Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-reacting

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

damien.m for mod

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Stix wasnt banned already. I'd be banning him now.

10% of people will complain at either end of the spectrum. ie: that we are too strict or too lax. 10% of people who dont hold those opinions will support any anti-establishment position. Generally 80% of people simply couldn't care less and never encounter the mods or the admins.

So, my theory is that so long as 80% are happy, I can live with that because its the local maximum of happiness. Any movement to more or less strict moderation will, in my opinion decrease generally happyness.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

CuLT wrote:
    .... :v:

I so wanted to post tubgirl there.

or meathole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

DeVore wrote:
    If Stix wasnt banned already. I'd be banning him now.

10% of people will complain at either end of the spectrum. ie: that we are too strict or too lax. 10% of people who dont hold those opinions will support any anti-establishment position. Generally 80% of people simply couldn't care less and never encounter the mods or the admins.

So, my theory is that so long as 80% are happy, I can live with that because its the local maximum of happiness. Any movement to more or less strict moderation will, in my opinion decrease generally happyness.

DeV.

So 10% will complain either end, and 10% of people who don't hold those opinions will support anything anti-establishment, and 80% of people couldn't care less, and as long as they're happy, you don't mind really, and the other 70% of users prefer whiskas?

...you play poker? That an odds-based game?

/me points and runs away, wearing copper armour in a thunderstorm and shouting "all gods should suck my c0x0r5".

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

damien.m wrote:
    Well then with that argument, shouldn't there only be txt spk in the txt spk forum? There's an idea to ban txt spk sitewide! Create a forum for it and ghettoise those that love txt spk there.
    I half-heartedly endorse this product and/or service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

oscarBravo wrote:
    I half-heartedly endorse this product and/or service.

Who would be willing to mod it, though?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ne1 wth hlf a brn. r lss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DeVore wrote:
    Generally 80% of people simply couldn't care less and never encounter the mods or the admins.

So, my theory is that so long as 80% are happy

id say im in the 80% bracket, i only become a person who compains when there is personal loss of money involved.

Right you are Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

simu wrote:
    Who would be willing to mod it, though?
    Masochists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I nominate Rsynnott. Rob puts the OTT in Synnott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

DeVore wrote:

But it's the 10% who spark revolutions, make the innovations and change the world.

When the revolution comes to boards.ie, YOU will be the first against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

*bump*s for everyone in the new utopia. Oh brave new world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Stark wrote:
    *bump*s for everyone in the new utopia. Oh brave new world.

or stranger in a strange land.

guess it depends how you look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Many of you are probably aware of the Holohan/O'Donoghue case which has erupted in public interest due to what went on it court yesterday. A thread was started on it in After Hours.

I login this morning only to find the thread locked !!!

This is clearly over-reaction as it is a subject being discussed up and down Ireland today yet here on a discussion board the topic is banned ?!?! That just does not make sense.

Nesf, can you unlock the thread?

I realise that other people requesed the thread to be locked but that is no reason to lock it. The discussion was barely getting going ...... its also a complex one as there are finer points of legal detail which need to be outlined and additionally, it is a moving story.

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Agreed. I've been listening to it on the radio all morning. Don't see why it should be out-of bounds here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

circular arguments...and people stating their own opinions and hypotheses as "facts" get boring pretty quickly and turns into one big flamewar as posters refuse to budge from their preconceived notions...

Suprised that thread lasted as long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

RuggieBear wrote:
    circular arguments...and people stating their own opinions and hypotheses as "facts" get boring pretty quickly and turns into one big flamewar as posters refuse to budge from their preconceived notions...

But isnt that what discussion and debate is all about. If you dont like what you read in a thread, either comment on it or else ignore it. It seems stange to have a "big brother" (original meaning, not the DeMol lark) approach and lock threads when there is clearly interest in a topic.

redspider

id have to agree.
    i generally only a lock a thread once it gets down to the 'I AM USING CAPS BECUASE THAT WAY YOU WILL UNDERSTAND MY POINT AND AGREE WITH ME' stage.

it appears that most people cannot accept that others can have a different viewpoint that is just as valid.
    and of course, stating you opinion as fact is another big thing on boards.ie.

of course, i havent actually read the thread, so it could have been locked due to it being pants.

I'd Lay A Bet It Was Locked Due To It Being Another Case Of People Claiming "facts" All The Time. Do You Understand My Point And Agree With Me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

you HAVE TO MAKE SURE TO START ONE WORD WITH A LOWERCASE LETTER IF YOU WANT TO SHOUT!!!1!1

sTFU!

:)

Yeah steveire - i forgot that -i think i was still wanting to be in bed at the time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd Lay A Bet It Was Locked Due To It Being Another Case Of People Claiming "facts" All The Time. Do You Understand My Point And Agree With Me?

Are You A Galway Dude Who 'Supplies' Cables?

On second reading, probably not! You don't punctuate your sentences with '!'. Also, you forgot to capitalise "Facts"!

Dude, I Sent That PM Already!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

esel wrote:

On second reading, probably not! You don't punctuate your sentences with '!'. Also, you forgot to capitalise "Facts"!

Bad.

esel wrote:

...can someone please translate what this guy said?

so it's not just me...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I *think* he doesn't understand that if you post in all caps, the code automatically reverts everything except the first character of each word into lower case. He is comparing you to Galway Dude, who has been known to type in a similar fashion, (albeit with more exclamation marks and less cable selling), and was trying to draw a similarity between you, or accuse you of being one and the same.

Although, I don't remember Galway Dude typing in that fashion.

/shrugs

Shabadu wrote:
    I *think* he doesn't understand that if you post in all caps, the code automatically reverts everything except the first character of each word into lower case. He is comparing you to Galway Dude, who has been known to type in a similar fashion, (albeit with more exclamation marks and less cable selling), and was trying to draw a similarity between you, or accuse you of being one and the same.

Although, I don't remember Galway Dude typing in that fashion.

/shrugs

/me kowtows

• Advertisement
Advertisement