Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What English Single/Comparative texts are you doing?

• 21-01-2006 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey just wondering what English texts everyone is studying for the Single Text and the Comparative Study. How are you finding them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Play: Macbeth.. kinda boring but all right. haven't finished it.

and we did How Many Miles to Babylon by Jennifer Johnson (i think). That;s cool. very interesting and easy to write on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

king lear: very boring

then our three texts are how many miles to babylon by jennifer johnston, of mice and men and the film witness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

yeah king lear as well
    then witness, girl with a pearl earring and a doll's house
    we never actually finished girl with a pearl earring though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

pride and prejudice for main text

on the waterfront film, silas marner, and king lear for comparative

lear is terrible i think, but i like the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

king lear

and comparatives are girl with a pearl earring, the homesick garden and film room with a view! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

King Lear

A room with a view, juno and the paycock, silas marner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Main Text- King Lear(alright, if you're into that sort of thing)
    Comparitives_How Many Miles To Babylon
    Great Expectations
    Il Postino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Main text - King Lear < good imo..
    Comparatives - Silas, Pride and preggers, HMMB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

single text-king lear *yawn*

comparitive- room with a view, silas marner, girl with a pearl earring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Lear, Silas Marner, Dances with Wolves and How many miles to Babylon (or something!)-we havent done that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Single - King Lear. Fantastic.
    Comparative - Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice, How Many Miles to Babylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Single Text: King Lear (yawn, yawn, yawn)

Comparative: Witness, How many miles to Babylone and Juno and the Paycock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 polkadots

Single text-King Lear:rolleyes:
    Comparative-Girl With a Pearl Earring, December Bride and Room With a View

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Macbeth, Cat's Eye (worst book ever), and i think were doin Witness too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

King Lear
    How Many Miles to Babylon?
    Of Mice and Men
    Witness

Havent done Witness yet.. but you only need 2 anyway for the comparative texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

King Lear - groan!
    Room With a View - meh...
    How Many Miles To Babylon - good nuf
    Jane Eyre - when does it end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

King Lear, obviously for the single text.

Of Mice and Men, How Many Miles to Babylon and One by One in the Darkness for my comparative. Not particularly pleased about doing any of them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Single: King Lear - best Shakespeare I've ever read
    Comparative: HMMtB, Juno and we haven;t done a 3rd one. Might re-read of mice and men before the mocks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Single - King Lear, don't like a whole pile atall at all.
    Comparitive - Juno and the Paycock - thought it was quite good, but obviously too short. Of Mice and Men - quite good again. Death and Nightingales - Good, not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

King Lear, yaawwwnnn
    Silas Marner, even bigger yaaawwnn
    Juno And The Paycock, enjoyed it
    Witness, fun to study

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Single Text: King Lear... :-|

Comparative: Silas Marner, Of Mice and Men and How many miles to babylon?

All horrible horrible crap, except Of Mice and Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Single Text: King Lear, which I actually quite enjoyed. Some really interesting imagery.. the whole idea of the filial loyalty/betrayal too was cool.

Comparative Texts: Silas Marner.. alright, but it felt a little patronising with the morals and such being preached! :p
    Witness.. it was grand, no great shakes, but not terrible.
    Juno and the Paycock.. interesting satire, enjoyed the ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Anyone doind Death and Nightingales as the single text? Id say we are the only school in the country doing it!

Raphael wrote:
    Single: King Lear - best Shakespeare I've ever read

what did you like about it can i ask?

i thought it was a pile of monotonous ****e.... and i quite like Shakespeare! just thoguht King Lear was... i dunno.. lacking something....

im not attakcing you or anything here, im just curious :)
    my class didnt like it, and we were originally going to do it for main text, but we demoted it to comparative...

And River Allow, another class in my year are Death & Nightingales for main text, you are not alone!

Noone else here doing On The Waterfront? the best choice of film from the list i think.. its damn good. Brando's a king :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Macbeth

My Left Foot - Death of a Salesman - How Many Miles to Babylon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anyone doind Death and Nightingales as the single text? Id say we are the only school in the country doing it!
    If you read my post, we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Rockerette wrote:
    what did you like about it can i ask?

i thought it was a pile of monotonous ****e.... and i quite like Shakespeare! just thoguht King Lear was... i dunno.. lacking something....

Sorry just noticed this and have to agree, I quite enjoy Shakespeare, that man was a genius like but seriously King Lear is terrible, everyone dies of a broken heart, bar Gloucester, kinda, who gets his eyes gouged out and the sister who get's poisoned! But the still had broken hearts! The storm seen, the bastard son playing the two sisters and the opening sequence were the only good bits.

i thought the Gloucester "falling off a cliff" bit took the biscuit in terms of unintentional humour.... specially seeing it live! :D

i did the Merchant of Venice for Junior Cert and thought it was fabulous... but must say for the ould Leaving i was disappointed to see Lear there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I'm surprised at the Lear hatred really. It's simply fantastic. The sheer depth that is crammed into it is astonishing. A lot of Shakespeare isn't so, mere potboilers that he threw together to get a play on the stage. Lear's plot is incredible, ragged, and full of irrelevancies but it has a rare exuberance that shines through it and makes it a pleasure to read. It has a bounce about it, verve in its detail that is as good as anything. Plus it is wonderfully written of course but it also has genius separable from the words of the play: great atmosphere, wonderful images. Even if you took Lear and made it a novel, a movie, a comic book it would still hold up because of these. And it's full. Amazing depth and breadth.

It's of course full of silly details and bad jokes (thought they aren't all terribly bad :p) and superfluous characters. But that scarcely matters. It is genius. Anybody who calls it boring by the way, would do well to remember Joyce's saying; "I never met a bore". You can skim Lear and laugh at its raggedness but I think you're missing something great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

^Like Macbeth which parts weren't even written by Shakespeare!!

Advertisement