Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig Skatepark In The News Again

Options
  • 20-01-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

There was a meeting on Wensday night with local skaters,bmxers .councillors and residents about the proposed skatepark at Ballincollig.
    Basically there were six designs to choose from, the first one was the choice made.It is going to be steel frame with a wooden surface.There is not enough money to build it with concrete.
    It is going to be open till 10:30 in the summer.It's free and will be fenced off and flood lit.
    You can see the evening echo article here:http://www.rebelbmx.tk .This is what I gathered from the article and a recent talk radio show discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not enough money to build it with concerete?

'sake, any council works department could do the concerete casting themselves, which would be cheaper than any steel/wood combo, or anything steel/wood/polycarb. 170K would be more than enough.

Does concerete really limit BMXing like is claimed in that article? Its been -years- since I had a BMX and we didn't have no fancy smantzy skateparks then... cardboard box in t'middle of t'road, up at 7 to work at t'mill, etc, etc :p

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

Concrete doesnt limit BMX at all. BMXers would prefer concrete

rebelbmx wrote:
    Concrete doesnt limit BMX at all. BMXers would prefer concrete

So wtf is yer man complaining about then? Sounds like the council needed to find someone justifying their chickening out...

The reason he said wood is better because if they make a concrete one they mightnt allow BMXers in because our pegs would chip the concrete,

Read it again on our website www.rebelbmx.tk

Either I'm blind or its not saying that in those words :p

Wooden ones get destroyed a lot quicker, normally by a scanger with a can of petrol and some matches. I'd be more worried about that than chipping concrete, because if they're like Kildare County Council, first time it gets done in, it won't get replaced (Celbridge playground got bits burnt down, never replaced, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

The council workers down here have a hard time filling in potholes on the road,nevermind building a skatepark.:D

Young BMXer Paul Kenneally from cork city felt a concrete park would restrict access: "I think a freestanding is the best option as a concrete park would be for skaters only.

Read above taken from the article.

Paul says that a concrete park would be for skaters only.

I would prefere a concrete one myself and it would last alot longer then wood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Concrete in the long run is cheaper than wood. Wooden ramps will have to be resurfaced 1-2 times a year, if they don't get burnt down within the first week. Concrete is weather proof, vandal proof, fire proof and needs very little maintenance.
    As regards the BMX issue what illinformed crap sure freestyle was basically founded on the existence of concrete parks (Fiola, Dominguez, Gonzalez etc in uplands + Delmar).
    The council are obviously not including the maintenance budget in their costings because either A: They think wooden ramps will last forever
    B: They don't care how long the park lasts as long as they get voted back into power thanks to building it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 octain

thats rubbish about chipping a concrete ramp if it is made out of the right strength concrete u couldnt damage it with a sledge!

The final plans have been drawn up now.They are concidering skatelite as a suitable surface,they are waiting on a sample of skatelite too help them decide.The planning application is going in shortly, after the next meeting.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer concrete myself.As was said allready will last forever and mainaence free,wont burn,drys up quicker than wood after rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

wideangle wrote:
    The final plans have been drawn up now.They are concidering skatelite as a suitable surface,they are waiting on a sample of skatelite too help them decide.The planning application is going in shortly, after the next meeting.

I've heard that Skatelite isn't as weatherproof as the manufacturers would have us believe.I've heard of problems with the surface buckling due to moisture retention and expansion.Works fine in Cali allright but not so good in rainy Ireland. It also means you get single plane ramps and banks. With concrete the builders can make any shape they want to ANY other material falls short by a big margin.
    Anyone on this from Cork you had better start making your voice heard, think about this, can you think of one famous outdoor & uncovered skatepark that is modular steel / wood / skatelite? Now as for world class concrete parks theres tonnes.............

I thought you would give a reply Shagman.They will probably change their mind back too plywood when they realise how much the skatelite will be.I'll do my best too get it mentsioned at the next meeting that it is unsuitable for the Irish climate,wet,wet,wet!!

Advertisement