Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost Admin Password

• 20-01-2006 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭

Have a XP pc with the admin Password and Username lost, any ideas how to recover them ?? Reinstalling not an option.

21/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmmm! You could be genuine but my experience of forums says that for every genuine "help me bypass my password" message there is another less than genuine "help me bypass the password on this ultra-cheap laptop I bought from the man in the dark alley, late at night"

Not saying you are not genuine but it's so hard to tell... Try www.hackthissite forums and see what info/help you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Fried the drive when somebody spilled tea on the open system,so that solved that problem, so I now have to send it to data recovery people, anybody recommend anyone good.

Thanks

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

data recovery costs a fortune, files on your home pc are hardly that important

try these tricks instead

fit the drive in a mates pc (turn it off then unplug its dvd-rom cables and plug them into your drive ) boot up his windows (xp or 2000), copy over what ever it is your so desperate to get off it

or if your hard drive is truely screwed

buy an identical drive (make and model) of ebay, you can just swap the boards, its usualy held on by 3 screws then try pluging into your mates pc again

you documents will be in d:\documents and settings\"your login"\my documents
    your old desktop will be in d:\documents and settings\"your login"\desktop
    all your apps and stuff will be on the original cds they came on

Nah the board on the disk is fried

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

mukki wrote:
    buy an identical drive (make and model) of ebay, you can just swap the boards, its usualy held on by 3 screws then try pluging into your mates pc again

you documents will be in d:\documents and settings\"your login"\my documents
    your old desktop will be in d:\documents and settings\"your login"\desktop
    all your apps and stuff will be on the original cds they came on

you can swap the board

what sort of stuff is saved anyway

DNA Sequences are stored on it so they are pretty important. I recon I'll get a reputable company to do this, thanks for the help

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just wondering...do you absolutely need to recover the sequence data from the hard drive?

If you had your sequencing done by a company such as MWG or Lark then you should contact them for the results once again, they usually keep records for quite a while. Also any sequencing I've had done is usually sent to me by email so you may have them still in your inbox.

On the other hand, if you sequenced them yourself then you will still have the constructs in a vector in some -80C freezer, and can get them sequenced again, costs money but c'est la vie :)

EDIT - Just had a thought, maybe they are not raw data sequences, perhaps they are multiple sequence alignments, in which case, ouch!

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

And you had no back-up routine in place???

Thats just asking for trouble, and who lets anybody near an open system with a teacup in their hand???

Come on now and start backing up your data and stop the crying over spilt milk.

Advertisement