Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-reacting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

everyone gets banned from time to time, maybe if some of the stupid rules around here were removed not as many people would be getting banned ;)

Do you know what it is that makes boards.ie more enjoyable to use than a horrid slum like TeenIreland or similar? It's all those rules you hate so much, and their enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rsynnott wrote:
    Do you know what it is that makes boards.ie more enjoyable to use than a horrid slum like TeenIreland or similar? It's all those rules you hate so much, and their enforcement.

you think its enjoyable having to read a charter every few months just to make sure you don't get banned for making a post about something that was banned because a certain mod doesn't agree with it

you think its enjoyable having to read a charter every few months just to make sure you don't get banned for making a post about something that was banned because a certain mod doesn't agree with it

example: not allowed mention "Dutch Gold" in the drinks forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I thought that was all ironed out now,dutch is the new gold,no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Perhaps if you worked out precisely why it was banned..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

everyone gets banned from time to time, maybe if some of the stupid rules around here were removed not as many people would be getting banned

Eh. Really, the argument is exactly the same as:

If we raise the speed limit, less people will be speeding and thus the roads will be safer.

The amount of people getting banned is actually quite low versus the amount who post. The vast majority of posters seem to have no trouble staying within the rules the vast majority of the time.

Personally, I think this because it's just plain easier and simpler to follow the rules of a forum and people will always tend towards the easier and simpler path.

No, no, you can generally get away with using your common sense. I'll admit the Dutch Gold thing is a bit of an aberration.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

everyone gets banned from time to time...

What? Am I missing something?

Kuffing pummet.

Not your ornery onager

nesf wrote:
    Eh. Really, the argument is exactly the same as:

If we raise the speed limit, less people will be speeding and thus the roads will be safer.

The amount of people getting banned is actually quite low versus the amount who post. The vast majority of posters seem to have no trouble staying within the rules the vast majority of the time.

Personally, I think this because it's just plain easier and simpler to follow the rules of a forum and people will always tend towards the easier and simpler path.

Yes but speed can be the difference between life and death this is only an internet message board

esel wrote:
    What? Am I missing something?

Kuffing pummet.

right back at ya

OK sorry nearly everyone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes but speed can be the difference between life and death this is only an internet message board

Absolutely 100% true but I didn't say they were equivalent only that the logic of the statements was similar. Though in fairness I could have been clearer about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hi, I think you'll find the latest information on this little rollie-eyed piece of bitching just here.

Dude, your information is so last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

anyways im sick of typing :p

so stop typing...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh well stix is banned, his stalking days are over...I mean just look at his selective sex friend list...well apart from me whome he guessed wrong about. :)

Oh well stix is banned, his stalking days are over...I mean just look at his selective sex friend list...well apart from me whome he guessed wrong about. :)

Lol. That seems to happen to you quite a lot.

Hi, I think you'll find the latest information on this little rollie-eyed piece of bitching just here.

Dude, your information is so last year.

So you don't think there are some stupid rules on some (not all) forums on boards?

So you don't think there are some stupid rules on some (not all) forums on boards?

Examples? Most seem quite sensible.

rsynnott wrote:
    Examples? Most seem quite sensible.
    - Posting on AH simply "to reach a larger audience" may result in a ban. The thread will be moved/deleted. If your thread is more suited to another board then please post it there. After Hours is to discuss non-specific topics and issues in a general way. If you have a serious Political or News post, they should be posted on their specific forums.

Everyone knows that with the ammount of sub forums on boards these days, probably 90% of the threads in AH could be better suited in a different sub forum

Posting in "rtrd"
    - Using txtspk n ur psts is cnsdrd been rlly stpd cuz u hv qwert kbd n ur pc so xpct 2 b wrnd. Please don't do this, this is not a bannable offence but repeat offenders might be "asked" to take a break from posting.

Why not let people talk whatever way they want, if you hate txt spk, then don't read it! Do you watch stuff on TV you don't like? No, you just change the channel

Just two small examples of rules that are not really needed

Everyone knows that with the ammount of sub forums on boards these days, probably 90% of the threads in AH could be better suited in a different sub forum

After Hours was filling with irrelevant crap, it now mostly has relevant crap.
    Why not let people talk whatever way they want, if you hate txt spk, then don't read it! Do you watch stuff on TV you don't like? No, you just change the channel

Text speak is horrible and has no redeeming factors. It is better for all of us that it is outlawed.

rsynnott wrote:
    After Hours was filling with irrelevant crap, it now mostly has relevant crap.

Text speak is horrible and has no redeeming factors. It is better for all of us that it is outlawed.

Yes but why? if you don't like it don't look, i don't like david hasselhoff :v: so i don't look in the david hasselhoff forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Yes but why? if you don't like it don't look, i don't like david hasselhoff :v: so i don't look in the david hasselhoff forum
    Look, that's a completely nebulous argument.

It's like trying to have a convo with your friends while this one guy just shouts as loud as he can, and somebody justifying his inclusion on the basis that "If you find him annoying, just don't listen".

It's bullcr*p is what it is.

Honestly, if you're so annoyed with this place, why not bugger off to TeenIreland or similar? There are like-minded people there :)

You'd be suprised. It's suprisingly hard to find another home for the majority of threads on AH tbh. Plus it's both a noise to signal thing and a give traffic to other forums thing.

Ahh, but I have to read the post, as do the other mods. This forum is in English, I respond to any post not in English in the same way: If I can I move it, and/or I politely request the user to post in the language of the forum.

And no, txt spk is not standard written English. There exist forums online where you can speak txt spk. It's not like you don't have a choice.

rsynnott wrote:
    Honestly, if you're so annoyed with this place, why not bugger off to TeenIreland or similar? There are like-minded people there :)

I only come here daily for the news and gossip from around ireland, but thats it, its too strict around here at times.

There are like-minded people there :)

kekefawk.gif

nesf wrote:
    You'd be suprised. It's suprisingly hard to find another home for the majority of threads on AH tbh. Plus it's both a noise to signal thing and a give traffic to other forums thing.

Ahh, but I have to read the post, as do the other mods. This forum is in English, I respond to any post not in English in the same way: If I can I move it, and/or I politely request the user to post in the language of the forum.

And no, txt spk is not standard written English. There exist forums online where you can speak txt spk. It's not like you don't have a choice.

I suppose looking at it from a mods point of view i can see why you wouldn't want it.

I think using TBH should be banned as well, a few people on boards use to always say TBH at the end of every sentence :rolleyes: andnow it seems bleeding everyone does it.

Thanks for listening TBH :v:

I suppose looking at it from a mods point of view i can see why you wouldn't want it.

I think using TBH should be banned as well, a few people on boards use to always say TBH at the end of every sentence :rolleyes: andnow it seems bleeding everyone does it.

Thanks for listening TBH :v:

*shrugs*

Tbh, as a tbh addict myself it's absolutely fine imho. :)

nesf wrote:
    *shrugs*

Tbh, as a tbh addict myself it's absolutely fine imho. :)

na just kidding but have you noticed everyone uses it around here now, i certainly do tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well then with that argument, shouldn't there only be txt spk in the txt spk forum? There's an idea to ban txt spk sitewide! Create a forum for it and ghettoise those that love txt spk there.

damien.m wrote:
    Well then with that argument, shouldn't there only be txt spk in the txt spk forum? There's an idea to ban txt spk sitewide! Create a forum for it and ghettoise those that love txt spk there.

My argument is don't like don't look

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

.... :v:

I so wanted to post tubgirl there.

Advertisement