Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT increases broadband speeds

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

cregser wrote:
    I'm on BB+ in Blanch. My d/l has gone from ~210KB to ~335KB but my upload is still the same... odd.
    Upload speeds - the speed at which information is sent from a PC via broadband - will remain at the same speed, said Mr Ingram.

BBC News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4252663.stm

Im guessing they are doing the same in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Trotter wrote:
    When is it supposed to be finished? Should I wait til tomorrow to ring and ask what the fluck is happenin?
    *New speeds will become effective for exisiting and new Residential Broadband customers from Tuesday 24th January 2006.

BT Ireland - http://www.esatbt.com/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2Fbroadband

You people ever hear of Google??

On a side note if this was an IBB upgrade and the 2Mb only operated at "1.75Mb,1.36Mb" and the like of the speeds ive seen ppl post there would be a hugh thread bitching about it not being good enough and comreg being contacted etc. So why are the BT customers content with 1.75Mb on a 2Mb connection?? I'm on IBB and get 1.97~Mb all day long every day thats ~220-240K. And 3.83Mb upload :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Upload speeds - the speed at which information is sent from a PC via broadband - will remain at the same speed, said Mr Ingram.

BBC News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4252663.stm

Im guessing they are doing the same in Ireland.
    I've been with EsatBT for 2 1/2 years and despite some teething problems at the start and occasional DNS issues, I've been happy enough. But 3meg down and 128k up is reason enough for me to jump ship.

I understand that ADSL down/up ratio is 8:1, so I should have 384kb upstream bandwidth. They've no reason not to provide it other than to prevent people from adequatly using VoIP. And I believe eircom are rumoured to be actively disrupting VoIP traffic, so whats the point holding back bandwidth? It was understandable that I didn't get 2Mb/256kb before because Eircom were doing the same. But now Eircom are apparently allowing 384 u/l.

Also optiplexgx270, ideally 3Mb means 384KB d/l, but I'm getting 335KB. I'm perfectly happy with this as this is not EsatBT's fault, it's Eircom's. It's a result of the ADSL technology being used on aging copper lines to my home by Eircom, which EsatBT are reselling to me.

BT aren't holding back on d/l speeds, they're holding back on upload speed. And I intend to voice my opinion with my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cregser wrote:
    I've been with EsatBT for 2 1/2 years and despite some teething problems at the start and occasional DNS issues, I've been happy enough. But 3meg down and 128k up is reason enough for me to jump ship.

I understand that ADSL down/up ratio is 8:1, so I should have 384kb upstream bandwidth. They've no reason not to provide it other than to prevent people from adequatly using VoIP. And I believe eircom are rumoured to be actively disrupting VoIP traffic, so whats the point holding back bandwidth? It was understandable that I didn't get 2Mb/256kb before because Eircom were doing the same. But now Eircom are apparently allowing 384 u/l.

Also optiplexgx270, ideally 3Mb means 384KB d/l, but I'm getting 335KB. I'm perfectly happy with this as this is not EsatBT's fault, it's Eircom's. It's a result of the ADSL technology being used on aging copper lines to my home by Eircom, which EsatBT are reselling to me.

BT aren't holding back on d/l speeds, they're holding back on upload speed. And I intend to voice my opinion with my money.
    That article is from the UK and is almost a year old. It has no relevance here. Your upload speed is not being held back intensionally by BT.
    The new upload speed IS 384k. Thats what I and most are getting on the 3mb package.
    Give things a chance to settle down and the work to finish. If it's not sorted by tuesday or wednesday, ring them. It could be a problem at the exchange.
    Even if you do decide to change provider then most likely the problem will still be there as it all goes through the same equipment.

I was going to give them time, of course. But scrap that anyway... I've just been upgraded :D

But I'm always ready to jump ship as soon as a better offer arrives. Smart are supposed to be coming to Blanch soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sweet:D
    From what I've read on here from Garfield, Blanchardstown is on the wrong side of the M50 for their fibre network. He said it would be a long time before it got done. Has that changed?

I've nothing concrete but a friend of mine said at christmas that he is signed up and waiting for Smart. So it can't be too long. Also, when I entered my phone number on smart's site a while back it said - register your interest and we'll think about it. Now it says "This exchange is on our current Network Build Programme". I don't know how common that phrase is, but we'll see.

Also, with the sheer amout of housing estates around here they should be rushing to get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

cregser wrote:
    Also, with the sheer amout of housing estates around here they should be rushing to get here.
    I wouldn't hold my breath. They need fibre; if it's not there they can't use Blanch. Maybe in a few months but not any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

cregser wrote:
    I've nothing concrete but a friend of mine said at christmas that he is signed up and waiting for Smart. So it can't be too long.

A friend of mine signed up for Smart in Ennis last March and was told he'd be up and running by the summer. He's still waiting, with no realistic estimate of when he can expect the exchange to be enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

I have just run the Speed test as posted and the following is the result.
    Your Downloas Speed is 754kbps
    the other reading is given as 90.4
    It does not look like any ungrade, would I be correct.
    I noticed my speed even surfing has slowed a lot the past 4 days.
    I am with BT on the Ennis exchange.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

*New speeds will become effective for exisiting and new Residential Broadband customers from Tuesday 24th January 2006.

BT Ireland - http://www.esatbt.com/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2Fbroadband

You people ever hear of Google??

Yes .. I heard of google once.. Good question though, it made me think really hard!!

Everyone has been upgraded or is in the process of being upgraded today. People living a few miles away from me who's line is in the next exchange were upgraded this morning. I was entitled to wonder if my exchange had been excluded.

Google though.. must write that one down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Now this is interesting - Upload dramatically improved. No change whatsoever in download....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I'm getting 2.54Mb down & 320Kb up. Not bad but I'd have expected a bit better down.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Downstream 2558 Kbps (319.8 KB/sec) 2762 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 320 Kbps (40.0 KB/sec) 345 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I`m on BBplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Just been upgraded. 1.66 down .132 up. I'm on the Rathmines exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johncl

whiskeyman wrote:
    Am on BT BB plus, (Sandyford, Dublin)
    Was always getting the usual 1.71MB d/l and around 80kbps upload speed.
    Checked this morning and am getting 2.61MB d/l and 320kbps upload.

Nice.

right... am paying for esat bt broadband plus, had been getting 110 KB/s, am now getting 220KB/s. nice, but does this upgrade mean with esat bb+ i should have been getting 220KB/s previously? was i paying for a 2 meg line and only getting 1 meg speeds? :confused:

exchange: NUTLEY
    isp: esat bt
    package: bb+
    blacknight speed test d/l: 1.74Mbps
    blacknight speed test u/l: 185kbps

j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

johncl wrote:
    right... am paying for esat bt broadband plus, had been getting 110 KB/s, am now getting 220KB/s. nice, but does this upgrade mean with esat bb+ i should have been getting 220KB/s previously? was i paying for a 2 meg line and only getting 1 meg speeds? :confused:

j

That's bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johncl

sturgo wrote:
    That's bad.

you're right. i'm a bloody idiot though to be honest. should have realised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Connected at 3mpbs. My cousins are sending me things at a rate of 310KB/s. Not too shabby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm in Limerick and I noticed I got the upgrade around this time yesterday. Your modem/router should tell you what speed you're connected at (192.168.1.1 is the standard on the Zyxel modems - go to system status and show statistics). My uploads have definately increased, but I haven't downloaded anything off a decent server yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm in Limerick and I noticed I got the upgrade around this time yesterday. Your modem/router should tell you what speed you're connected at (192.168.1.1 is the standard on the Zyxel modems - go to system status and show statistics). My uploads have definately increased, but I haven't downloaded anything off a decent server yet.

Yup.. Checked that again..
    WAN Port Statistics:
    Link Status: Up
    Upstream Speed: 128 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 1024 kbps

Gonna ring BT Tech support or Customer care tomorrow. Which would deal with it best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

You will wait 2 hours to talk to a machine in cust care.
    Ring tech support as its a tech issue. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I'm on the Sallins exchange in Kildare.
    Upgrade was running brilliant until about an hour ago, now i'm getting less then 512kbps :(

anyone else having probelms like this?

cregser wrote:
    I'm on BB+ in Blanch. My d/l has gone from ~210KB to ~335KB but my upload is still the same... odd.
    Exact same here.
    Noticed the change over -getting 2.72 download now on the irish isp test but the upload has stayed the same
    Arklow exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

how do u check wat speed u have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

from my modems set up page

WAN Port Statistics:
    Link Status: Up
    Upstream Speed: 384 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 3072 kbps

2.61mb down, 271kb up according to that site

Advertisement