Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited Kitchen Challenge 1

• 20-01-2006 5:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You have three friends joining you for a dinner party tonight, you have about three hours to get ready, they'll be expectin a three course meal (starter, main, dessert)

Or as catho suggests, you're a poor student and want to eat well for the week and see how many meals we can get from what's left!

You can't get anymore ingredients from the shops, you have the following available to you

6 Carrots
    5 Onions
    1 Turnip
    a big bag of your favourite spuds
    A bag of long grain rice
    Packet of noodles
    A fresh crusty loaf
    half pound of butter
    carton of cream
    a pack of rashers
    6 Chicken Breasts
    bottle of soy sauce
    bottle of sweet chilli sauce
    jar of Green pesto
    chilli paste
    tomato puree
    half pound of 70% dark chocolate
    4 eggs
    carton of cream

you have as much flour, sugar, salt, pepper and such as you want.

So surprise us!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Ok.
    I'm a broke student.
    That would do me for the week plus the dinner party (See other post in 'here's an idea thread' - i shall'nt be repeating myself)
    i also wouldnt be wasting the food just because its there - 'limited' you say?

Starter:
    Bruschetta:
    Crusty roll, grilled with the butter (as we;ve no olive oil)
    Served with the green pesto on top of some and perhaps a dipping sauce of the sweet chilli sauce for others.

Mains:
    Marinate the chicken (diced) in the soy sauce.
    Chop the carrots up, cover in oil, lob in some butter (again coz no olive oil, and the butter would just burn without the oil), throw it on a baking tray, throw in a hot oven for 30 mins or so, till they're golden, soft and sweet.
    Fry up the chicken.
    Boil up the water and throw in the noodles.
    Serve in bowls, with the carrots on the bottom (hiding), noodles on top, then chicken over the top. Now honey in the marinade, and drizzled on the carrots towards the end of cooking time, would have made this, but shure, if we dont have it in the boards cupboard, we dont, and we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Dessert:

Darina's hot chocolate souffle
    10oz of the chocolate
    4 eggs.
    (we only have 8oz, is that half a pound? - hope the eggs are small ones)

Melt the chocolate in the microwave on defrost for 5 mins approx. Cool it.
    Seperate the eggs. Beat the yolks into the chocolate. Whisk the egg whites till stiff. Fold gently into the chocolate mixture. Turn into individual dishes. Throw them in a preheated 200oc oven for about 10 mins untill set on the outside and gooey in the centre. yum.

Still remaining for the week:
    3 Carrots
    5 Onions
    1 Turnip
    A bag of long grain rice
    carton of cream
    a pack of rashers
    2 Chicken Breasts
    some soy sauce
    some sweet chilli sauce
    some Green pesto
    chilli paste
    tomato puree
    carton of cream

Enjoy - Catho

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Still remaining for the week:
    3 Carrots
    5 Onions
    1 Turnip
    A bag of long grain rice
    carton of cream
    a pack of rashers
    2 Chicken Breasts
    some soy sauce
    some sweet chilli sauce
    some Green pesto
    chilli paste
    tomato puree
    carton of cream

Main course
    chop and boil turnip, chop and boil spuds (or steam if you like better)
    Finely dice the onion and fry
    Cut up the rashers and cook
    heat oven to about 180
    mash the turnip, spud, onion and rashers, lump into a big greased dish and put in the oven

Starter
    Shred carrots and sautée
    Add veggie stock cube (these things would survive a nuclear fallout and everyone seems to have them lying spare)
    Add a grated spud to thicken
    Whizz ina blender, add a dollop of cream and we have uber basic carrot soup

Dessert
    Attempt rice pudding with long grain rice
    Prolly have to soak the rice from the morning in milk with a dash of cream and sugar.
    then lump in the oven. i havent go the recipe off hand but im sure we could find it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm gonna assume I have my spice-rack to hand as well....but I'll note where I take from it and/or if I could work around it.

First thoughts....

Starter

4 carrots, 1-2 onions (depending on size), 25-50g butter, salt, pepper, 1 chicken stock cube (could make chicken/veg stock with peelings/scraps), coriander seeds.

Carrot & coriander soup, served with warmed crusty bread.

Main course
    butterflied Chicken breast, stuffed with pesto, wrapped in bacon, seared in pan and finished in oven.
    Thinly sliced potato, layered with a cream-based white sauce using plenty of black pepper, salt and nutmeg (if I have it). If I had any cheese, I'd grate it in there as well. Baked. (basically, potato gratin)
    Batons of turnip and carrot, boiled in salted water (with a pinch of sugar) for 3 mins, then very lightly buttered.

Dessert
    Chilli-chocolate mousse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

bonkey wrote:
    I'm gonna assume I have my spice-rack to hand as well....but I'll note where I take from it and/or if I could work around it.

First thoughts....

Starter

4 carrots, 1-2 onions (depending on size), 25-50g butter, salt, pepper, 1 chicken stock cube (could make chicken/veg stock with peelings/scraps), coriander seeds.

Carrot & coriander soup, served with warmed crusty bread.

Main course
    butterflied Chicken breast, stuffed with pesto, wrapped in bacon, seared in pan and finished in oven.
    Thinly sliced potato, layered with a cream-based white sauce using plenty of black pepper, salt and nutmeg (if I have it). If I had any cheese, I'd grate it in there as well. Baked. (basically, potato gratin)
    Batons of turnip and carrot, boiled in salted water (with a pinch of sugar) for 3 mins, then very lightly buttered.

Dessert
    Chilli-chocolate mousse

What, no roesti with spiegel eier? Real cheap and swiss.

Some of the boiled potatoes would make a nice potato salad. The carrots would be better grated and served in oil and vinegar
    The gratin I would use cream or milk, pepper, salt and loads of nutmeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Heinrich wrote:
    What, no roesti with spiegel eier? Real cheap and swiss.

But I'm Irish :)

Roesti will probably make it into the second or third set of recipes that I throw together from this after I think about it a bit. Today's offering was just my first thoughts.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement