Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazines

Options
  • 20-01-2006 5:28pm

Is there a legal limit to the number of rounds that a magazine can hold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

That depends on the Gun
    Shotguns the limit is 3 rounds
    Rifles it depends on the rifle most will hold 5 rounds i think you can get 15 round mags for .22lr but from 22-250 upwards if you dont do the job with the first shot you prob wont get a chance to fire a 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Legally, I don't think there is a limit for target shooting. As far as I remember, the 3 cartridge limit for shotguns was for hunting purposes. You might want to check the legislation though, I've not looked in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

its 3 for game and sutff like that and i think vermin is unlimited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Wildlife act 1976 states three shots for game birds in a shotgun [nothing on rifles or deer].
    Vermin;four or two legged no magazine capacity [yet]
    Practical shotgun pump or semi no mag capacity limit [yet]
    22lr no limit either [yet see outcome of CJB]

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

its 3 for game and sutff like that and i think vermin is unlimited

I'm almost certain that it is also 3 for vermin...in the case of shotguns.

Practical shotgun pump or semi no mag capacity limit yet

In the case of these guns it is also 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

In the case of these guns it is also 3.

Can you quote an act or other piece of legislation for that?

civdef wrote:
    Can you quote an act or other piece of legislation for that?

Well considering that a practical shotgun whether a pump or semi auto comes plugged to a max capacity of 2 in the magazine and one in the chamber..

In my post I shoud have said that all shotguns are only allowed to have a max capacity of 3 shells...this is why the pump action and semiautomatic guns come with a wooden dowel inserted in the magazine.

I have read this law before, Have tried looking for it there now but I wouldn't have expected the Irish government to be that organised since its so damn hard to find.

I'll post it as soon as I come across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

HINT: you'll be looking for a long time.

Where do you get the idea shotguns come plugged to 2+1?

[
    QUOTE=scorphonic]Well considering that a practical shotgun whether a pump or semi auto comes plugged to a max capacity of 2 in the magazine and one in the chamber..

You DO know what a practical shotgun is?????
    It is designed or modified for practical shotgun shotgun shooting which is along the line of practical pistol shooting.The standard mag capacity for these is eight plus.As such they are "target "shotguns and there is no mag capacity for target shooting
    In my post I shoud have said that all shotguns are only allowed to have a max capacity of 3 shells...this is why the pump action and semiautomatic guns come with a wooden dowel inserted in the magazine.
    HINT;that is why they are wood.If there was a three shot limit the mag tubes would be CRIMPED.Most of the guns are usually US imports and the US has a three shot hunting limit.BUT they also recognise that the gun might be used for other purposes than hunting so they leave it to the owners discretion to obey local laws on this matter.The only country that ASFIK insists on the mag being crimped to three shot is the UK.Over three shot, it is a FAC weapon.
    I have read this law before, Have tried looking for it there now but I wouldn't have expected the Irish government to be that organised since its so damn hard to find.

You will find it in the Wildlife act 1976,and as I pointed out it applies to GAME shooting not vermin or target shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr_G^_^

That is certainly correct. 3 rounds for game. free for all for vermin.
    I bought my Mossberg model 500 and it was plugged/limited with a kind of a gardening dowel which I wasn't happy about but swiftly fixed with a call to my gun dealer.
    I complained i was not happy about the gun being plugged. He said "do you want to break the law!". I commented no i want to shoot vermin.
    Enough said.

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    HINT: you'll be looking for a long time.

Where do you get the idea shotguns come plugged to 2+1?

When I purchased my Mossberg 500 pump in a local gun store there was a wooden dowel in the magazine. Asked the store owner and he told me that pumps and semi-automatics have to be plugged. No mention that there was a difference between game and vermin, since how are you exactly going to explain to a Garda if they stop you on the side of the road that you have an unplugged shotgun and are definately only going to shoot vermin.

Anyways, I must admit that I did not know what a practical shotgun was so I apologise for that...still, When I was going for my permit there was no mention of a difference between mag restrictions when it came to game and vermin hunting.

For example...If you see a pigeon and shoot it with an unrestricted mag, and at the same time a pheasant jumps out in front of you...do you shoot?? or do you take the time to screw off the mag cap and replace the dowel. I dont think so. I'm very wary in believing the fact that these guns can be unplugged. If one of you can give an address to the wildlife act I will happily read it, I wouldn't want to live in ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It is unlimited for vermin, my brother and I have had several semi autos! He once had a 10 shot beneli for a short period of time. He didn't like the synthetic stock though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

Why is there a 3 round lim on game? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

scout wrote:
    Because unloading 10 cartridges into a group of ducks as fast as you can cycle the action and pull the trigger is not considered 'sporting.'

scout wrote:
    To give the poor buggers a chance, If your not good enough (or in a good position) to hit with your second shot you shouldn't shoot at the creature. Three shots is more than enough...anyways-its always good to reload them so it adds to the enjoyment!

QUOTEWhen I purchased my Mossberg 500 pump in a local gun store there was a wooden dowel in the magazine. Asked the store owner and he told me that pumps and semi-automatics have to be plugged. No mention that there was a difference between game and vermin, since how are you exactly going to explain to a Garda if they stop you on the side of the road that you have an unplugged shotgun and are definately only going to shoot vermin.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ,well I would rate that occurance as a equivlant of the proveribal blue moon.:D :D ..Also all you have to do is simply load three shots.Plus say simply you are vermin hunting.But if you are really paranoid about this simply slip the dowel back in.Most beat Gardai remember are not going to tamper with a firearm,as they are not trained in firearms handling.
    Anyways, I must admit that I did not know what a practical shotgun was so I apologise for that...still, When I was going for my permit there was no mention of a difference between mag restrictions when it came to game and vermin hunting.

No worries,thats what we are here for.They mention on your liscense the wildlife act 1976,so I assume they think you will go and read up on it.Ignorance of the law and all that.
    For example...If you see a pigeon and shoot it with an unrestricted mag, and at the same time a pheasant jumps out in front of you...do you shoot?? or do you take the time to screw off the mag cap and replace the dowel. I dont think so. I'm very wary in believing the fact that these guns can be unplugged. If one of you can give an address to the wildlife act I will happily read it, I wouldn't want to live in ignorance.

Simple really,are you a sportsman or not?If you are a sportsman simply load three.All a question of YOUR ethics.Trust me on this I have had four Mossbergs in my time,and they were all wooden dowlled.It took less than four minutes to undowel them.
    Try www.bailii.org/ie and go to Irish legislation,Wildlife act 1976.You will find a sub heading restrictions of ammo in shotguns.

Ok I gave some sections in the wildlife act 1976 a read. One thing struck me as unusual. In section 33 it says that it is illegal to hunt a wild bird with a rifle fitted with a silencer. Does this apply to all creatures or just wild birds..because anytime I go to buy a rifle I'm offered a silencer as an added "bonus" for me to agree a price. Is this illegal? Do you need the Gardai to approve?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

scorphonic wrote:
    To give the poor buggers a chance

you have a gun i'd say they dont ave much of a chance any way:D

Simple really,are you a sportsman or not?If you are a sportsman simply load three.All a question of YOUR ethics.

Very true...nicely put too. There's one thing I dont like and it's too many laws being thrown around all the time in the sport! I know the sport needs to have a stringent law but what you said there is enough for me!! Common sense!!

scout wrote:
    you have a gun i'd say they dont ave much of a chance any way:D

Haha, true indeed. I have a philosophy where I shoot only twice at the same animal. If the second shot is "mucky" as I like to call it then the third shot is enough. Most times it takes just one...since it is a shotgun its not all that difficult to aim...the biggest and best piece of info that I was given in 2005 was from an old man near my gun club land, "Never shoot at a pigeon face on, make sure you sneak up on the bird so that its side is facing you." That way the pellets will enter the animal for the desired effect. By shooting their breast nearly all pellets will be deflected due to the thick covering of feathers. Anyway, previous to this advice it took at least two shots to get a pigeon...now thankfully only one is required...Pity they didn't teach this to me 3 years ago!:o

• Advertisement

scorphonic wrote:
    Ok I gave some sections in the wildlife act 1976 a read. One thing struck me as unusual. In section 33 it says that it is illegal to hunt a wild bird with a rifle fitted with a silencer. Does this apply to all creatures or just wild birds..because anytime I go to buy a rifle I'm offered a silencer as an added "bonus" for me to agree a price. Is this illegal? Do you need the Gardai to approve?:confused:

Grey and ambigious area again INMHO.Wild bird obviously implies game,but what about feral piegons,vermin or suppressed shotguns?Again the law is badly drawn up with large loopholes.It doesnt mention anything about hunting deer with sound modifiers or the possibility of hunting deer with large calibre handguns above the 270 calibre energy requirements.

Plus you can play around again with this silencer semantics.It mentions "silencers"in the offensive weapons act 1992.BUT it does not define what a "silencer"is.If you buy a Parker Hale you will find it is a "sound modifier",not a silencer.So to the letter of the law you have bought somthing that does not fall under the remit of the act,by the wording.Although it is the same thing.As such you do need the Supers permission to own the silencer,and some can be a right PITA to grant it.Usually noise reduction can be good enough reason.Ironic they will bust you here for having none on your car,and one on your gun.:rolleyes:
    Yet I have never heard of anyone being done for having one.It seems it is another 11th commandment.Do as thou whilst,just dont get caught.

As for the multi shot shotguns.It is a hangover from the old days when market hunting was the norm.IE when you had flocks of hundreds of thousands of waterfowl and there were professional hunters who supplied the markets with game.They were looked down on by "sportsmen"usually the rich who could afford to hunt at leisure.As time progressed the sporting aspect of hunting and shooting became more pouplar than a food supply form.
    As well as that there was the snobbery attached to shooting in the UK and Ireland about the sporting use of the pumps&semiautos compared to the fine English doubles.[Some still consider the over under a Cads weapon.]
    It really came to the fore post WW1 when the US started to flood Europe with cheap goods including firearms.And anything those "damn Yanks" could produce was considerd inferior.Plus the most effective trench weapon was the US Winchester 1897 "Trench broom" So why would anyone want a "military weapon"[the assault rifle of it's day] for sporting purposes?Forgetting conviently that most bolt actions for deer&big game came from military weapons.
    So it was obvious that this was also going to be included into law,as still in 1976 there were a handful of professional wildfowlers left in the UK and Ireland.

Advertisement