Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-reacting

Options
  • 20-01-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Add your "aye" here if you think that the mods on boards.ie are power-drunk and unprofessional.

Add your "aye" also if you think people should keep their noses out of forums that they aren't going to make a positive contribution towards. (That's not to say that a critical / contradictory contribution can't be made in the name of debate / healthy questioning)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Your mom's professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oh pray tell....why doth thou fight thy powah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No mod is 100% perfect. In general i find the mods on Boards to be very strict on the existing rules, but not power-drunk.

Unprofessional, depends on the mods. Most mods decisions are final and expressing opinions otherwise usually draws a little unprofessionalism from the mods in a "I'm right - you're wrong" ..but oh well..c'est la vie!

Now, off teh soapbox and back to work *cracks whip*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wow Stix, 16 minutes without bumping the thread. That must be a record for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The fact that there is a Boards.ie for you to complain about the mods on is sign enough that by and large, mods do a good job and have done for a good while now. People forget mods are human too. There will always be overreaction and errs of judgement from time to time. That's life, get over it and get on with it. If there weren't posters acting the ****ehawk and unscrupulous gobsheens out to exploit Boards for their own gain regardless of the consequences of their actions there wouldn't be a need for mods. It's a kind of necessary evil. Anarchy, like communism, doesn't work (check the punk forum for proof) :)

As for being unprofessional, you're damn right, no-one gets paid to mod, it's strictly voluntary. Thanks for your support!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

When I say they are unprofessional I mean in their behaviour, not their relationship with Boards.ie as an entity.

I understand that it is a voluntary job but that does not give them the right to call anyone a muppet. Especially in the course of their voluntary duties. If another user called someone a muppet or was otherwise abusive, would the mods allow this ? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Stix wrote:
    Add your "aye" also if you think people should keep their noses out of forums that they aren't going to make a positive contribution towards.

Like you posting here in this forum for example?

AYE!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Stix wrote:
    Add your "aye" here if you think that the mods on boards.ie are power-drunk and unprofessional.

They're not power drunk, they're just drunk. There's a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Asok wrote:
    Your mom's professional.

Oh dear!

Maaaammy,my little maaammy,I didnt wanna do it,I didnt wanna do it....The sun shines east,the sun shine west,but I know where the sun shines best.....:rolleyes:

Run for the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Stix wrote:

I resent that remark. Come to GAA and see for yourself or are you just generalising? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Is it cause they is black ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

K-TRIC wrote:

Ha! What film does that remind me of?

Blazing Saddles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

K-TRIC wrote:

They is black on the Cloud skin, no wait they is also yellow text too and wait ones a cat, the others homer simpson, anothers a duck, ahhhhhhhhhhh

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No mod is 100% perfect.
    I am.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

My blood-alcohol is 100% proof, does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Stix wrote:

Why do you say that? Maybe you're really hurting our feelings there. After all, we are a bunch of sad and lonely nerds whose only reason for living is to increase our ban lists and the only light of whose lives comes from our ever-increasing postcounts. Maybe it's not cool but maybe it's all we can hope for at life. Do you really wish to insult us and take away what little dignity we have? Do you ever think about the human face behind the avatars, the heart that shines at the prospect of locking a thread, the pulse that beats solely in order to log on one more day? Well, do you? I'd think about that if I were you. I'd think about it before you crush our fragile existences with your hard cold criticism. Can you really sleep tonight? Huh? Huh? Huh?

:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Think I'm gonna go off, have a cry, and then top myself

:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Stix shut the hell up before I make you my 165th siteban.

/hic

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Stix, as soon as you are willing to pay a wage for me to have to read your posts you can ask me to be more professional than my present "in my spare time" efforts.

You know, I could treat it like a job then and give you detailed quarterly reports on your posting trends, upto the minute average thread bump delay times (both logarithmic and geometric!) and complimentary noise to signal ratio maximising workshops so that you can blend in better in AH.

I'll be awaiting your check in the post. Cheers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Earthhorse wrote:
    They're not power drunk, they're just drunk..

tonight
    I will admit to that being the truth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Amazing how anyone that makes a complaint about a mod gets rounded on by mods and their groupies and owl fetishists. Mods used to be impartial even when someone else complained about a mod. Not anymore. So aye and aye again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

damien.m wrote:
    Amazing how anyone that makes a complaint about a mod gets rounded on by mods and their groupies and owl fetishists. Mods used to be impartial even when someone else complained about a mod. Not anymore. So aye and aye again.

Yes, it is rather rofflesome. However, you will note that the OP did not name any mod or forum s/he was unhappy with, making it rather difficult to investigate their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I understand that it is a voluntary job but that does not give them the right to call anyone a muppet.

Being a moderator doesn't give them the right to call anyone a muppet. People acting the muppet gives them that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Mods are human aswell you know.
    Some may be power-mad, but it is their job to moderate threads.
    A job they dont get paid to do.
    Thats why nesf works on the canals on saturday nights, stix can give the cheque then :D

simu wrote:
    Yes, it is rather rofflesome. However, you will note that the OP did not name any mod or forum s/he was unhappy with, making it rather difficult to investigate their claims.

And then you'd want the report to use the third person, be signed in triplicate and you'd still have smods calling the complainant's mother a whore.

How long would an ordinary poster get away with calling the mother of a mod, of say politics, a whore?
    People acting the muppet gives them that right.

And never in the history of boards.ie has a mod ever been wrong or had poor judgement, so thet line is totally justifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

damien.m wrote:

Frankly, it's one thing to have a genuine complaint, and it's a whole other thing entirely to just come along and say all mods are power drunk.

Frankly, it's one thing to have a genuine complaint, and it's a whole other thing entirely to just come along and say all mods are power drunk.

I think the time has passed when a complaint against a mod is classed as being genuine or is left to actually be heard without scorn and insults poured on the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I hear that when Karl Hungus bans someone, he also goes round to their house and beats up their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hang on Stix, is this because your "Naturism" thread in the fitness forum was locked? (And subsequently reposted in the East forum)

Seems pretty fair to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

^ & if they don't have kids Karl Hungus gets them pregnant*, waits 9 months & then beats their kid up!

I haven't had too much of a problem with any mods.
    They're just normal boardsters with extra friends & a lil bit of power.
    I guess everyone else has to live with it (unless they get you preggers & then harm your off-sping).

*male or female, haven't you seen Junior?

Advertisement