Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering taking BT to court

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dcm

you just had bad luck and you probably should have let it go and went to eircom after 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Khannie: stfu you 455-hat <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Kristok wrote:
    Im very sorry if I offended you but perhaps if you where not talking about bringing a pointless court case based on your own misjudgement then you wouldnt get comments like that.

If you're going to apologise then do so but don't try and justify that remark.
    If you'd bothered to read Khannies first post you'd have seen he wanted to know the viability of taking a case against them. You consider it pointless but he looking for opinions from more people than yourself.

I don't see where he made a misjudgement. He was told by them it would take two weeks, he expected it in two weeks. They should have had it done in two weeks.
    Kristok wrote:
    You do realise most people dont get to work from home right ? should I sue my boss for time spent driving to and from work, surly years of petrol should not be paid for by me. In fact when im working he should pay for my lunch too, I mean if I dont eat how will I be able work properly.
    Nice tangent but this thread is not about your work situation and your work situation has no relevance to Khannie's problem. If you want to moan about your job go over to the work forum and we'll all give you some hugs.
    Kristok wrote:
    At the end of the day you didnt loose anything you where not already paying for, bb may well save you money but not till you get it so you havnt lost anything you just havnt saved anything yet.

You're wrong. By not having broadband he lost the opportunity to work at home, he wasted time driving ~2.5hrs to work, he spent money on tolls, his car has depreciated and it lessened his quality of life. Again this is all in his first post.

Had he been made aware at the outset that it would take 12 weeks he could have made alternative arrangements or gone with a different provider. Instead they have lied to him and strung him along.

Were I in his position I'd be pretty annoyed as well. He may not have a case, IANAL and neither are you, but there is no reason to be as rude as you have been when responding to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

0utshined wrote:
    You're wrong. By not having broadband he lost the opportunity to work at home, he wasted time driving ~2.5hrs to work, he spent money on tolls, his car has depreciated and it lessened his quality of life. Again this is all in his first post.

However BT can't be held responsible for that. They never said "Get broadband and it will improve your quality of life". Broadband would have been a bonus for his situation but he technically has not lost anything from not having it.

I think you've missed my point.

Kristok said Khannie had lost nothing, I countered with examples. He has lost :

1) Time - by having to travel to work he is confined to a car for ~2.5 hrs. If he can't work at home he needs to be in the office so he has lost the choice of spending those ~2.5 hours doing something other than driving.

2) Money - by having to travel to work he is incurring extra costs he would not otherwise have had. He no longer has the option of spending that money on something he would rather spend it on.

I would hold BT responsible for that. They told him two weeks and it's now 10 weeks after that. If they couldn't deliver on that they should have told him and he could have made other decisions.

Whether or not they can legally be held responsible is one thing but their ineptitude has caused him a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

Khannie, leaving the small claims court thought aside, what are you actually going to do about your broadband service? Have you sent mails to complaints@esat.com? Tell them you are just about to go on Joe Duffy which is a bit of a fudge but may get them to sort you out quicksmart. You say that it hasn't anything to do with eircom but 12 weeks seems like a long time for BT to mess up all by themselves??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

0utshined wrote:
    If you're going to apologise then do so but don't try and justify that remark.
    If you'd bothered to read Khannies first post you'd have seen he wanted to know the viability of taking a case against them. You consider it pointless but he looking for opinions from more people than yourself.

I don't see where he made a misjudgement. He was told by them it would take two weeks, he expected it in two weeks. They should have had it done in two weeks.

Nice tangent but this thread is not about your work situation and your work situation has no relevance to Khannie's problem. If you want to moan about your job go over to the work forum and we'll all give you some hugs.

Had he been made aware at the outset that it would take 12 weeks he could have made alternative arrangements or gone with a different provider. Instead they have lied to him and strung him along.

Were I in his position I'd be pretty annoyed as well. He may not have a case, IANAL and neither are you, but there is no reason to be as rude as you have been when responding to him.

can see the point in the thread too and I'm not argueing........... we all have stresses in life....... lets all get over it and agree on one thing "this country sucks"!

Guess what argueing on this thread wil get you guys? NOWHERE

As the Garda said "Move On"

0utshined wrote:
    I would hold BT responsible for that.

The only person at fault here is Khannie. He lives where he lives and works where he works.

Khannie, that is not meant as an insult or anything, I'm just pointing this out. :)

paulm17781 wrote:
    The only person at fault here is Khannie.

How do you figure that one?

BT told him two weeks and it's now twelve. If they had given him his broadband after two weeks there wouldn't have been a problem.

0utshined wrote:
    How do you figure that one?

BT told him two weeks and it's now twelve. If they had given him his broadband after two weeks there wouldn't have been a problem.

Who decided where Khannie would live? To an extent, who decided where he would work? If commuting is such a pain, move. Blaming BT's inefficiency is fine when due but be clear, it is not their fault Khannie lives so far from where he works. FACT. If he couldn't get BB at all, then would he bring BT to court as he has to commute?

Khannie, again I am not trying to attack you here.

• Advertisement

:confused:

But that's not the issue at hand.

Khannie lives where he lives and works where he works. That's for the most part irrelevant to his complaint.

His argument is this (correct me if I'm wrong K) :

1) BT do supply broadband in the area he lives.
    2) He considered BT to be the company who could best provide all his broadbanding needs.
    3) He asked BT "Will you supply all my broadbanding needs?"
    4) They replied in the affirmative but advised him it would take two weeks
    5) Having heard this he agreed to enlisting them as his broadband provider, two weeks not being too much of an inconvenience if he gets what he wants.
    6) Two weeks come and pass and no broadband for Khannie.
    7) He is a disappointed bunny so rings them up.
    8) "Sorry sir, we'll sort that out, it'll just be another week"
    9) Repeat steps 7 and 8 a few times
    10) It's now week twelve and Khannie is still offline and writes a thread on boards.ie because he's annoyed and wants the broadband he's been promised on numerous occasions.

The argument isn't that broadband can't be got in his area, if it was he'd have to suck it up or move. The argument is that it is available in the area, he was promised it but they continually failed to meet their promise.

My point is that one shouldn't rely on a third party to make your life easier. Look what happens! If you have a problem with the distnace of where you live/work. Get a leased line with an SLA or move.

0utshined wrote:
    :confused:

But that's not the issue at hand.

Khannie lives where he lives and works where he works. That's for the most part irrelevant to his complaint.

His argument is this (correct me if I'm wrong K) :

1) BT do supply broadband in the area he lives.
    2) He considered BT to be the company who could best provide all his broadbanding needs.
    3) He asked BT "Will you supply all my broadbanding needs?"
    4) They replied in the affirmative but advised him it would take two weeks
    5) Having heard this he agreed to enlisting them as his broadband provider, two weeks not being too much of an inconvenience if he gets what he wants.
    6) Two weeks come and pass and no broadband for Khannie.
    7) He is a disappointed bunny so rings them up.
    8) "Sorry sir, we'll sort that out, it'll just be another week"
    9) Repeat steps 7 and 8 a few times
    10) It's now week twelve and Khannie is still offline and writes a thread on boards.ie because he's annoyed and wants the broadband he's been promised on numerous occasions.

The argument isn't that broadband can't be got in his area, if it was he'd have to suck it up or move. The argument is that it is available in the area, he was promised it but they continually failed to meet their promise.

Its called customer service ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

paulm17781 wrote:
    My point is that one shouldn't rely on a third party to make your life easier. Look what happens! If you have a problem with the distnace of where you live/work. Get a leased line with an SLA or move.
    I've seen a lot of pointless, argumentative posts on this thread, but this takes the biscuit.

Everybody relies on a third party to make their life easier.

SLAs only guarantee the copper anyway, and are not a guarantee of service. :rolleyes:

Why should Khannie have to move?

Think of it if the boot was on the other foot. Imagine you owed a sum of money to your credit card company. You are given two weeks to pay it. You don't. When contacted by the company you respond by saying: "I'll pay it in a week". After 12 weeks of you doing this what do you think will happen?

Will the CC company just sit back and say: "Ah sure it's Ireland" or "We really should move our collections office nearer to paulm17781", or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

My brother has been waiting ages for his bb to, he just like khannie only moved down the road. How hard can it be for them to change a line over.

^^^^Prob way of topic cause i didnt really read the lot i just know khannie has been without bb for way to long for moving houses on the same block (if im not mistaken)

WizZard wrote:
    Why should Khannie have to move?

Think of it if the boot was on the other foot. Imagine you owed a sum of money to your credit card company. You are given two weeks to pay it. You don't. When contacted by the company you respond by saying: "I'll pay it in a week". After 12 weeks of you doing this what do you think will happen?

Will the CC company just sit back and say: "Ah sure it's Ireland" or "We really should move our collections office nearer to paulm17781", or something similar?

That is completely irrelevant. He says BT have inconvinienced him greatly. This I don't doubt. My point is he can't put the blame his commute on BT.
    You have a contract with credit card companies. We are not talking about payment, we are talking about delivery. He has no delivery of service date. Again, it is not BTs fault he lives so far from work.

Also, you will get a delivery date with a leased line. You can be pretty certain you could have that in writing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Outshined: were basically spot on (IMO) in everything that you said.

Nearly wet myself laughing at the broadband for khannie sigs. I'm gonna put it in my own in about two seconds. :D Thanks lads.
    paulm17781 wrote:
    My point is he can't put the blame his commute on BT.

Actually, I can. I'll give more detail here as I feel it's warranted. I moved house (no more than 300 yards as the crow flies). Before the move I was a very happy BT broadband customer. So happy in fact that I chose to switch my phone service to them after the move as well as re-applying with them for broadband. As you can guess, I'd never interacted with their appauling customer service department.
    While I was in my old house, I was working two days a week at home and three in my office. As I have pointed out before, I would not work in my current job if I had to commute to the office five days a week. It's just too stressful.

So...I move house, I apply for broadband, I'm told it'll take two weeks, I get shafted and I have to commute five days a week for 12 weeks (so far). Whose fault is it that I have to commute those extra days? Mine? The only way you could consider it my fault is for picking the absolute incompetents at BT to get my broadband installed. They told me I would have broadband within 2 weeks. They lied.

Khannie, leaving the small claims court thought aside, what are you actually going to do about your broadband service? Have you sent mails to complaints@esat.com? Tell them you are just about to go on Joe Duffy which is a bit of a fudge but may get them to sort you out quicksmart. You say that it hasn't anything to do with eircom but 12 weeks seems like a long time for BT to mess up all by themselves??

I have sent mails to complaints@esat.com. After the first one (6 weeks ago) a nice customer service rep phoned me and told me he'd look after it himself. When the time he told me I would have my bb came and went, I phoned him, he reassured me and gave me the 19th of January as a latest date for me to have bb. I phoned him on the 19th, 20th and 21st without reply then I sent another email to complaints@esat.com. This time I got an apology by email and another "direct" line number. I phoned the number. Here's what it said (I nearly laughed with frustration and disappointment): You are connected to the BT voicemail system, however, the person you are calling does not subscribe to a voice mail box. Connecting you to an operator..........ring ring.......beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Khannie wrote:
    Actually, I can. <snip>

Wow, I didn't realise that. That is a real pain! I still don't think you have a legal case. It is just unfortunate that their CS is so awful. I would say just move to another company. Next time get something with a guarentee of service delivery. :)

paulm17781 wrote:
    Wow, I didn't realise that. That is a real pain! I still don't think you have a legal case. It is just unfortunate that their CS is so awful. I would say just move to another company. Next time get something with a guarentee of service delivery. :)

Like IBB, CLearwire and all the other cowboys..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

You can't blame Esat for your commute or your lunch no matter what you say. Shafted into driving to work? Poor little thing. Just let this thread die. I had to wait MORE than 12 weeks for Esat to install my broadband. This happens, it happens a lot. Let it go, deep breath and move on.

Shafted into driving to work? Poor little thing.

:rolleyes:

You may be happy to suck it up, but I'm not.

You're not obliged to read the thread.

I'm sorry to hear you had to wait > 12 weeks. I'm considering starting a list of how long people have had to wait and posting it publicly.

I had to wait MORE than 12 weeks for Esat to install my broadband. This happens, it happens a lot. Let it go, deep breath and move on.
    so you're happy to let them get away with providing a crappy turn-around time? its no wonder they've gotten away with it up until now with attitudes like yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Of course Im not happy about it, sheesh. That doesn't mean Im going to take them to god damn court about it though. I lodged numerous complaints and eventually got is sorted out thanks to the ex-CEO chap though.

edit: Also Khannie, A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE TO DRIVE TO WORK EVERYDAY

as its already been stated numerous times, Khannie was merely inquiring as to whether or not he would have a case if he were to take them to court which he is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

There is also the matter of that they are providing you with a residential service so trying to claim loss of earnings will be very difficult if not impossible.

I am sure if you tell them you are willing to pay commercial rates they can have someone to install you before you hang up the phone from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

People are far too ready to scream for a lawyer these days.

rsynnott wrote:
    People are far too ready to scream for a lawyer these days.

Tell me what you'd do after you felt like you'd exhausted all other avenues?

I'm scared sh*tless of cancelling the order in case that takes another 12 weeks of incompetence and bungling.

A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE TO DRIVE TO WORK EVERYDAY

I'm not one of them. Like I said, I have been seriously inconvenienced by their incompetence. Why are you trying to defend them?

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote:
    Tell me what you'd do after you felt like you'd exhausted all other avenues?

open your own telco's company..........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement