Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mash Ups - Yay or Nay

• 20-01-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Went to a mash up night in a San Francisco club over Christmas. Great fun although the majority of the tunes are dodgy as hell. the closest I seen in Dublin was a night in the TBMc of remixed music, didnt last very long. Heres some of the best ones I've come across.

Smells like Booty
    Can't make up my mind if this is genius or blasphemous.

Black Sabbath vs. Electric Six - Gay Paranoia

the most famous one in SF

Please add your favourite mash ups.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

As Mr. Ed was wont to say, neigh
    • Find two songs with same beat/tempo.
    • Play at the same time
    • ??
    • Profit
    The first 30 seconds sounds like the songs were meant for each other ... then it just degenerates into separate two songs being played at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

They can be excellent when they work.

Too many people are making terrible mashups of tracks that don't work well together.

But I am a fan of mashups of artists which probably wouldn't have the same fan base (eg - Nirvana vs Destiny's Child, or The Strokes vs Christina Aguilera).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please don't link to these mp3s as they are technically bootlegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

I used to hate them but I've heard a load of brilliant ones recently, there's one of the Beatles' Revolver mixed with a load of different songs that is absolutely brilliant

There's a Snoop/Led Zeppelin one that's class too.

Google "Party Ben" he seems to be one of the best around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Yeah, was at the Bootie club night in San Fran at one of the Party Ben nights. Hes also in a covers band which is pretty interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

yay! -sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Soulwax- 2 many Djs gigs are classic examples of mash-ups,they do some great ones but my god they do some bloody terrible ones aswell.

They seem to blow hot and cold so often,they can play some great,intelligent and witty mash-ups and the next minute its complete cheesy tripe.Makes me wonder sometime.Anyone agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Smells like Booty
    Can't make up my mind if this is genius or blasphemous.
    Haven't heard that one, but the very idea is a little terrifying.
    I thought the Green Day/Oasis one was quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭SBob

Generally like mash ups, they can be good fun, but mostly you wouldnt listen to them more then once or twice.

There are a few exceptions though, i found a mash up by loo and placido (http://www.looandplacido.com/) called 'Safari Love' with because by the beatles, lay lady lay by dylan, whos zoomin who by aretha franklin, i want love by elton john and where is my mind by the pixies, its absolutely incredible you can read about them here http://twentyq.blogspot.com/2004/11/loo-placido.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

How You Remind Me of Someday :D

I have a Sonic Youth vs Christina Agulera one(Dirty Boots/Genie in a Bottle), interesting, but gets annoying)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

YAY to the MTV Mash ups:D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

nay pour moi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Take them on a case by case basis.
    I do like the Iggy Pop v Salt n Peppa one by Soulwax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Mash up are soooooo three years ago. That said I won't knock 'em.

Great mash-ups:

Soundhog (As heard on Radio Soundhog series, especially 33 problems): *snip*

He played Isaac Butts recently.

Dangermouse - The Grey Album (The Beatles vs. Jay-Z)
    DJ Pee'n'wee - Jay-z vs Pavement
    Most Lionel Vinyl stuff

*snip*

In fact there was a huge scene that really put any Soulwax mix I've heard to shame, has vanished recently but seems to be picking up with the new trendies in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The Dangermouse Grey Album is good alright but then again its more than a mash-up as he sampled individual drum sounds from the White Album etc and made new beats from these.

The "Play 2 records together" gag a la Soulwax was briefly entertaining, but like most things, has become dull through over-exposure.

Next!

EDIT? how come all the Nathan Barley DJ types have suddenly discovered Dirty Boots by Sonic Youth? I heard a guy in Hogan's playing it, that guy on the Backlash pimp thread has it on his playlist and now some SF trendy has done a mash-up of it.

This is further grist to my theory that DJs don't seek out new music, they just copy each other - as was proved conclusively by my pioneering work playing Hocus Pocus by The Focus at Monkey Tennis back in '01 and which every goon now "drops" into their set. :p

magpie wrote:
    The Dangermouse Grey Album is good alright but then again its more than a mash-up as he sampled individual drum sounds from the White Album etc and made new beats from these.

The "Play 2 records together" gag a la Soulwax was briefly entertaining, but like most things, has become dull through over-exposure.

Next!

EDIT? how come all the Nathan Barley DJ types have suddenly discovered Dirty Boots by Sonic Youth? I heard a guy in Hogan's playing it, that guy on the Backlash pimp thread has it on his playlist and now some SF trendy has done a mash-up of it.

This is further grist to my theory that DJs don't seek out new music, they just copy each other - as was proved conclusively by my pioneering work playing Hocus Pocus by The Focus at Monkey Tennis back in '01 and which every goon now "drops" into their set. :p
    DJs are by definition leeches, the best of them are higher up the food chain, while the ****e ones are left with their scraps. Besides, you can't get too precious about DJs stealing other people's songs off your playlist ;)

You're right though, same old ****e everywhere you go now.

Whatever happened to Monkey Tennis by the way?

Anseo every Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

ThatBloke wrote:

I got lazy and too big for my boots :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's like any other kind of music production/mixing - any muppet can put it together, but it takes skill and talent to make it good.

magpie wrote:
    Anseo every Friday
    Didn't know it was still going, might pop up there, what time does it all kick off?

• Advertisement

8ish

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

chilli peppers n rage against the machine ...classic mash up:D

Advertisement