Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Tech Specs

• 20-01-2006 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hey i was wodering if anybody knew where i could get some details of all the components and technical specifications of the PS2.
    I have to do a report on it for college so i'm looking for as much info as possible. Also diagrams of the motherboard would be cool aswell.
    Can anybody help me?:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wikipedia should have the specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

* CPU: 128 bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294 MHz (later versions 299 MHz), 10.5 million transistors
    o System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus or RDRAM (note that some computers use this type of RAM)
    o Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
    o Main processor: MIPS R5900 CPU core, 64 bit
    o Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 1, Floating Point Divider × 1)
    o Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 9, Floating Point Divider × 1), 128 bit
    o Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
    o 3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million polygons per second (1)
    o Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG-2
    o I/O Processor interconnection: Remote Procedure Call over a serial link, DMA controller for bulk transfer
    o Cache Memory: Instruction: 16KB, Data: 8KB + 16 KB (ScrP)
    * Graphics: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz
    o DRAM Bus bandwidth: 47.0GB per second
    o DRAM Bus width: 2560-bit
    o Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8, 15:1 for RGB, 16, 24, or 32-bit Z buffer)
    o Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 million polygons per second (1)
    o Dedicated connection to: Main CPU and VU1
    * Sound: "SPU1+SPU2" (SPU1 is actually the CPU)
    o Number of voices: 48 hardware channels of ADPCM on SPU2 plus software-mixed channels
    o Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz (selectable)
    * I/O Processor
    o CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
    o Sub Bus: 32 Bit
    o Connection to: SPU and CD/DVD controller.
    o Interface Types: 2 proprietary PlayStation controller ports, 2 proprietary Memory Card slots using MagicGate encryption, Expansion Bay (DEV9 or PCMCIA on early models) port for Network Adaptor, Modem and Hard Disk Drive, IEEE 1394 (2), Infrared remote control port (2), and 2 USB 1.1 ports with an OHCI-compatible controller.

* Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible) with copy protection. 4.7GB capacity, a few are DVD-9 (8.5 GB)

(1) Polygons per second under ideal circumstances (e.g. no texturing, lighting, or vertex colors applied). Some criticize these figures for being unrealistic, and not indicative of real-world performance. The true polygons per second figure with full textures, effects etc. is around 7 million.

(2) IEEE 1394 removed in SCPH-50000 and later hardware versions, and Infrared remote port added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm not sure how much detail you need, but this is a really nice article on the Emotion Engine:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ee.ars/1

It was, in fact, THE introductory text on the EE for many programmers who were struggling with PS2 in early 2000, and its often untranslated documentation.

Here's a die photo of EE (can't find one of the Graphics Synthesizer right now):
    http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/0/0,1425,sz=1&i=8284,00.jpg

Some photos of the PS2 production process:
    http://www.ps2world.ch/index.php?show=specials/fabrik/fabrik.htm

Some others from a disassembled PS2:
    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/20000304/ps2_e1.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭phillo

also try www.gamefaqs.com. there are many spes sheet on the ps2 -all versions-. I just recently used one of the repair guides to get one working again.

Advertisement