Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can i get some feeback please...

• 20-01-2006 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Just lookin for a bit of feedback on a song I recorded recently. I hadn't recorded anything in over a year so i'm just getting back into thr swing of things...

Recorded using my yamaha keyboard and midi software

http://www.iolfree.ie/~cmccauley17/Reborn.mp3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Dude thats savage, my only criticism would be the drum sounds, the snare and kick sound decent enough but the cymbal and hi hat need to be replaced with a higher quality sound imo. Besides that I really enjoyed the track, got any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Not too bad. Like Beecher said the snare sounds a bit tinny alright. Definitely needs something with a bit more oomph. I like the strings but the hi-hat sounds like it's out of synch sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

thanks guys, i agree with the drums, only problem is im fairly restricted when it comes to choosing a drum kit using my MIDI software. I only have one set of symbals and hi-hats that I can use, does anyone know a way around this? I am using pretty old software, maybe thats the problem.

http://www.iolfree.ie/~cmccauley17/Parfum.mp3

http://www.iolfree.ie/~cmccauley17/Tempest.mp3

There's a couple of other things I did last year.

What software are you using? I would gladly send you a cd or 2 of a drum kit library with software on it if you can run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

If you want feedback on that.....

try moving your keyboard closer to the speaker in your amp, that's the way to do it.

:v: :v: :v:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Beecher wrote:
    What software are you using? I would gladly send you a cd or 2 of a drum kit library with software on it if you can run it.
    Beecher I'd be interested in some of the Drum Loop software ya have.

Any of it available for download?

Theres plenty of drum based programs online which can be downloaded but unfortunately the actual drum kits (i.e the sounds for the programs) I have are a few hundred megs in size each and extra unfortunatly I dont have download links for them (I get them from various places such as e-bay etc). I could always be persuaded to post them out to you when I get some cd-r's (which will prob be next weekend) or if you want to send me an S.A.E with 2 or 3 cd-r's in it I will gladly burn all the stuff for you.

Beacher, I'm using Evolution Audio lite MIDI software, I dont even think they make it any more, I think I could do a lot better with some proper software and a better range of instruments. That would be cool if you could send me on a few cd's or whatever, appreciate it. what software would I need for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Hi Jebuz

I reckon you definatly have a flare for it. Did you programme those piano chords yourself? Id so fair play.

Id reccommend you take a look at the computer music site here:
    http://forum.midiaddict.com/
    for any specific advice you may be looking for.
    Its also well worth your while picking up an issue of Computer Music [in Easons] which comes with a free DVD each month packed full of freebies such as software, plugins [virtual instruments etc] kits and samples.

Are you on PC or mac?
    Depending on what music youre into and what your budget is, different people will reccommend different software. Pro Tools is the closest thing to an industry standard in Europe but the lines are getting increasingly blurred with Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live, Sonar and others getting increasingly popular.

Your stuff is very midi orientated, IMHO you need to start thinking about creting new sounds using virtual synthesizers and samplers. This can all be done using the aforementioned software, and plugins, usually called VSTs.
    These massive sequencer programmes are often called VST hosts, or DAWs [digiatal audio workstation]

Personally I would reccommend you check out Ableton Live. It is a professional package which is relatively affordable and ridiculously easy to learn and make progress with. It also comes bundled with plenty of intstruments and effects including a drum machine, sampler, synth, reverb, delay etc..

best of luck

Thanks for the reply womoma,

Yeah I recorded the piano chords myself, then looped them a few times, with a little manual editing to correct the timing. Thats exactly what I'm looking for, new sounds, I find the MIDI instruments I have now are just too restricted and I do want to try creating some new sounds.

I'll have a look at that website, and maybe pick up that magazine you mentioned.

Do you have any work you've created using Albeton Live? It would be nice to check out the difference in quality before I go buying it.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Ableton isn't really a producers tool. Get yourself a proper sequencer like Cubase or something. Easier in the long run.

Hey Jebuz.

Firstly let me reccommend one more website which has a huge wealth of information about home recording:
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Regarding my stuff, I dont have much online, some older stuff at www.womoma.com, you will need a broadband connection, clicking on "change background" will change the music and the background image..

I think its important you understand the difference between audio and midi, and where the two meet.
    Midi is simply information which tells an instrument how to behave, i.e. what notes to play, their individual velocity etc.. At its most basic level [when used with a soundcard like yours] it is merely the computer equivelent of polyphonic ringtones..
    But midi information can be used to control advanced instruments such as virtual synthesizers and samplers.

With more advanced software, be it Cubase, Sonar or Ableton Live, you can design your own instruments using samplers and virtual synths. Essentally the only limit on the sounds you can produce is your own imagination and experience in sound design.

I have to disagree with Anima that if he believes Ableton Live is not a "proper" sequencer. It does have some shortfalls in advanced audio editing compared to the lifes of Cubase, but is ideal for someone who wants to get stuck into production on a budget and with an easier learning curve. Many professionals use Ableton Live alongside Pro Tools or Cubase. Ask around, dont rule out Reason 3 if youre into dance/electro.

Personally, I think where youre at right now, Ableton Live would be the most sensible investment.

Personally, I think where youre at right now, Ableton Live would be the most sensible investment.
    And how is he supposed to make new sounds with just that?

Just get Reason and then later on get Cubase/Sonar/whatever and Rewire the two together. That way you'll be able to use all the sounds/samples/machines of Reason with a professional sequencer w/VST plugins etc.

And how is he supposed to make new sounds with just that?

DUDE - ABLETON LIVE IS A VST HOST WITH MANY BIG ADVANTAGES OVER REASON!

He can use a whole huge range of free softsynths like triangle 2, synth 1, as well as the bundled plugins that come integrated into Live such as the "impulse" drum sampler, the "simpler" sampler, and the amazing "Operator" FM synthesis module....

.....aswell as the sufficient bank of sampled drum loops and drum kits.

With Ableton Live you can also save combined instruments and effects, in a similar way Reasons combinator works.

Lives advantages over Reason:
    You can record audio into it. You cant in Reason.
    It is a VST host- not a closed application, i.e Ableton Live supports plugins
    Its easy to learn and can be used for Djing and Performance.

No offence Anima, but I suspect you havent checked out Live version 5.

If anyone else wants to please do join this discussion.

I think its often subjective as to what the best major sequencer is between Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, and sometimes Sonar and DP.. but there are lots of great apps to choose from. I think Ableton is so perfect for beginners on a budget who want a bit of everything, and many pros swear by it.

By the way Jebus if youre gettin into sampling, you may wanna get your hands on an audio editor like Soundforge or Peak. AFIK Audacity is a free audio editor.

Meh I suppose, still you'll get sick of using free soft synths. They sound ****e!

Advertisement