhs. Chump you discard the packet that you have taken the extra 7 pills from and start a full packet after the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Texas

The pill is expensive so I wouldn't be throwing it away....

OP read the leaflet that comes with your pill... the different brands I've used over the years have all said to take two packs together without a break.. ie don't stop for the usual 7 days if you want to skip a period. It may not be a magic solution as you can still get some spotting.

Alternatively, if she doesn't want to skip a period, keep the partly used packet for the next time she wants to take an extra 7 (or whatever) days to avoid yet another occasion. (instead of partly using lots of different packets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The brand I take (Microlite) says to take two packets back to pack (ie 42 days continuous) and then take a 7-day break and resume as normal. I've personally never heard of only taking 7 pills from a pack.

Read carefully the leaflet that comes in the box, and if you have any more questions, visit your GP.

be prepared for some spotting to occur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

No offence guys but all information above is wrong. If you were to take 7 pills from the next packet and then disgard the rest you would then not be protected and risk pregnancy.

BoozyBabe was correct in saying that You can also skip an entire period in the same way, just start a new pack immediately, without leaving your 7 day break, use it to the end & then break as normal. and Texas is right also ie don't stop for the usual 7 days if you want to skip a period. It may not be a magic solution as you can still get some spotting. as is Dudara.

That would offer you full protection. Again, I'd advise you to check it out with your local GP/Well Woman Clinic and seek expert advice before doing anything. They will be able to tell you over the phone so you can avoid the consultation fee.

Enjoy your hols btw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Texas wrote:
    take two packs together without a break.. ie don't stop for the usual 7 days if you want to skip a period

This is exactly what my doctor advised me at Christmas. I'm on the pill microlite.

Read the documentation, if you have it, with your pill. If you don't have the documentation ask a pharmacist for it.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 stingy

To skip a period, you run two packs together, one after the other, no break. You're not supposed to do it for more than three packets. That's what my doc told me anyway. Im on marviol. And yeah, there probably will be spotting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I've never heard of taking 7 pills to delay it for a week so I really wouldn't advise it. You might as well take the 2 packets back to back. That's the way that the literature recommends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Gordon wrote:
    [edit]
    OK, I obviously know little about women's ways.. I have been informed by a user and a PI mod that this thread is a normal female occurance and isn't quite as charter breaking as I imagined.

Sorry about that!
    I heart Gordon!

If I'm ever altering my due date I just go straight through 2 packs to be on the safe side.
    Or if I just want a day on either side I take 20-22 pills that month.
    Tis also quite handy to keep one pill spare for such occasions.
    Just be careful 7 days after altering anything drastically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

This thread is a revelation. I would've been with Gordon on this but am amazed. I'm glad I'm an XY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is *entirely* dependant on the kind AND brand of pill you are taking!!!

So you DEFINITELY need to talk to your doctor or your nurse.

In fact, here's a helpful number to try if you can't get to the doctor.

National Contraceptive Helpline: 1850 425 262

"changing" the date is not something to undertake lightly.

In fact, coming off the pill semi-regularly for a few months is recommended by some doctors to allow your body to go back to its "natural" rythym, every year or two.

Seriously! Medical advice.

Gordon -- your female friend is an idiot (sorry!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Also, on a side note, I am utterly shocked by the amount of women who seem to do this regularly...eeeekkkkk!

Jesus girls, this is your body, and with something like contraception I would have thought ye'd be more stringent! Running excess hormones through it isn't exactly something I'd ever think anyone would do regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html

It may be some dr but not all drs or the any of the dr, midwifes, practitioner nurses, pharmasists that I have ever spoken to or any of my family or friends has spoken to.

If that were the case the likes of the Minvera ius, the Depo-Provera and the inplant and the new form of the pill which is bening working on which will restrict periods would not in fact exsist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Smiles, I think you're overreacting a little. Every doctor I've spoken to - and growing up in a medical family, there's been many- says it's perfectly fine to take two packets of the pill together without a break. You're just not supposed to do it all the time. All the literature for the Pill says this is fine. It's not "running excess hormones" through your body at all.

You're right about taking a break from the pill, but I think you'll find it's actually every 5 years or so.

Advertisement