Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History from below - people's history

Options
  • 20-01-2006 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I am researching the topic of 'history from below' (ie the history of ordinary people - workers, women, etc.- rather than 'great' individuals of past society) ... anyone any ideas where I'd get some worthwhile information on the net? I've tried googling it but nothing of much use comes up. Are there any history websites that anyone knows of that have pages dedicated to historiography/the writing of history?

thanks for your help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

History from below is really a Annales development, so I wrecken to get the basic idea of it, you should read Peter Burke, the French Historical Revolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Hi,
    Don't know if you only want Irish history/beyond - here's a link to a Glasgow Museum:

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

That's a great project, too often historians focus on the leaders and wars and not much on the lives and worldview of the ordinary folk.

I can't help here I'm afraid, but best of luck in your endeavours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Walter Benjamin wrote an essay on this topic in his book "Illuminations". Its not a history book but its an interesting idea that might act as a springboard for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

PHB wrote:
    History from below is really a Annales development, so I wrecken to get the basic idea of it, you should read Peter Burke, the French Historical Revolution

Is that related to micro-history?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I am researching the topic of 'history from below' (ie the history of ordinary people - workers, women, etc.- rather than 'great' individuals of past society) ... anyone any ideas where I'd get some worthwhile information on the net? I've tried googling it but nothing of much use comes up. Are there any history websites that anyone knows of that have pages dedicated to historiography/the writing of history?

thanks for your help :D

Contact UCD and look at the folklore archives AMAZING tbh
    google is your friend:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is that related to micro-history?

Yeh, well kinda. The 2nd and 3rd generation Annales schools tended to focus on micro-history for a multitude of reasons, but their ultimate goal was still history from below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I'm doing an MA in local history at the moment, and want to let you know, for common people newspapers are your friend.

Advertisement