Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Pipes in a 6800

Options
  • 20-01-2006 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Anyone attemted to unlock the extra pipes in 6800 and what are your experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had a 6800TD several months back and unlocked it from 8 to 12 pipes. Twas remarkably easy to do and I noticed a fair whack of a difference. I can't remember the name of the piece of software as I have sinced moved to an ATI card, but if you look up unlocking a 6800 you'll find the name of the program needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i unlocked the vertex shader but not the pipelines (bad artifacts) on my xfx 6800, the program is rivatuner btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I got a friend's 6800LE to 12pixel/5vertex (stock is 8 pixel shaders and 4 vertex shaders) but it wouldn't unlock any further without glitches in games so I left it at 12/5. At stock the card was getting around 2400 in 3Dmark05, with the extra pipes this increased to just under 3000. I would like to point out that this card (a Leadtek) was clocked at a rather low stock speed on the core. It was IMO below the norm as I believe that the normal stock core speed for a LE card is normally 320 and 700 on the memory. This one was set to 300core/700memory so seeing as it had a nice large cooler (Leadtek do a v.nice copper cooler even on the LE models) I decided to try upping the clocks a little bit. To my surprise the automatic detection thing in "Coolbits" section of the Nvidia driver recommended an optimal speed of 429 core and 912 memory. I never actually tried setting the clocks this high just in case, but for a finish I modified the bios of the card and reflashed it to have clockspeed of 350 core and 850 memory. With these settings plus the 12/5 pipes the card gets around 3500 in 3Dmark05 which I think is decent for a card bought for ~€120 before Xmas on boards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah, I was able to unlock all the the pixel/vertex shaders on mine. Its a Leadtek 6800 which is meant to be one of the most likely to be able to do it. It's a nice free performance boost, and (relatively) safe to try as it's only a softmod. I wouldn't buy one expecting it to work though, there's no guarantees, and I think newer PCI-e ones are using a new core which can't be unlocked.

Advertisement