Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-reacting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i hardly think the secret service will be out looking for me for crimes against humanity on the basis of any evidence given so far...

so you admit there is evidence tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

A ban for criminal stupidity, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

but you see thats the problem.

the user didnt get banned.

i locked the thread because the user bumped a thread a number of times ina short period of time. a bump is to keep something onthe front page and make sure people see.

i dont think that the fitness forum gets enough traffic to warrant 2 bumps in 18 minutes of the first post, and then bump again after that.

besides, i dont think it was the right forum. at that stage, it was full of rubbish, easier to just post somewhere else, where it was more relevant and wouldnt have all of the dross in the thread on the fitness forum, which i suggested.

if someone wants to come on here after being a muppet (in my opinion) and start making smart alecy comments, but not bother with any real facts, then i believe they are opening themselves to be treated with derision from the public. and rightly so.

the impartiality and herd mentatlity is a different debate altogether.

this is one user, being a muppet and having a thread locked, and asked to post it somewhere else.

i hardly think the secret service will be out looking for me for crimes against humanity on the basis of any evidence given so far...

Stop the press. I agree with every single thing you said here, right down to the secret service bit (but my 'connection' in the service told me that they were keeping an eye on you though).

I read the thread in question and the way you handled it should be a template for all future thread-locking.

I've also no problem with Mods using a muppet as a 'plaything' in feedback because it can be very entertaining (IF she/he is a real muppet).

And even though some Mods may deservedly get stick for their lack of fairness and objectivity, clearly there are other Mods here that try to balance it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Personally i think if there was a fewer "AAH I GOT BANNED I WILL GET J00 DEMODDED" complaints, a lot more other complaints would get taken seriously. it does get really tiresome trying to think of an opinion other than "...he's a tit" when you've read the same thing a thousand and one times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you know, i think i got a complement!

i may have to retire on a high :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

aye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

PlayGirl wrote:
    aye

Do you mean this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878007

In fairness, it was getting a bit ridiculous and nesf was totally right to lock it.
    It was bordering on 'Abercrombie' territory.

Do you mean this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878007

In fairness, it was getting a bit ridiculous and nesf was totally right to lock it.
    It was bordering on 'Abercrombie' territory.
    no, just in general!! no offence!, :p

PlayGirl wrote:
    no, just in general!! no offence!, :p

Well would you care to give any examples of power-drunk mods that you have seen?

Theres little point in saying you agree in general when you have been here for a very short time and i would imagine have had very little interaction with the mods, unless you can give examples.

No offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Playgirl thinks I'm evil. I've ammended my tagline to show that I acknowledge and care for her opinion.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    Playgirl thinks I'm evil. I've ammended my tagline to show that I acknowledge and care for her opinion.
    oh stop taking things so seriously.. lol..!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

He's only diet evil.

Just one calorie, not quite evil enough.

PlayGirl wrote:
    oh stop taking things so seriously.. lol..!! :D:D

I don't have a sense of humour. It was lost when Cloud said oops once.

nesf wrote:
    I don't have a sense of humour. It was lost when Cloud said oops once.
    well sor-ry!! i take it someones on thier time-of-the-month! lol!! :D

PlayGirl wrote:
    well sor-ry!! i take it someones on thier time-of-the-month! lol!! :D

Cloud isn't quite that powerful.

I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

PlayGirl wrote:
    well sor-ry!! i take it someones on thier time-of-the-month! lol!!
    Oooh Oooh, I love these games...

Is it you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

imo some mods around here are way too strict (its only a message board for gods sake) i was thinking of buying a subscription this year but didn't end up getting it because of some mods and the way they act. I would like to support boards (by buying a sub) because of all the info i can get and questions i can get answered but i doubt i will until something is done around here. Maybe try get in some new faces, when people are in power for a long time it sometimes goes to their head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

damien.m wrote:
    Amazing how anyone that makes a complaint about a mod gets rounded on by mods and their groupies and owl fetishists. Mods used to be impartial even when someone else complained about a mod. Not anymore. So aye and aye again.

Except this wasn't a complaint about one mod, it was an entirely baseless accusation against all mods, you and me included. Isn't it amazing how many of these threads have turned once the OP's threatening/insulting PM's to the mod in question see the light of day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

this thread ... me hole

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    Except this wasn't a complaint about one mod, it was an entirely baseless accusation against all mods, you and me included. Isn't it amazing how many of these threads have turned once the OP's threatening/insulting PM's to the mod in question see the light of day?

Yes but in general the mods reaction to complaints is a bad one, i agree with this post:
    Amazing how anyone that makes a complaint about a mod gets rounded on by mods and their groupies and owl fetishists. Mods used to be impartial even when someone else complained about a mod. Not anymore. So aye and aye again.

Maybe it is because mods are around for too long and are sick of hearing the same **** over and over, but if thats the case then maybe they should step down and let someone else take there place, like isaid earlier in this thread
    imo some mods around here are way too strict (its only a message board for gods sake) i was thinking of buying a subscription this year but didn't end up getting it because of some mods and the way they act. I would like to support boards (by buying a sub) because of all the info i can get and questions i can get answered but i doubt i will until something is done around here. Maybe try get in some new faces, when people are in power for a long time it sometimes goes to their head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

No need to quote yourself, I read it the first time :D

I do agree, sometimes I see mods reacting to situations where things could have been handled a little more diplomatically, but unless you can provide examples where a particular mod has been the problem over a period of time, I would say your point is moot. Mods are participants of boards too and are prone to getting involved/overinvolved in topics and perhaps are better at detecting trolling than newer boards members and nip things in the bud before others are aware of it. Familiarity with the type of crap that gets weeded out here would get anyone annoyed, even new mods. Some of the abosolute arrogance/ignorance of some of the ****e I get in PMs would piss you off too. It has nothing to do with being here a long time, it just takes a couple of seconds for someone to make your day cloudy. Boards is what it is as a result of the actions of mods, so going on the membership, they must be doing something right, don't you think?

Doctor J wrote:
    No need to quote yourself, I read it the first time :D

I do agree, sometimes I see mods reacting to situations where things could have been handled a little more diplomatically, but unless you can provide examples where a particular mod has been the problem over a period of time, I would say your point is moot. Mods are participants of boards too and are prone to getting involved/overinvolved in topics and perhaps are better at detecting trolling than newer boards members and nip things in the bud before others are aware of it. Familiarity with the type of crap that gets weeded out here would get anyone annoyed, even new mods. Some of the abosolute arrogance/ignorance of some of the ****e I get in PMs would piss you off too. It has nothing to do with being here a long time, it just takes a couple of seconds for someone to make your day cloudy. Boards is what it is as a result of the actions of mods, so going on the membership, they must be doing something right, don't you think?

sorry about quoting its just it was the last post on the page :o

I agree some mods are very helpful, they listen to what you have to say and don't throw it back in your face. There are a few little things i think mods are doing wrong like not PM'in people when they ban them, all it would take is a simple PM sayingwhy they were banned and for how long. I got banned a few times and never got a PM saying why and for how long, i PM the mod who banned me and ask about the banning, get no reply, so i make a thread in feedback, and usually get flammed by other mods :rolleyes:

anyways im sick of typing :p

If you dont generalise and give specific examples, maybe you won't get flamed. Providing of course, that you were in fact in the right.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got banned a few times and never got a PM saying why and for how long, i PM the mod who banned me and ask about the banning, get no reply, so i make a thread in feedback, and usually get flammed by other mods :rolleyes:
    You could always try not getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

oscarBravo wrote:

Bet they say the same to prisoners who get stabbed by knives fashioned out of sharpened toothbrushes. "Well you shouldn't have been in prison."

damien.m wrote:
    Bet they say the same to prisoners who get stabbed by knives fashioned out of sharpened toothbrushes. "Well you shouldn't have been in prison."

Wow.........

Just......wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

oscarBravo wrote:

Oh oh, is this happening in front of our eyes:
    Amazing how anyone that makes a complaint about a mod gets rounded on by mods and their groupies and owl fetishists.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

boardy wrote:
    Oh oh, is this happening in front of our eyes:
    Amazing how anyone that makes a complaint about a mod gets rounded on by mods and their groupies and owl fetishists.
    Maybe (although I'm not sure whether or not I'm being accused of being an owl fetishist).

Or maybe, just maybe, I actually have a point.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:

everyone gets banned from time to time, maybe if some of the stupid rules around here were removed not as many people would be getting banned ;)

The way i see it, mods should just let everything roll as much as possible, not ban people unless they are doing or posting something really offensive or illegal. It would take some weight off the mods and everything would run a lot smoother, just my opinion

Advertisement