Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW Always On 1Mbit DSL From BT €20 a Month

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

New speeds for existing products from 24/01/06 and new package(s) from 01/02/06 . Bundle of 1Mbit always on BB and Line Rental will be €35 a month . €35 all in is the 'sweet spot' in the market , identified by Smart and confirmed by Digiweb Metro and NTL to a lesser degree thereafter .
    BT Ups the Tempo with Launch of €20 Always-On Broadband, Speed Increases and Wireless Options
    Dublin, January 20th 2006:
    : BT Ireland is again leading the way in energising and stimulating the broadband market throughout Ireland. The company today announced that it is increasing the speed of its' broadband products along with introducing a new lower priced product to attract first time broadband consumers. The changes in speed will see both of BT's existing broadband products automatically increase by 1Mb each to 2Mb and 3Mb respectively at no extra charge to customers. The company is also introducing a new 1Mb service which will bring 'always-on' broadband to customers for only €20 per month.

BT has also introduced a wireless upgrade option for only €40. In addition to the speeds increases and new broadband option, BT will also reduce the connection charge for all products to €40, a saving of €10 over the normal price.

Today's announcement includes a series of product and price changes including:
    * Automatic upgrade of 1Mb customers to 2Mb for the same monthly rental
    * Automatic upgrade of 2Mb customers to 3Mb for the same monthly rental
    * Download limits will increase from 12GB to 20GB and from 24GB to 30GB
    * Introduction of a new 1Mb product at €20 per month (with online bill; €22.50 with paper bill)
    * Wireless modem upgrade for new and existing customers for €40
    * Free "transfer" connection for customers of other broadband providers who do not require BT to supply a broadband modem
    * Connection charge for all products reduced to €40 from €50
    * Discounted 'bundle' offers available across all three broadband products when ordered with landline including: *
    - 1Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €35 per month in total
    - 2Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €40 per month in total
    - 3Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €50 per month in total

(* pricing includes online billing discount of €5 per bill)

“BT is about value for money. Today we are offering our broadband customers speed and data transfer limit upgrades without charging a cent more. This will allow customers to get even more from their broadband services for entertainment, education or communication,” Peter Evans, Product Director, BT Ireland commented. “We believe our new introductory price level of €20 per month for always-on broadband will drive considerable demand. In addition our free connection offer will allow customers of other broadband providers to save up to €300 per annum. BT continually innovates on product and price to enable consumers and businesses to enjoy the benefits of broadband.”

New speeds will become effective from 24th January. The new products will be available from February 1st.

I cannot see anyone bettering that TBH , if BT can bill accurately they deserve much praise for launching that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I cannot see anyone bettering that TBH , if BT can bill accurately they deserve much praise for launching that .
    Hahaha... if they can bill accurately... haha...

I got a bill off them today for an account I closed with them over a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Indeed they do, indeed they do. Now all we need is for €ircon to actually offer BB to more then a few people in the entire country; to stop being so anal over the line quality and pass everyone and see what happens when they get BB like BT do in the UK and we may have a chance of improving the internet situation in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Time for a downgrade! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

35 per month for broadband and line rental? Nice. Good job BT.

• Advertisement

This 1mbit product could work at a greater distance than the 'old' 1Mbit which is becoming a 2Mbit now .......therefore certain persons who failed until now could start to pass once its loaded in their line checker database from the 1st of feb onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    This 1mbit product could work at a greater distance than the 'old' 1Mbit.....
    How so??

New firmware being installed in most exchanges over the next few days .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Everytime I see something about the new speed upgrade , it annoys me is it tonight or the 24th we get 3mb.

This thread is about a new product to be launched at 1mbits on the 1st of Feb and you want 3mbits ??????

Odd......very very very odd :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Apologies I just wanna know when its actually going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Is eircon time staying at 1mbit? I assume BT are reselling this only covering the time cost. I can't see how else they can offer this.

BT correctly chose never to sell time, this is a new 1mbit product which costs a tad more than Time on the wholesale level but is being pitched at the current price of time to the market .

Therefore Eircom entry level (until they launch new retail packages ) = 20hours for €20. BT entry level unlimited for €20 , cap unknown at present but I suspect 8Gb or thereabouts.

You would have to be mad to choose the time product with that available.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You would have to be mad to choose the time product with that available.

I'm sure people still will. "I don't use the internet enough" or "I don't want to spend too much time on the internet" are probably words you ahvn't heard the last of. :rolleyes:

Ps. I just realised if I had a timed product I probably wouldn't post here every30 seconds. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    New firmware being installed in most exchanges over the next few days .
    Aaahh! I see. TA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I don't see the great attraction here. I'm on BT Broadband atm and i'm getting it inclusive of line rental for €40 afaik. On monday its going up to 2mb with a 20gig cap. It's not that much of a difference. This new package is essentially €4 cheaper per month.

Edit: Its €40 not €39. but thats still not much of a difference.

indeedy gBot but the new product can be bought for €20 a month on its own and €35 in a bundle with line rental . YOU have a €39.99 bundle including line rental but would actually pay €30 for the BB package on its own would you not were you to compare like with like . Its not worth the downgrade I would concede.

For a new entry level customer its ideal. €20 a month is the cost for always on and we know that BT do not penalise those who bust their cap financially .

qBot wrote:
    I don't see the great attraction here. I'm on BT Broadband atm and i'm getting it inclusive of line rental for €39 afaik. On monday its going up to 2mb with a 20gig cap. It's not that much of a difference. This new package is essentially €4 cheaper per month.

A guy I work with has a real problem with line rental and won't get BB because of it! :confused:

He said €40 is too much, yet considers Smart €35 excellent value but can't get it. I asked him how €5 can matter so much and to be honest I think it is just stubbornness. My point is that €5 seems to make a big difference in attitude.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    €35 all in is the 'sweet spot' in the market , identified by Smart and confirmed by Digiweb Metro and NTL to a lesser degree thereafter

Did I not stress the importance of the €35 bundle as well as the €20 for BB only option .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Yes, actually I didn't look at it that way..good point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

so can we download 30gb this month now ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    New speeds for existing products from 24/01/06 and new package(s) from 01/02/06 . Bundle of 1Mbit always on BB and Line Rental will be €35 a month . €35 all in is the 'sweet spot' in the market , identified by Smart and confirmed by Digiweb Metro and NTL to a lesser degree thereafter .

Isn't this the dilemna?:mad: I could never recomment Esat to anyone with the current debacle that is their billing system and not a hint that they are aware of it never mind that there is anything being done with it. In addition it seems that people are having to spend hours on the phone when something goes wrong.

There are three componnets to bb - the price/quality of the actual product, customer support and billing. You cannot take the product in isolation when it means the risk of debt collectors is never far away:mad:

This wholesale product would represent a good opportunity for UTV to be innovative again and would be unbeatable with a bit of imagintaion cap wise - intelligent pricing and their telephone product?

dub45 wrote:
    Isn't this the dilemna?:mad: I could never recomment Esat to anyone with the current debacle that is their billing system and not a hint that they are aware of it never mind that there is anything being done with it. In addition it seems that people are having to spend hours on the phone when something goes wrong.

Other than the billing fiasco another aspect to BT (if you have line rental with them as part of a bundle usually ) is that you MUST report line faults to BT who report them to Eircom for you . This is apparently truly scary , lust like the billing, with shocking outages and no resources in BT to ensure that their customers who pay THEM line rental get THEIR lines fixed in a timely manner

Thats why I mentioned the €20 BB only package, you still pay the line rental to the usual shower and if the line falls off the pole you can ring 1901, press 2 and speak to the cuddly emphatic class of Biddy that hides in the fault reporting bowels of eircom to report this fault .

Once you pay, say, the €35 bundle you must report all faults to BT, you may no longer ring 1901 / press 2 as you no longer have an eircom account number to speak to that machine thing on 1901 .....you can say agent to get past that though and do some Biddy wrestling for old times sake :p

Advertisement