Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL + Wireless Router connection

• 20-01-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Any help is appreciated!!

I am connected to broadband and the ADSL is working fine.
    Now I have bought an ADSL Wireless Router for my laptop. The problem is that the ADSL box only has one input socket which is connected from the telephone line (through the ADSL filter). How do I connect this ADSL box now to the W-router? Is there such a double ADSL-ADSL filter?(Rather than a double ADSL-PHONE one?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Rgds

Ray007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Would you post the makes & models of the hardware.... more info required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

What Router & Modem do you have?

You would normally connect the modem to the router with an RJ45 CAT5 cable. If your modem only has a USB connector then you are unable to connect it to the router.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ray007

I don't know the name until I get home, but it has (the router) ethernet ports(4) and ADSL port.

The ADSL modem (I think it is called ZX600 or something like that) has ADSL(1) port and USB only

Ray007 wrote:
    I don't know the name until I get home, but it has (the router) ethernet ports(4) and ADSL port.

The ADSL modem (I think it is called ZX600 or something like that) has ADSL(1) port and USB only

If the router has an ADSL port (RJ11 phone style socket 4 wires) it may be a router with a built in modem. I hope that is the case because your USB modem is unable to connect to a router. Mind you you can pick up a better modem for a few quid if necessary.

Cal.

Thanks for the replies
    The 0moem is ZyXel(600 series) with a DSL line at the back, an USB and a LAN 10/100M.

The router is a Wireless-G ADSL gateway LYNKSYS. It has a line and 4 Ethernet ports at the back.

The only way I see is connecting the DSL line to the router ans from there to the router with any ethernet port.
    Could that be correct? That's the way I have it but it doesn't semm to work.

Thanks

Ray007

• Advertisement

Yes that is how to connect them. But you will need to configure the router with your username etc. for the dsl connection.

It is a PPPOE setup that you require. It's time to pick up the book and start reading. Failing that pick up the phone and get someone who can do it for you.

Cal.

Thanks Cal

any book recommendation? There were no instructions in the Modem or router?

Cheers

Ray007

Well from what you have said it looks like you won't need the modem and you will not get very far without the router's instructions. Check the manufacturers website for a copy of the instructions.

Cal.

Thanks Cal

The router has a built in ADSl, so I don't need the other one.
    It is all connected and running.
    But, hiw do I set up the encrypted key in my laptop to connect securely to my own broadband?

Do I just set up a W-Network, set up a key and connect to the Router?

Thanks

Yes. You need to set an SSID = (a network name) a key (But using the same security - Either WPA-PSK = most secure or WEP = Less secure) and off you go.

Cal.

• Advertisement

Hi Cal

It seems to be working, the only problem now is that the connection keeps switching off, and then logging in every 5 seconds.
    So it seems like the W-broadband works, but the laptop keeps disconnecting and re-connecting all the time every 5 seconds.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks and Regards

Ray007

Ray007 wrote:
    Hi Cal

Any idea what this could be?

Interference, incompatibility, firmware/driver issues, faulty equiptment, software issues............etc.

Cal.

Advertisement