Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT increases broadband speeds

• 20-01-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

BT increases broadband speeds
    20/01/2006 - 15:43:19

BT Ireland today announced that it is increasing the speed of its broadband products and introducing a new lower priced product to attract first time broadband consumers.

The changes in speed will see both of BT's existing broadband products automatically increase by 1Mb each to 2Mb and 3Mb respectively at no extra charge to customers.

The company is also introducing a new 1Mb service which will bring 'always-on' broadband to customers for €20 per month.

In addition to the speed increases and new broadband option, BT will also reduce the connection charge for all products to €40 for €50.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

€20 a month yes! That's the price point we need in this country to spread BB to more households, thank you BT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭teresasaunt

Increased data transfer limits let you do more.

Along with speed increases, data transfer limits will also increase from 23rd January.
    • Broadband data transfer limit increases from 12GB to 20GB
    • Broadband Plus data transfer limit increases from 24GB to 30GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Just in my inbox from BT!!!

From 23rd January, BT Broadband will feature faster download speeds* for the same price.

Broadband Download speed increases from 1Mbps to 2Mbps

Broadband Upload speed increases from 128Kbps to 256Kbps

Broadband Plus Download speed increases from 2Mbps to 3Mbps

Broadband Plus Upload speed increases from 128Kbps to 384Kbps

More speed means music tracks download faster, video plays more smoothly, and web pages open with just a click. Your enjoyment online will increase, but your Broadband bill won’t!

Increased data transfer limits let you do more.

Along with speed increases, data transfer limits will also increase from 23rd January.

Broadband data transfer limit increases from 12GB to 20GB
    Broadband Plus data transfer limit increases from 24GB to 30GB

Enjoy the convenience of online billing.

Online billing puts you in control with tools that let you track your total callspend, pay your bill, review previous transactions, update billing details and more.

Setting up online billing is easy. Click here to find out how.

We hope you continue to enjoy your BT Broadband service.

Thank you for your custom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I am still waiting for my line to be upgraded, and it is nice to see that I can drop back to 1Meg for a slightly lower cost. I may just manage to convince my nextdoor neighbours to get there 1Meg €20 package which would be more affordable. I am not on the Tycor, or Waterford Central (behind the GPO) exchanges, instead I am connected to a local exchange which was only enabled in late September 2005. Because it is not one of the main exchanges, I am not sure when it will be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Hmmm, regarding BT Plus, the extra 6GB down will be nice, but I was expecting them to make it 48GB. I wonder if they'll do another cap increase later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is there anything confirmed from BT about the caps on the new speeds?

i know eircom upped their allowances but surely BT will too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Still have 512k here.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cremo wrote:

Yes. The same as Eircom (24gb & 30gb)
    Got an email from them this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

does this mean bt will be upgraded later

123 wrote:
    does this mean bt will be upgraded later
    Yes. The same time as Eircom. Between 10pm tonight and 6pm tomorrow.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Cremo wrote:

From the email above:
    Broadband data transfer limit increases from 12GB to 20GB
    Broadband Plus data transfer limit increases from 24GB to 30GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh right so, just in case you guys haven't seen already, some people have been upgraded already (myself included)

check out the stats here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Me too. Was wondering why browsing was so slow until I saw a torrent raining down on me at >200KB/s... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im still stuck at 860kbps.. Is the upgrade finished?? Please dont tell me my exchange got forgotten about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Exchange: Greystones
    ISP: Esat BT
    Package: Broadband
    Ping to jolt: Min = 31ms, Max = 84ms, Avg = 49ms
    Speedtest: D: 1.36Mbps U: 160kbps

Have been upgraded i guess, haven't noticed the difference, tbh.

Trotter wrote:
    Im still stuck at 860kbps.. Is the upgrade finished?? Please dont tell me my exchange got forgotten about!

You think your bad. I'm stuck at 400kps. I was forgotten in the last upgrade let alone this one :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

MobileInfantry you're not alone. I was "overlooked" in the last upgrade (Eircon are 'looking into it' , though I'm with BT). My cap was 24GB though.

I did however go from 1M/128 to 2M/256 last night.

I should however have been at 2M/256 already and am now wondering how long it will take that shower of muppets to get me up to 3M/384

I wonder how many folk out there don't even realise they're not getting the service that is being paid for ?

shabbyroad wrote:
    MobileInfantry you're not alone. I was "overlooked" in the last upgrade (Eircon are 'looking into it' , though I'm with BT). My cap was 24GB though.

I did however go from 1M/128 to 2M/256 last night.

I should however have been at 2M/256 already and am now wondering how long it will take that shower of muppets to get me up to 3M/384

I wonder how many folk out there don't even realise they're not getting the service that is being paid for ?

It never really bothered me that much. Pings in Irish and UK servers are totally playable (70-ish) and I don't really download that much stuff either so to be honest it makes little difference to me.

But if I'm owed an entire 2mb of bandwith I'm damn well going to get it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Does Esat BT have an upload cap? Would it be 30gb down (along with 30gb up) or is both combined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i think they are seperate

this upload upgrade was a surprise to me this morning!

• Advertisement

From the BT website:
    You are entitled to free transfer of up to 20GB (30GB for Broadband Plus) of data in any given month. You will be entitled to use this limit in either direction without penalty. For example, with Broadband Plus you can upload 30GB and download 30GB in the same month without penalty.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3 cents including VAT per MB).

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account in the first month that you are over.
    30 down and 30 up by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a techical upper limit for current broadband connections before the local user hardware and/or line has to be changed.

Regards

Dubambman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

dubambman wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a techical upper limit for current broadband connections before the local user hardware and/or line has to be changed.

The limit of the ADSL standard is 8 Mbit/s downstream (1 Mbit/s upstream).
    The ADSL2 limit is 12 Mbit/s and ADSL2+ is 24 Mbit/s downstream, both with up to 3.5 Mbit/s upstream.

Of course, these speeds would only be possible under completely ideal conditions, so you wouldn't expect to see them in the real world.

The current home offerings of Eircom, BT and UTV are ADSL.

Smart is ADSL2+, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Am on BT BB plus, (Sandyford, Dublin)
    Was always getting the usual 1.71MB d/l and around 80kbps upload speed.
    Checked this morning and am getting 2.61MB d/l and 320kbps upload.

Nice.

Still no upgrade for me in Waterford...
    I used the live chat with a BT Rep and they said "we have been informed that most upgrades will be nearer the end of the month ".

Rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

woot...i'm up. dublin 2...not really sure wht exchange but probably merrion

When is it supposed to be finished? Should I wait til tomorrow to ring and ask what the fluck is happenin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Trotter wrote:
    When is it supposed to be finished? Should I wait til tomorrow to ring and ask what the fluck is happenin?

Timeframe for the upgrade is until 10 PM tonight, so there's still plenty of time for it to reach you. I'd say this is why BT and others are claiming that the upgrade is happening on the 24th. By then it will be well finished, and any glitches sorted out, saving them the trouble of people calling them during the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Maynooth upgraded! Now getting 1.75mbps down and 187 up.
    Deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I'm on BB+ in Blanch. My d/l has gone from ~210KB to ~335KB but my upload is still the same... odd.

Advertisement