Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Panic! at the disco' ne 1?

• 20-01-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Panic! at the disco seem to be all over the web and even hit no. 5 in itunes albums- but im yet to meet another person who has heard of them! am i really the only person beyond the usa to have heard this phenomenonal band!
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've heard "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off". It's okay.

Never really wanted to hear any more of them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

plazzTT wrote:
    I've heard "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off". It's okay.

Never really wanted to hear any more of them though.
    listen to 'camisado' or 'the only differenence between martymor and suicide is press coverage' and i guarentee that if you have good taste in music then you will like this !
    happy listening x)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

I love that band SO much!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Weird, i was just checkin out last.fm's music charts, both these and "Death Cab for a Cutie" are really high in it. Downloa....ahem....Acquiring some of their music now (entirely legally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yep, im lovin them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭latimer

Panic! At The Disco are gonna be huge soon.

Just saw 'i write sins not tradgedies' on kerrang!!!! theyre half way there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Don't like these at all. Just not my bag, that's all!!!. I can see them getting a good following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Any relation to The GO! Team? Do they not teach punctuation in school any more?

I thought this thread was going to be about the Panic Disco in UCD back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Wow... Another pop-punk band, with a dash of emo *now with added 80's synth* (cause that's fashionable at the moment apparently). I hope they are pretty too... And hop around a lot on stage. :p

Lets tick the boxes. Formulaic guitar work (tick), layered vocals (tick), add a few 'weird' breaks/FX in the songs so you know they are 'alternative' (tick), slick production (tick), unoriginal sound (tick), pretentious (tick), self-aware (tick), overly fussy lyrics (tick), misplaced! punctuation! (tick).

All that equals one big heard-it-all-before-generic-band-wagon-jumping yawn from me.
    and i guarentee that if you have good taste in music then you will like this !

Oh no, i don't like this band i must have bad taste in music and know nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's the kind of thing that people with Myspace accounts will love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Ha! I was thinkin that. Oh he went there!!!!

every man for himself, good for you if you think like that but i could prob put together a 4 point system for any other bands mentioned about things i would hold against them, its easy enough to do and shoes a shallow,stereotyping taste in music , but like i said every 1 for their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

dalk wrote:
    Wow... Another pop-punk band, with a dash of emo *now with added 80's synth* (cause that's fashionable at the moment apparently). I hope they are pretty too... And hop around a lot on stage. :p

Lets tick the boxes. Formulaic guitar work (tick), layered vocals (tick), add a few 'weird' breaks/FX in the songs so you know they are 'alternative' (tick), slick production (tick), unoriginal sound (tick), pretentious (tick), self-aware (tick), overly fussy lyrics (tick), misplaced! punctuation! (tick).

All that equals one big heard-it-all-before-generic-band-wagon-jumping yawn from me.

Hey hey hey back off a tinsy bit man! Panic! At the Disco rock! C'mon I bet u anything that if ya gave them a chance you'd be dancing like a manic to them:p ! They're becoming really big on the net but I don't think a full breakouts gonna happen yet not until the album gets released over here that is! "There's a good reason why these tables are numbered honey, you just haven't thought of it yet".... so addictive:D !

i could prob put together a 4 point system for any other bands mentioned about things i would hold against them

Maybe you 'prob' could. Try it, its fun. Generally works best with a band you dislike though.
    its easy enough to do

Has to be said though that some bands make easier targets than others. Panic! might as well have been permanently inked with the critical equivalent of a bulls-eye on their forwards, standing 2 cms from your weapon of choice. How could i miss?
    shoes a shallow,stereotyping taste in music

You already mentioned that its guaranteed that "if you have good taste in music then you will like this". Now, not only do i not have good musical taste, but my taste is also 'stereotyping' and there is some vague insult (?) against my choice of footwear? Do Panic! fans only wear boots or something? Thick soles maybe? I dunno... :rolleyes:
    but like i said every 1 for their own!

Yes you say this but you seem to only mean people who don't disagree with you.
    lyrama wrote:
    Hey hey hey back off a tinsy bit man! Panic! At the Disco rock! C'mon I bet u anything that if ya gave them a chance you'd be dancing like a manic to them ! They're becoming really big on the net but I don't think a full breakouts gonna happen yet not until the album gets released over here that is! "There's a good reason why these tables are numbered honey, you just haven't thought of it yet".... so addictive !

:) Unlikely...

But they probably will be huge. Good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Jebus all ^^^ needs is a QED :rolleyes:

Anywhoo...I actually really like Panic!...and tis not usually my usual type of music...I'm no emo-head! lol But I like the fusion of styles in their sound! Fun music like! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I heard a few of their songs- they're ok, but really nothing special. They definitely don't deserve this much attention though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I hear they're EMO rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

So you haven't actually listened to their music yourself?

obviously, i stated what i've heard, not a statment that "they are EMO rubbish", i was waiting to see if it was true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

They certainly do their thing with a high level of pizzazz. Very my chemical romance though, which upsets me

dalk wrote:
    Maybe you 'prob' could. Try it, its fun. Generally works best with a band you dislike though.

Has to be said though that some bands make easier targets than others. Panic! might as well have been permanently inked with the critical equivalent of a bulls-eye on their forwards, standing 2 cms from your weapon of choice. How could i miss?

You already mentioned that its guaranteed that "if you have good taste in music then you will like this". Now, not only do i not have good musical taste, but my taste is also 'stereotyping' and there is some vague insult (?) against my choice of footwear? Do Panic! fans only wear boots or something? Thick soles maybe? I dunno... :rolleyes:

Yes you say this but you seem to only mean people who don't disagree with you.

:) Unlikely...

But they probably will be huge. Good for them.

yeah dude i reckon that if you got a GOOD taste in music that you will love this band, i dont think you do because of the way you speak of music stereotyping styles the way you did when talking about Panic! at the disco! so once i again I think that if you have a good taste in music then you will like this band but im not led to believe you HAVE a good taste in music so i am not surprised you dont like them - or very bothered,
    what is really sitting in my mind is the fact thet you keep posting about other things like my previous quotes and you are not really mentioning the music any more! get what i mean?! and then you finish wishing them well! are you just trying to wind people like me up!!!!! x)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Was in a HMV shop at the weekend and heard them. Even the guys behind desk weren't sure who they were playing. :p Very high energy, catchy stuff and a set of track titles that defy explanation. A def purchase.

WTF? that is a really whingey post, i've "good" taste in music but i dislike them, not everyone will like the bands you like, and with that comes a certain amout of crap you will have to put up with, they are sarcastic about the band and convey that through you, but your rising to it.

good to hear,

What your fave track so far then?

mine is definitley 'the only difference between martymor and suicide is press coverage'!

any one else? X)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Against better judgement, I've given the album a couple of listens.

Dear lord, it's awful enough to be considered advanced. Hilariously pompous song titles, teenage histrionics and overwraught delivery but for some stage reason "I Write...zzzzz" is stuck in my head due to the sheer amount of repitition. Get it out. Get it out. I have no desire to write whingey little melodramas and deliver them in the style of a youth theatre project.

[QUOTE="hollyhamill
    "]are you just trying to wind people like me up!!!!![/QUOTE]

Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Only one reason for it too. Your pompous assertion that, if you have good musically taste you are guaranteed to love this band. (The flip side being that if you don't like them then you have crap taste in music). Add to this the fact that you love them. Which by inference means that you have good musical taste. Well, my Mammy always said, self praise is no praise.

So... with Art forms there is such a thing as personal taste. You might be able to find broad consensus on what is 'good', but you will not find certainty. If there was certainty, a formula would have been devised and we would be blissfully surrounded by good art.

[QUOTE="hollyhamill
    "]and then you finish wishing them well![/QUOTE]

Sure. They've got fans (even with infallible music tastes, like you). Good for them. They are pushing the right buttons for some people. I wouldn't begrudge them success. Even if i might find it a bit mystifying...

I don't like them - you like them. So what. I can only speak for my own personal taste. I'll even sketch out why i dont like them. But I wont tell you not to like them. Sound familiar?

Robbo wrote:
    Dear lord, it's awful enough to be considered advanced.

Interesting theory :D

dalk wrote:
    Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Only one reason for it too. Your pompous assertion that, if you have good musically taste you are guaranteed to love this band. (The flip side being that if you don't like them then you have crap taste in music). Add to this the fact that you love them. Which by inference means that you have good musical taste. Well, my Mammy always said, self praise is no praise.

So... with Art forms there is such a thing as personal taste. You might be able to find broad consensus on what is 'good', but you will not find certainty. If there was certainty, a formula would have been devised and we would be blissfully surrounded by good art.

Sure. They've got fans (even with infallible music tastes, like you). Good for them. They are pushing the right buttons for some people. I wouldn't begrudge them success. Even if i might find it a bit mystifying...

I don't like them - you like them. So what. I can only speak for my own personal taste. I'll even sketch out why i dont like them. But I wont tell you not to like them. Sound familiar?

:D

okay so you are really intent on doing me in over this so how about i rephrase my original post! I Think that if you have what i would consider as a good taste in music, hows that ? ! ! ! okay so maybe now you wont be repeating all my quotes, okey dokey ttys X)

your were conclusivly prooven as being pompos or atleast appearing so, you obviously felt offended by anyone critising panic and defended them in what could have been seen as some sort of veild personal attack on dalk and anyone who didn't agree with the view you had of panic ie. " if you have good musical taste you are guaranteed to love this band."

even your post #29 is highly sarcastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

Oh god, yeah they've been playing it in HMV! Me and my friends were downstairs gaming and they started playing "The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is media coverage" and I started singing along with it...*shifty eyes* from everyone, twas good:D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

They are not my cuppa tea...

And "my cuppa tea" embraces a plethora of genres, artists and styles.

So eh. Panic!? No thanks luv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I only have heard one of their songs and it is catchy but tbh they look and sound like this years My Chemical Romance which should keep the teenage population happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 DubGal

Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off is ok, but not really my type of music in general, the lead singers voice is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fifa

Gotta say im lovin them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Actually, I should point out at this point that I have both MCR´s albums, and I quite like them.

And no, this band in no way emulate or even approach MCR in terms of substance. Style and no substance makes sebthebum a peeved bunny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Heard them last night on the radio, thought it was rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭yourpetzombie

dalk wrote:

Hahahah! I love you!
    But yeah, they don't do anything for me. At all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vanessa

i think they are really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Karin

Panic! at the disco seem to be all over the web and even hit no. 5 in itunes albums- but im yet to meet another person who has heard of them! am i really the only person beyond the usa to have heard this phenomenonal band!
    :confused:

Can't really say I'm too impressed with them.
    Lyric wise they suck. I keep getting the feeling that they hired a 11 year old to write all their music.

But as a commersial band whos poster will be on every 14 year old girl's wall; Sure! They're gonna be rich.

HAHA ! disagree but i still like the way you think! cash first!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

yeah dude i reckon that if you got a GOOD taste in music that you will love this band, i dont think you do because of the way you speak of music stereotyping styles the way you did when talking about Panic! at the disco! so once i again I think that if you have a good taste in music then you will like this band but im not led to believe you HAVE a good taste in music so i am not surprised you dont like them - or very bothered,
    what is really sitting in my mind is the fact thet you keep posting about other things like my previous quotes and you are not really mentioning the music any more! get what i mean?! and then you finish wishing them well! are you just trying to wind people like me up!!!!! x)

I beleive the word is EDUCATED and I also beleive that you are not very educated in music.

Personally I think they're dreadful 'emo' rubbish (just as blu_sonic has said) who are the new thing and will duelly cash in on teenagers who think they're tastes in music is alternative. **** me, they even make MCR look listenable compared to them.

This should be in the Pop forum.

pop forum agreed
    move
    move
    move
    bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

blu_sonic wrote:
    pop forum agreed
    move
    move
    move
    bye

Nah, I'll leave it here to piss you all off. Plus there's no pop forum.

can you move me to the pop forum as far away from picnic at the rubbish tip as possible, even if i need to be banned, i do hope im not banned
    reasons:
    a) i love music
    b) in 5 years you'll be selling the threads i posted in to the NME, i wll be thw next big thing.
    c) i feel i contribute and recieve in equal proportions
    d) i'm not EMO
    e) i will always belive in Moz, The Smiths, Oasis
    f) i do belive some people are just too inflated and im the pin of the real world to bring em back to the ground
    g) i love you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

John2 wrote:

Made ya look!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

on first listen they sound like a typical very annoying American college geek group sorta thing id expect to find on the American Pie 5 soundtrack,

once they fix those song titles though id say they will be selling alot of albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

John2 wrote:
    Sticky it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

PiE wrote:
    Sticky it.

Now that's just too evil

lets be honest there are too many people getting sticky about this band anyway, now i'm off tobump some other threads so as to see this one disapear, mooorrrrhhaaaahaaaahaaa

blu_sonic wrote:
    can you move me to the pop forum as far away from picnic at the rubbish tip as possible, even if i need to be banned, i do hope im not banned
    reasons:
    a) i love music
    b) in 5 years you'll be selling the threads i posted in to the NME, i wll be thw next big thing.
    c) i feel i contribute and recieve in equal proportions
    d) i'm not EMO
    e) i will always belive in Moz, The Smiths, Oasis
    f) i do belive some people are just too inflated and im the pin of the real world to bring em back to the ground
    g) i love you all
    drunk posts aren't they fun, i can't even delete it

• Advertisement
Advertisement