Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vpn over satellite

Options
  • 20-01-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK i have installed a firewall (micronet) at a site with one public IP using satellite BB (cant get anything else)

Its all fine, i can ping it. Its slow because of high latency.. but you can use it.. that is for about half hour or more... Then you can no longer access it from the outside world.. You CAN ping the sat router though again VERY high pings and drops most of the packets.

Anyone have any ideas? Im ordering another firewall, a cheaper one as if i can just map a public to private IP that will be enough for them. I want to rule out the firewall we isntalled as a problem.
    www.micronet.info (this is what we installed).

We use the micronet ALL the time and it always works fine with ADSL.

I dont know if there are any tweaks you can make to MTU etc that will help... so if anyone has done this type of thing before then let me know.. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I thought VPN software did a lot of sending data across the link (whether there is data being transferred or not) to keep the link alive and confuse snooping software. I also thought that if VPN software/hardware had excessive packet loss it would terminate the session

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats true i think.. but i cant even ping the firewall... i can initially but then it stops working... ok i have just finished putting in a different firewall and that one is the same, leads me to believe its a problem that i cant solve as its down to satellite itself. The box is a skystar box....
    I can see in the firewall logs that the firewall is dropping the packets.. probably because its taking too long to get them.

God if they could just get ADSL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

There's a piece of software called UDGateway that's optimised for sat. links. could this work?

Advertisement