Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell & their shonky ways...advice needed

Options
  • 20-01-2006 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Dell GX240 (P4) from afcdave in the FS forum last night, now he did tell me that its only got a DVI out and therefore wouldn't run on an auld VGA, so I suggested that it'll be fine I'll just get an adaptor for it, seemed simple enough...

the (half height) PCI card seems (on a second examination) to have a Dell Propriatry pin config(!! cheers) so standard adaptors aren't gettable (admittedly at lunch time from work in some local puter shops)

Am I about to do a goose-chase for an adaptor that only Dell (booo!) will supply, sofar googling the idea about seems to imply that the DVI standards don't normally include 2 rows of 9 pins (only 2 rows of 6,8 & 10) grrr!

thanks for the help, anyone have anything I could buy/have/exchange that will sort me out??

thanks again,
    Bren:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ive got one a dell GX240 vga graphics card its an ATI of some sort probably its what shipped with the gx240 ive both inputs on my monitor so if you like ill straight swap it with you
    Just checked the card its an ATI Rage 128 let me know if its any use to you
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

Yeah man, that would be great, its a low profile one (fits into the small desktop model)...

I'm away this weekend but suiting you some time next week we could exchange, I just want to be able to see stuff, this is for my mum so no gaming or nay performance necessary just GUI:)

He's advertised it as a AGP Graphics - ATI Radeon DVI card (not sure of exact spec, presume its same)

great:p & grateful
    Bren

P.S. quick question: when you open your machine, do you have the "blower" setup over the heatsink or the hood? this one has the "blower" and its not actually physically attached to the board, I was surprised by this, seems workable though, just curious. B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

yea its a low profile one off a GX240, Mines got a blower on it but its attached to the heatsink and the heatsink kinda clips into the motherboard then there 2 metal clips that secure it to it better but it doesnt really need them to be honest, its probably the same card as your as its the one that shipped with the gx240, were you based and would it suit you to meet in the city centre next week sometime
    Pete

Advertisement