Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS warning light wont fook off

Options
  • 20-01-2006 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

The ABS warning light (not the brake pad wear light) is on the whole time in my car. Its on since i bought the car 13000, miles ago and the brakes are fine so i never bothered to get it looked at.

Anyway, my driving test is next wk, so i thought i`d try get it off the dash in case the testers were whinging over it and wouldnt take the car out.

Anyway, i dropped in to peugeot, and they said they`d have to book it in.
    They had it today, and when i collect6ed it, they siad it needs a new sensor on the right front wheel which is E120 or something, its E160 for them to fit it and all. Apparently it`ll take 40mins to fit this thing.

The brakes are fine, the car doesnt need this sensor, i asked him does it matter without it and he said no, it doesnt affect the brakes or anything.

So im not gonna bother paying E160 to fix a stupid sensor that doesnt do anything anyway. Peugeot charged me E55 to tell me they couldnt get the light out, and to tell me i have to pay E160 to get the light out.

Sure whats the point dash light, to tell me a sensor is fooked?? So what??
    So, would any of ye folk know how i go about taking out the bulb in the dash for the ABS warning light on a 1.9 peugeot 306.

Ps: My Doe is in March, would this light on the dash fail it? The car was Doe`d when i got it, so i imagine the light was on during that Doe aswell because i bought the car in April and it had being Doe`d in March. All this expense/hassle over a fookin crap sensor. I hate the Abs brakes anyway, much prefered my old non abs brakes. :mad:

Sorry, for the ranting/question style format. ha ha:)

Ps: Could i get this sensor off gsf parts or something and get my usual mechanic to fit it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I assume it's a wheel speed sensor that's gone. In that case your ABS processor won't know if the wheel is locked or not so your ABS won't work properly, if at all. Why don't you just fix it properly? If you can afford to run the car you can afford 160 quid to run it safely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

It's the wheel speed sensor, I'll assume.
    If so, then with it broken or malfunctioning, you have no ABS or malfunctioning at best with the system defaulting back to regular brakes.

If you wish to test them, find a wet slippery patch, like wet grass and see if you can lockup the wheels. if yes, then your ABS is not functioning.

I'd not expect it to pass NCT/DOE/DOT tests with a faulty ABS.

You could get a used sensor from a junk yard. They are a non-wearing part, so they either work or they don't,
    You could also check that it is adjusted properly. If it is too far from the sensor toothed ring, it will not work, so check the sensor/tooth gap and adjust if possible or necessary. Also check the connections and wires for breaks, chaffing, shorts, corrosion, known failure points in all ABS sensors.
    Also ckeck the ring gear itself for a missing or broken teeth.
    And cehck the tyre is not different in diameter (outside diameter) that the other 3, some ABS are set to detect flat tyres and/or larger or smaller diameter wheels also.

$160 is not much for a sensor these days, and they are easy to fit. I believe the Ecu for a diesel Peaugot is $1500... about twice the value of the car. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grk_car

I suggest you get your usual mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As regards removing the bulb, I've heard that MOT testers in the UK look for the ABS light to come on in the self test when you start the car and then go off again. This indicates that the ABS should be working. Obviously, if you remove the bulb the light will not come on in the self test and as a result the car will fail. The same may apply for the Irish DOE test.

Instead of messing about trying to "rig" the light just get the thing fixed and be finished with it.

edit: I just saw how old this thread is. Why drag up such an old thread :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

my understanding, told to me by a garage, is that you will not fail if there are warning lights on your dash.

You might want to note that if you are in an accident and the investigators find that your ABS has been faulty for some time and you did nothing about it, it is highly likely they will refuse to pay out as you didn't maintain the braking system, which is obviously important. I was told this by the AA during a car check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nuttzy wrote:
    So im not gonna bother paying E160 to fix a stupid sensor that doesnt do anything anyway.

If it's that stupid, why are you asking us?

And if it doesn't do anything, why do you think Peugeot fitted it in the first place..........just to use up a bucket of them???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

....oh, I know, it's to stop you careening into a bus queue and killing a bunch of people.

Dead right, stupid light............:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ah just fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the OP drives a Honda Civic coupe these days so I don't see the point of dragging this old post up.

Probably should be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

bazz26 wrote:
    I think the OP drives a Honda Civic coupe these days so I don't see the point of dragging this old post up.

Probably should be closed.

I take it he passed! :D

Advertisement