Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meteor going to 3G ???

• 20-01-2006 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Another question for all you in the know ;)

When/Are Metero going to go 3G soon ?:confused:

Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,019 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't think they have or are interested in getting a license.. could be wrong though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

afaik there were only 4 3g licenses going and smart telecom took the last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Meteors days are numbered. They will have to become a MVNO to survive.
    Unless somebody hands back a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

It was in the paper the other day that Eircom had approached Three to negotiate an MVNO deal on Three's network. They're compelled by their license to accomodate MVNOs on their 3G network so chances are Meteor will use theirs. Content wont be the same as Three's obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Meteor deffo arent goin 3G..
    Sure they have to roam on other operators networks in the west on 2G!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Doktor wrote:
    Meteor deffo arent goin 3G..
    Sure they have to roam on other operators networks in the west on 2G!

Where did you hear that, your best friends cousins younger sisters uncle?

I live in the west, and not even in a city really, and I switch to o2 maybe once every month for about ten minutes. If even.

Honestly, some people seem to want to jump on this "Lets black mouth meteor!" bandwagon! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Meteors days are numbered. They will have to become a MVNO to survive.
    Unless somebody hands back a licence.

Do tell us how you've jumped to this conclusion...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BuffyBot wrote:
    Do tell us how you've jumped to this conclusion...

Same way I did, their spectrum licence runs out around 2018 or so and they will then evaporate off the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

2018..is a long, long way away in fairness. You're assuming the market will be the same then as it is now!

Meteor don't have a 3G licence so they can't go 3G on their own network. But they could potentially become an MVNO on someone else's network.

Still, does anyone know how that would work out? Their GSM network is 272-03 but their 3G network would be 272-01, 02, 04 or 05 (I assume Smart will be 272-04). Basically, I'm saying this because, fair enough, the SIM lock could be applied to 272-03 but their 3G network would be different so the phone would think its roaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought Meteor were going to use EDGE technology instead of 3G cause it is cheaper and can be implemented on a 2.5G platform...

they said so openly about 2 years ago Borderfox but not a sausage since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yeah I remember that. I have no problems with Meteor long may they continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya they deserve customers especially after the amount of advertising they did at x mass (best of the 4 easily)
    im with 3 personally but you'd swear they didnt want anyone to join them because the only time i seen 3 ads was before they even launched here since then nothing
    makes no difference to me though as i already have 3's class 3G service
    anyway is it possible that eircom might pull some strings to get another licence
    whats the point in stopping at 4?

Where did you hear that, your best friends cousins younger sisters uncle?

I live in the west, and not even in a city really, and I switch to o2 maybe once every month for about ten minutes. If even.

Honestly, some people seem to want to jump on this "Lets black mouth meteor!" bandwagon! :D

well..... http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=9546813
    http://www.alto.ie/newsfull.asp?ID=43

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

did you happen to notice that it was dated august 10th 2004 lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭dubadubdub

Long may meteor survive:) They've really lead in terms of competitive pricing - hopefully that continues now that they've been taken over.

3G seems like a technology waiting for a need. Take the idea of video downloads for instance - the video ipod will steal that market. You'll be able to get an entire episode of a 1hr tv show for less than the price of a 20 sec ringtone.

3G? So what!

1huge1 wrote:
    ya they deserve customers especially after the amount of advertising they did at x mass (best of the 4 easily)

:eek: Those two ugly sisters with too much makeup and their stupid lap dancing sketches....give me a break !

yep i did.. but its still the case.. meteor piggyback on o2s network...the second link is a bit newer.. but do a search urself .. they were just the first 2 links i came across.

The Doktor wrote:
    yep i did.. but its still the case.. meteor piggyback on o2s network
    So what?!? It works exactly the same. That's like saying MVNOs are stingy because they have no network at all.

• Advertisement

dubadubdub wrote:
    Long may meteor survive:) They've really lead in terms of competitive pricing - hopefully that continues now that they've been taken over.

3G seems like a technology waiting for a need. Take the idea of video downloads for instance - the video ipod will steal that market. You'll be able to get an entire episode of a 1hr tv show for less than the price of a 20 sec ringtone.

3G? So what!

but can you download it to your video ipod when you're on the bus? theyre separate things. i can put tv shows on my phone (6680) in pretty much the same way as a video ipod can do but i have the option of downloading a song or game or the latest news or loads of other stuff mostly for free anywhere i am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor do piggyback on O2 but it's to such a small degree that it's not even worth mentioning. To be honest, It's mainly a publicity stunt, I would think, to draw some of the stigma away from the bad publicity meteor had from the start.

'Meteor have crap coverage. Oh, they're on the O2 network? I'll go for that then'

When in all liklihood, they will never see hide nor hair of O2 on their phones. It's really only the extreme west, and with eircom building masts, and owning all the phone lines in Ireland (for the most part, which by the way Vodafone use. How long will that last), their coverage is going to get better and better. If anyone will be forced to leave in the long run, it will be Vodafone with their rip off prices.

chrislad wrote:
    and with eircom building masts, and owning all the phone lines in Ireland (for the most part, which by the way Vodafone use. How long will that last), their coverage is going to get better and better.
    I've noticed in two towns here (Listowel and Abbeyfeale) that in recent months mobile cells have appeared on the eircom telephone exchanges in these areas. Listowel's definitely isn't 3, as a network search right beside the cells doesn't show up 3. So it could be Meteor alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You can check about masts in your area here. http://www.siteviewer.ie/siteviewer/site_search.asp

Karsini wrote:
    I've noticed in two towns here (Listowel and Abbeyfeale) that in recent months mobile cells have appeared on the eircom telephone exchanges in these areas. Listowel's definitely isn't 3, as a network search right beside the cells doesn't show up 3. So it could be Meteor alright.

if you're searching for 3 on a 2g phone it may not show up. i wouldn't be 100% certain though

and they should have showed up even if its not their mast because they have coverage wherever voda does. did you see 272-05 as an option?

if you're searching for 3 on a 2g phone it may not show up. i wouldn't be 100% certain though

and they should have showed up even if its not their mast because they have coverage wherever voda does. did you see 272-05 as an option?
    I have a Nokia 6680. 3 won't show up in Listowel, you only get Vodafone, O2 and Meteor. Outside the town 272-05 intermittently shows up.

In areas with no 3 coverage they won't show up at all, you'll see Vodafone instead.

You're right about one thing though, they'll never show up on a 2G phone as its missing the 2100MHz band.

Advertisement