Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback Please

Options
  • 20-01-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

OK, got a Toneport UX2 for Christmas and I've been kinda messing with it since...

Decided to give recording a go there the other night using Live Lite 4 that comes packaged with it.

I played all the tracks myself (limited to 4)

I have a Maverick F1 which I use all the time and also a Fender Semi-Acoustic I was going to record the basic rythm track with but I didn't have access to it at the time because my dad had taken it with him when he went away to practice for himself :)

For the main track I used the Basic Guitar Tone with a compressor

For the crunch effect I used the Basic Guitar Tone with the Classic Distortion stomp box and turned the treble on the guitar half way down to give it that crunchy feeling.

For the bassline I ran the guitar through one or other of the Bass presets on the Toneport (can't remember which) with the treble turned all the way down on the guitar (hopefully getting a bass soon to eliminate the need to use a guitar)

For the lead/solo-y style part I started with Basic Guitar Tone, added Classic Distortion, Equaliser (can't remember the settings I used) and some pre-amp I also can't remember... Might have possibly used the Modulator on a low setting...

I made it up as I went along basically... Chord progression is just E, D, A, D for a few bars and then E, G, D, A with the bass (and later the crunch guitar) playing:
    A| -------------5---7---
    E| -----5---7-----------

over the A chord when it was going from A to D in the first few bars and A to E in the next few bars

Lead part is just a blues scale messed around with... dunno anything about scales... just know a couple off by heart without knowing what the name of them are...

The scale I used was:
    E| ------------------------------------------------------12---15
    B|--------------------------------------------12---15-----------
    G|-----------------------------------12---14--------------------
    D| ------------------------12---14------------------------------
    A| -------------12---14-----------------------------------------
    E| ---12---15---------------------------------------------------

bending the A note on the G string (fret 14) the odd time and progressing up and down the scale... as I said I just made the lead up as I went along...

Please have a listen and let me know what you think...

Can you make out the bassline? I can hear it but I think that's only because I know it's there... I think I recorded it too low...
    At low volumes can you hear the lead? I couldn't make it out too well because I recorded that too low aswell... this is my first time trying to record music on my Toneport...

The other thing I want to know is: Would anyone be, for want of a better word, "fooled" by the "bass" in this song? It's just my guitar with the treble down low and running through a virtual bass rig...

The song is real messy at the moment... just sounds incoherent but it was just an experiment to learn about how I could lay down tracks and play other tracks over them

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~steve/Mbleh.mp3

Any comments are much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Not much into the technics of music but I couldn't hear the bass at all and the lead is deffo too low...the other guitar (repeating chords) is drowning everything else out...good though if tuned up - just what my ears hear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Cheers.

I'll rerecord it at some point in the near future. I know what it's gonna sound like now so might be able to make a coherent song out of it :)

Hopefully I'll have the bass soon aswell so I can record that bit properly...

Cheers for the comment. Anyone else have any comments/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I can hear the bass no bother. Its a little low alright but I can definitely hear it. (Sounds like a nice riff too). The lead as already said, is way too low or rather the rhythmn (spelling?) is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nowt wrong with a bit of panning. I'd move the support guitar (the da-lidely-da sound!) track to one side. The bass is nowhere to be heard, I take it you just ran the exact same note progression for the 'bass'?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

mike65 wrote:
    Nowt wrong with a bit of panning. I'd move the support guitar (the da-lidely-da sound!) track to one side. The bass is nowhere to be heard, I take it you just ran the exact same note progression for the 'bass'?

Mike.
    Fairly much yeh.

I don't play the bass so I haven't really had time to mess around with bass fills and the like. I'm getting one soon though to have on standby for recording songs. When I get it I'll re-record the bass for this with a proper bassline.

I'll look into panning but I'm only just getting to grips with Abelton Live Lite 4. It came free with my Toneport but it's limited to 4 tracks so I might investigate different recording software.

Anyone have any recommendations on other software (as cheap as possible, preferably) that'd suit my Toneport?

Thanks for the feedback folks, you've been super :v:

• Advertisement
Advertisement