Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus or Golf

Options
  • 20-01-2006 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

I have a choice.. Am currently driving an 04 focus hatch as my company car (old model).
    I can change into a 04 golf if I like. Both cars are exactly the same age and both are tip top condition. I spend around 4 hours a day in the car as I am a rep on the road. Have always loved golfs but the focus has suprised me. So any opinions on this?

Focus or Golf 31 votes

Volkswagen Golf
    0% 0 votes
    Ford Focus
    100% 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

VW definitely. solid, reliable car, and stylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Focus all the way, much better looking car, handles lovely and is fun to drive, in my opinion the golf is just dull.

what engine size are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

golf safer, quieter, feels a bigger car. the fully independant rear suspension is similar to the focus. i persume its the mkv we are talking about? the new fsi engines are far far better than anything else out there. the 1.6fsi is a great engine.
    ive driven the old focus 1.6 and found the seats uncomfortable and the engine not great on torque although it was fast. horses for courses though at the end of the day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

VW definitely. solid, reliable car, and stylish.

Exactly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are both the Focus and Golf the latest models? if so then I'd say Golf, if not, I'd say Focus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Atari Jaguar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

draffodx wrote:

what engine size are you driving?

Both are 1.4 petrol. It's the mkv golf but the old focus.

Onkle51 wrote:
    It's the mkv golf but the old focus.
    theres your answer then, old technology or new, i think the new would make more sense:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

id pick the Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I'd go for the MK5 Golf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

lomb wrote:
    golf safer, quieter, feels a bigger car. the fully independant rear suspension is similar to the focus. i persume its the mkv we are talking about? the new fsi engines are far far better than anything else out there. the 1.6fsi is a great engine.
    ive driven the old focus 1.6 and found the seats uncomfortable and the engine not great on torque although it was fast. horses for courses though at the end of the day..

04 Golf would not have been fitted with independant rear suspension surely?

Mk1 Focus has had that since launch in late 1998.

Focus handles much better.

Neither in 1.6 guise are a fast. Adequate is a better description. Both are cack as 1.4's - heavy little cars.

If you spend 4 hours a day in either a modern diesel might be a better bet.

all mark Vs have been fitted with independant rear suspension.
    indeed the focus had it for and benefitted greatly from it, in addition to the faultless build quality.
    the car i drove the 1.6 ford looked amazing, but felt low on torque but was still fast , the seats werent as good as volkswagens(my greatest complaint), the dash felt old but the handelling was great without question.
    lets face it even the most loyal ford fan would accept that a MKV golf is better than a old shape focus.
    sadly the new focus doesnt look very good but thats another story..

Both are cack as 1.4's - heavy little cars.

dont knock the 1.4 IN MKIVgolf, its not as bad as it looks on paper. its an eager engine and is very smooth. but probably not as good as the the same in the mkv due to the v being heavier..

If you spend 4 hours a day in either a modern diesel might be a better bet.

Not my choice unfortunately. I'd love a TDI Golf or even a Tdci focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ribenaro

I have a 1.4 Golf and love it (despite the fact I'm changing!). It is a really comfortable car. I'm not gone on the new look but that's about all. I test drove a 1.4 Focus and found it very sluggish, you would definitely need a 1.6.

they're both gonna be painfully slow, but at least the Golf will be less shiny inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

the golf 1.4 has 75bhp(mk5) which is a joke when a 1.25 fiesta has 74 bhp:D
    http://www.cbg.ie/article.asp?listMode=review&ID=758

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Never thought I'd say it but I'd go for the Golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mondeoman wrote:
    the golf 1.4 has 75bhp(mk5) which is a joke when a 1.25 fiesta has 74 bhp:D
    http://www.cbg.ie/article.asp?listMode=review&ID=758

The 1.25 engine in the Fiesta was designed by Yamaha.

The Focus 1.4 which is designed inhouse has only 80bhp which isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I drive a Focus (1.6 Collection 2003) but I'd say go with the Golf too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I'd say go for the golf. The inside of the focus looks like a toy car.

bazz26 wrote:
    The 1.25 engine in the Fiesta was designed by Yamaha.

The Focus 1.4 which is designed inhouse has only 80bhp which isn't great either.

is it not 75bhp?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Golf tbh

yeah, golf definately. if only for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    is it not 75bhp?

As far as I know the Focus 1.4 litre 16 valve has 80bhp and the 1.25 litre 16 valve in the Fiesta has 74bhp.

The 1.4 in the MkI Focus and MkIV Golf were sluggish enough and both engines were carried over to the new models without any enhancements, these are heavier cars so expect performance to be worse not to mention fuel economy.

bazz26 wrote:
    so expect performance to be worse not to mention mpgs.
    well on the mkiv i get 48 mpg on a cross country run, virtually diesel economy and tbh it doesnt feel sluggish except when going up hils where shifting into second and flooring it is the only solution..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ribenaro

The 1.4 Golf isn't sluggish in comparasion to the Focus. I drive 50 miles a day in my 1.4 Golf and don't have any issues with it whatsoever. I drove the new Golf today and found it livlier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

On a fill up of about 55 litre's, i get around 700 km from my mk v golf.

I drove a mk v golf today and it's so much better than the focus. It's quicker off the mark and so much more comfortable... Decision made:D

• Advertisement

Picked up my Golf there yesterday. I have to say it's so much nicer than the focus. Much more comfortable and the blue dash lights are cool!!

Advertisement