Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 20-01-2006 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

If you get a .22 cert what are the type of ammo alowed 22 Blank, 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle Shot, 22 Viper, 22 Long Rifle, 22 Stinger, 22 Magnum, and 22 Maximum .22 hornet .220 swift

am i wrong on any :confused: and can ye add others
    ;)

Some more
    .22 BB
    .22 CB
    .22 WRF
    .22 Reed Express
    .22 Remington Jet (.22 Jet, .22 Centerfire Magnum)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DDLR

You really love www.Google.ie dont you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

www.doogle.org

if you dont mind
    However am i right the diff between .2lr and .22 hornet seems massive

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You're right scout, and it's a bit daft. It's something any gun dealer will tell you has some unpleasant implications if a person were to try to abuse the system.

Sparks wrote:
    You're right scout, and it's a bit daft. It's something any gun dealer will tell you has some unpleasant implications if a person were to try to abuse the system.

its been done, I was taling to someone while out shooting on day, He got his permit for a .22LR and rang up saying he got the chance of a better rifle a .220Swift they didnt apply for a new permit just got a pen and put the new number down and off he went! the Men of law not known what they did !!

i think the men of law should have more firearms training!

did he do any thing wrong it is the same cal when its measured it chould be .2200000 and slill be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

yes there would be a fair f***ing difference between .22lr and .220swift remember that film twins with Arnold Schwartzeneger and Danny DeVeto same kind of a size comparason:D

i ment cal. wise,,, not the power
    ok the charge is massivly different
    if someone cave me a vierner calipers and told me measure i would find the same diameter round ,,,,ok longer but thats not coverred in leg. nor is the power behind it.

There no were near the same round, Its like a 22LR being a Mini car and the 220 being a Mini BUS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

scout wrote:
    If you get a .22 cert what are the type of ammo alowed 22 Blank, 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle Shot, 22 Viper, 22 Long Rifle, 22 Stinger, 22 Magnum, and 22 Maximum .22 hornet .220 swift

am i wrong on any :confused: and can ye add others
    ;)

Some more
    .22 BB
    .22 CB
    .22 WRF
    .22 Reed Express
    .22 Remington Jet (.22 Jet, .22 Centerfire Magnum)

Scout
    22 Viper and 22 Stinger are ammo BRANDS not actual calibres. 22 Viper is Remington and Stinger is made by CCI.The first seven items you mention are all point 22 calibre long rifle[apart from the short] and are available on your .22lr liscense. The 22magnum is a seperate calibre in itself and is liscensed as such, as is the 22 hornet and 220 swift.Funnily enough I can buy 22lr ammo on my 22 magnum liscense.
    Trouble is with the 22 family of things here it was all lumped down way back when as ".220 inches"on alot of certs.I gave up years ago trying to explain to my FAO that .220 is a calibre in itself and that the Gardai have the incorrect details on their paperwork and my liscense.It should read correctly .22 Long Rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

DDLR wrote:
    its been done, I was taling to someone while out shooting on day, He got his permit for a .22LR and rang up saying he got the chance of a better rifle a .220Swift they didnt apply for a new permit just got a pen and put the new number down and off he went! the Men of law not known what they did !!

i think the men of law should have more firearms training!

That is just a perfect example of how little the Gardai know about the firearms in the country. I know many of you will object to what I'm about to say but, I dont care!! The laws should never allow for these guns to be in the country if the Gardai themselves do not know them. There are certain things that the Gardai should know- and if they are here to "police" the country dont you think they should know all the guns available to civilians.

What the garda in this guys case did was stupid...When I got my licence amended they carried out a search on the gun that I was then purchasing and only then did they approve. ALL Gardai should be up to this standard, and I had to deal with the Sergeant since the others below him in the station hadn't a clue.

• Advertisement

I am talking about the legal position i dont doubt that they are miles apart practicaly but would apear identicle in legislation

scorphonic wrote:
    That is just a perfect example of how little the Gardai know about the firearms in the country. I know many of you will object to what I'm about to say but, I dont care!! The laws should never allow for these guns to be in the country if the Gardai themselves do not know them. There are certain things that the Gardai should know- and if they are here to "police" the country dont you think they should know all the guns available to civilians.

What the garda in this guys case did was stupid...When I got my licence amended they carried out a search on the gun that I was then purchasing and only then did they approve. ALL Gardai should be up to this standard, and I had to deal with the Sergeant since the others below him in the station hadn't a clue.

Dont blame the Gardai wholly on this.It is not even known in police forces that are armed,for every beat cop to be a walking encyopleda on firearms and laws.[One big problem the Gardai always had INMHO is that they are an unarmed force and that their knowledge on firearms in general is more suitable to a more gentler age,plus the average Garda might never actually see a gun in his entire career].
    In an ideal world,there should be one experianced FAO per div HQ who deals soley with firearms related laws and questions.[prefeably also a shooting man/woman]So if say a beat cop out in a sub station is faced with a firearms question in his area ,he can contact the FAO and get a feedback on the problem within 24 hours.Unfortuneatly it seems that in Div HQ the FAO is given to the most useless of the force,who between making the tea and washing the car looks after the liscenses as well.Not only that they have to labour with ambigious,badly worded,open to interpertation laws.Until that changes and we have laws that can be understood,we will have this sort of screw ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Clare gunner: Not too sure about this but don't some 3rd party barrel makers do seperate barrels for stingers?
    There's a different rate of twist for them so maybe you could argue it is seperate round :confused:

thelurcher wrote:
    Clare gunner: Not too sure about this but don't some 3rd party barrel makers do seperate barrels for stingers?
    There's a different rate of twist for them so maybe you could argue it is seperate round :confused:

Not that I know of.Stinger has always been sold as a "hyper velocity"22 round,to be used in any 22lr ,but maybe somone made a barrel for it to improve it's accuracy on a custom basis.They are a pretty hot load with a heavier slug ASFIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

<Rovi consults Cartridges of the World, 10th Edition, published 2003>
    Hyper velocity .22s gain their extra velocity by means of lighter bullets and extra propellent.
    The bullets are in the 30-34 grain range, as against the 36-40 grains of regular high velocity .22.
    CCI's Stinger, for example, has a 32 grain bullet.
    Winchester's Xpediter had a 29 grain bullet, but it's now obsolete.

In order for the cartridges to be the same length as ordinary .22LR, the lighter bullets are either seated further out of the case or a longer case is used. The Stinger is one of these long cased ones (by .099 of an inch).
    This is where the space for extra propellent comes from.

They're reckoned to give approximately a 30 percent increase in muzzle velocity and a 25 percent increase in muzzle energy over ordinary high velocity .22LR.

Advertisement