Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What does an immobiliser actually do?

Options
  • 20-01-2006 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

My Civic came with an immobilizer. All I know is that this stops the car being driven, yet I’ve heard lots of people say Civics are notoriously easy to steal and that I should buy a steering wheel lock as well.

So how does a thief work around the immobilizer? Is there any need to get a steering wheel lock as well, if the immobilizer renders the car undrivable? I’m asking this because I visit friends in Dublin every now and then, and leave my car in the city sometimes late at night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

One day i let my keys fall on the ground and and the chip in the key fell out at some stage, but i was in a car park in Dundalk and when i went to start the car not a hope.

Got it towed and reprogrammed 400e

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

My Citreon Xsara has an immobiliser. Lately it won't start. Everything comes on and the engine turns over but it just doesn't start. The immobiliser light is lit up and a long beep can be heard. The odd time I just go out to the car and it starts.

What do I have to do to get it fixed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dagon wrote:
    My Civic came with an immobilizer. All I know is that this stops the car being driven, yet I’ve heard lots of people say Civics are notoriously easy to steal and that I should buy a steering wheel lock as well.

So how does a thief work around the immobilizer? Is there any need to get a steering wheel lock as well, if the immobilizer renders the car undrivable? I’m asking this because I visit friends in Dublin every now and then, and leave my car in the city sometimes late at night.

I actually don't know how if they can "get around" it, nowadays the way to steal a car with an immobiliser is to break into the house and steal the keys.
    This way of doing it is steadily increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Thanks guys. So basically I don't have to worry in the slightest about my car being taken, unless they have the keys, and a unique chip specific to my car :)

So no need for the steering wheel lock anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

A visual deterrant can only be a good thing. Just think how you'd feel and what you'd say if you didn't spend €50 odd which could have meant you got to keep your vehicle.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Dagon wrote:
    Thanks guys. So basically I don't have to worry in the slightest about my car being taken, unless they have the keys, and a unique chip specific to my car :)

So no need for the steering wheel lock anyway!

If you still have the 1998 Civic then no - the factory fit one is excellent. However the ECU immobilizer won't stop them trashing the car:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Visual deterrents are always a good idea on any car. A big chain and big lock is best of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

ciarsd wrote:
    Visual deterrents are always a good idea on any car. A big chain and big lock is best of them all.

But why bother, if they cannot start the car then what's a big chain gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jayok wrote:

Stop amatuers from trying to start it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you've got an irish civic, you're probably ok. A japanese import will however need some additional security measures since they don't normally come with immobiloisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

jayok wrote:

might stop em from smashing into your car in the first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

As Jayok said if its an ek or 96 on irish civic then your ok,it was the older 92-95 civics that were notorious for being robbed with spoons!

When i got my clifford alarm with extra immobilisor on it the fitter said that he didnt know of anyway to get past the standard immobilisor on civics that without the key the cars going no where

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

ciarsd wrote:

I agree with that. The one night in 3 yrs I forgot to put my Disklok lock on they broke the drivers lock, ignition lock, barrel, and snapped the steering column. Then they were disturbed and fled. Cost almost 2k to get all that fixed. Impossible to get any of that 2nd hand as almost every other car thats crashed same has the same damage, or has those parts stripped.

Visual derrent stops the muppets who are too thick to know they can't steal it, and will just damage everything they can see when the realise they can't steal it. They will wreck the interior which will cost a fortune to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

My car has an immobiliser and a visual deterrent: a little red LED on the dash that lights up when the immobiliser is engaged.

Advertisement