Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Questions

• 20-01-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

1.)

After the missus was knocked down off the scooter (gilera dna50), she wont drive it and got a car.... I got a free scooter.

The problem is that the mirrors broke off in the crash, and the threads are wrecked. It would be costly to get it fixed, and I don't want to spend too much on an old scooter

I heard that you can get clip on mirrors for bikes and mopeds, but have not seen any anywhere. I have tried garages and most of them say they don't do them. I have also tried the internet, but to know avail.

Anyone know where i can get them?

2)

Basically, I have been driving a moped for about 5 years on a provisional licence, and am sick of it.

I want to (eventually) get a proper racing bike, but I want to work my way up, cos I dont want to wreck it! My friend has a Yamaha R1 and is getting rid of it at the end of the year, so offered it to me at a good price.

For a racing bike, what licence etc. is required? Can you get a provisional, or do you need a full Licence.

Im a 25 year old male in Dublin By the way.

All I have is a provisional moped. What do I do next?

Regards,

Wayne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I should add that I have never used gears before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

you need to have a full A for 2 years before you get on anything over 33bhp, not sure if its the best 1st bike either, it would kick most people off who were learning on it and trust me its a gut wretching feeling when you drop your own bike, i started on a NSR70, then a CBR250 (both used) and now on a 650 (although its still restricted), go for a few lessons (stay away from the ISM) and then pick out something that you wont mind to much WHEN you drop her, it happens to us all, chances are ill get shouted down for this but try biker.ie, you'll get a lot more advice there on what to do, both on the licence side and what bike to start on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

An R1 will be way out of your league for a number of reasons:

1. Although you've been driving mopeds, a racing bike drives differently, is much heavier, and above all else has acceleration and speed like nothing else you've ever felt. You'd be doing well if you managed two weeks on the R1 without creaming yourself against a wall, kerb or another vehicle.
    2. The R1 is well out of your legal licence range. On a provisional class A licence, you are limited to 25kW power output. This restriction continues for two years after obtaining your full licence. The R1 outputs around 110kW. Driving outside of the restriction will invalidate your licence, and therefore your insurance. If you're caught, you're screwed.
    3. Insurance will be ridiculous. 25, Dublin and male. I couldn't say how much you'd be paying, but it'd be closer to a five-figure sum than a four-figure one, for third-party only insurance.

What you will need to do is apply for a provisional class A licence. If you haven't done a driver theory test, you will need to complete one. Once you have this licence, get yourself a courier-style, 250cc bike. Many of them will weigh in at around 20kW - quite powerful (relatively speaking), but with less potential for catastrophic death. You should also be able to afford insurance on a bike this size - 25 is a key age (though not necessarily cheap) and I'm assuming you already have five years claim-free on the moped.

Get some lessons from an instrsuctor before getting on the bike (see the FAQ at the top of this forum). Apply for a test as soon as you receive your provisional licence. You're lumped in with the cars, so you'll have to wait just as long.

Thanks Chunkylover & Seamus. Advice much appreciated.

I think the next step is a 250 so I can get used to things.

Seamus, yep, I have done the theory test and I do have 5 years claim free, so the insurance should not be too bad as I will be 26 this year.

Any reccommendations for a 250?
    I really don't have a clue to be completely honest :( I like the look of the racing style ones, but safety and reliability would come before this.

Thanks,

Wayne

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

I was on the verge of buying a scooter last year until the very helpful lady in mountjoy motors persuaded me to go the motorbike route. Starting off on a 125cc, I find the bike (yamaha ybr) very comfortable, not heavy at all, and a good power output in my view.

I wouldn't jump straight onto a sports bike, get an older courier style bike...or any naked bike at that. Thats my point of view anyway, some may object.

Hth:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Honda CBR250s are fine for a starting out sports bike. Same with the likes of a FZR250. Youll still have to have it restricted but it doesnt make much much difference anyway really. There's really no major scary power to be delt with on a sports 250 and if you use your head you wont come to any more harm than is possible on a commuter bike really. If you want to be ridin sports bikes then it's really goin to be a waste of money to get a commuter bike first when you can get a sports 250 with the kind of loooks and feel (sort of) that you're after. IMO you'll probably just end up sellin the commuter one after a few months anyway if you get it. I think most people with a bit of sense would be grand on a small sports bike after a little bit of practice and training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

my last 1 was a cbr 250, cant go wrong with them really but there are a few dodgy 1s around, stay away from breakers, very comfortable and good fun, it was the bike that I got back on after being off them for 2 years

thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

any takers on this one?

After the missus was knocked down off the scooter (gilera dna50), she wont drive it and got a car.... I got a free scooter.

The problem is that the mirrors broke off in the crash, and the threads are wrecked. It would be costly to get it fixed, and I don't want to spend too much on an old scooter

I heard that you can get clip on mirrors for bikes and mopeds, but have not seen any anywhere. I have tried garages and most of them say they don't do them. I have also tried the internet, but to know avail.

Anyone know where i can get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

scorphonic wrote:
    I was on the verge of buying a scooter last year until the very helpful lady in mountjoy motors persuaded me to go the motorbike route. Starting off on a 125cc, I find the bike (yamaha ybr) very comfortable, not heavy at all, and a good power output in my view.

I wouldn't jump straight onto a sports bike, get an older courier style bike...or any naked bike at that. Thats my point of view anyway, some may object.

Hth:D
    scary mullet lady?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wbailey wrote:
    thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

any takers on this one?

how bad are the threads?

can they be re-drilled & re-tapped?

or would you have to get an adapter?

if not try here https://www.mandp.co.uk/list.aspx?noCheck=true&search=on&kw=mirror%2c

• Advertisement

the threads are pretty wrecked and the old mirrors gone.

To be honest, I just wanted something handy that did not require any work or much expense, as I am getting rid of it soon anyway. Thanks for the link, I saw a few which may fit.

Advertisement