Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drainage Problems

Options
  • 20-01-2006 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I'm over by the creche in The Grove. Shortly after moving in (June), I noticed that 4 feet of the back garden by the perimeter wall was very soft (a ladder would sink a few inches for example). Subsequently it appeared that water was not draining from the garden. I spent a lot of money and time in summer, sowing seed, fertilising, mowing etc.and had a nice lush lawn, except nothing would grow in this 4 ft area.

I pointed this out to various site foremen and there was mass confusion between them as to whether a land drain running behind the perimeter wall was blocked and then whether indeed a drain was installed. It now seems that none was installed.

With the winter rains, my garden got worser and worser (as we say in the ghetto!) and about 70% perished. Really p!ssed off with this I contacted Durkans who have now dug trenches through my garden and installed drain tile lengthways and crossways.

Will they also rotovate and reseed my lawm in the Spring?.......fcek!n right they will !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Had the same problem shot them a solicitors letter had a drain put in the garden.Where we are was always a swamp. My brother in law is from the area and remembers seeing the Glen severly flooded befor the Evans did a big drainage job in the 70s.He remembers his dad telling him that when the tide was high that 3 trouts stream would back up and flood the Glen. So the natural water table is very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Bertie wrote:
    Had the same problem shot them a solicitors letter had a drain put in the garden.Where we are was always a swamp. My brother in law is from the area and remembers seeing the Glen severly flooded befor the Evans did a big drainage job in the 70s.He remembers his dad telling him that when the tide was high that 3 trouts stream would back up and flood the Glen. So the natural water table is very high.

You'd think that is something that our solicitors might have been aware of?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

We've just moved into the Park and our garden was completely sodden at the back perimeter fence, same as you Marcais, you would sink if you stood in it. So we contacted the builders the other day and they have ripped up the garden to check the drains. All the gardens (in the Park anyway) have a drainage system but it seems ours wasn't connected properly to the main drain, so the water was collecting and overflowing. But they are being very good about it and are going to completely re lay our garden which at the moment looks like nothing on earth - trenches cut crossways and lengthways and huge mounds of topsoil here and there.

But at least its being sorted out, so if anyone out there is a bit concerned about the drainage in their garden, don't be afraid to ring the builders about it.

NewHome wrote:
    We've just moved into the Park and our garden was completely sodden at the back perimeter fence, same as you Marcais, you would sink if you stood in it. So we contacted the builders the other day and they have ripped up the garden to check the drains. All the gardens (in the Park anyway) have a drainage system but it seems ours wasn't connected properly to the main drain, so the water was collecting and overflowing. But they are being very good about it and are going to completely re lay our garden which at the moment looks like nothing on earth - trenches cut crossways and lengthways and huge mounds of topsoil here and there.

But at least its being sorted out, so if anyone out there is a bit concerned about the drainage in their garden, don't be afraid to ring the builders about it.

yeah ,my grass is totallty gone, which reallly p!ssed me off, because I told them about it in June, spent a lot of time and money on a nice lawn and now it's just hardpan. :(

Has this issue been resolved to anyone's satisafction. It certainly hasn't been to mine. A drain going nowhere was installed. These are issues that have to be addressed before the builder resigns as a director at an AGM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

Marcais wrote:
    Has this issue been resolved to anyone's satisafction. It certainly hasn't been to mine. A drain going nowhere was installed. These are issues that have to be addressed before the builder resigns as a director at an AGM

Here here!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Mines the same too. Spent a lot of money when I moved in putting down a really nice lawn - 6 months later it could only be described as a quagmire.

To be honest I'm sick of trying to get anything fixed around here. Cuala are utterly useless. I'm still waiting for my Minutes from the meeting on 6th June that they assured me would be sent out. Just like the parking problems, the speeding, the maintenance of the green area outside my house, the carpark in Superquinn, the ongoing questions around can we/cant we put up dishes, even that bloody dog thats STILL barking every morning etc etc etc - all the things I've been trying to get resolved in over TWO YEARS and still nothing at all, nothing, nothing has changed or been done.

I cut my losses, killed the grass and put down gravel instead. I'm completely sick and tired of trying to get anything done by anyone round here cos everyone just blames someone else, ultimately landing at the feet of Zapi who dont give a toss anyway cos theyve got their money.

Rant over :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 matti

mine was the same but 'we' spiked the grass at the end of the garden with a fork and turned the soil. planted new grass and the drainage is much better now. couldnt walk to shed without getting muck on your shoes before (john wayne put down the path in the garden!) but its dry there now

Advertisement