Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What English Single/Comparative texts are you doing?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

I'm surprised at the Lear hatred really. It's simply fantastic. The sheer depth that is crammed into it is astonishing. A lot of Shakespeare isn't so, mere potboilers that he threw together to get a play on the stage. Lear's plot is incredible, ragged, and full of irrelevancies but it has a rare exuberance that shines through it and makes it a pleasure to read. It has a bounce about it, verve in its detail that is as good as anything. Plus it is wonderfully written of course but it also has genius separable from the words of the play: great atmosphere, wonderful images. Even if you took Lear and made it a novel, a movie, a comic book it would still hold up because of these. And it's full. Amazing depth and breadth. .

in that nice little paragraph you left out actualy details that make it special... particular scenes, defining moments, interesting characters and/or their development... that paragraph could have applied to any play/novel, with only the Shakespeare reference edited... it was a very general attempt at trying to convert me ;)
    plus with words like "exuberance", "sheer depth", and "astonishing" it kinda sounds like you swallowed a thesaurus in order to try get your point across...

but anyway, each to their own opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

Single : King Lear
    Comparitives : Girl With Pearl a Earring
    Death + Nightingales
    il postino
    the first three are pretty easy to write about but il postinos c*** for writing bout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

Single: King Lear
    Comparatives: Death & Nightingales, A Room With A View and Of Mice & Men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm surprised at the Lear hatred really.

I wasn't giving out about it as such, I don't dislike the play at all. I'd just prefer not to have to tear it to pieces analysing this, that and the other and I'd really like not to have to write an essay on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Single text: King Lear
    Comparative: Silas Marner, Juno and The Paycock and Witness

I found Lear surprisingly interesting after the getting over the initial confusion of the old language. Good story.

Wasn't mad about Marner, a bit boring.

Juno was good and a bit of a laugh too.

Witness - pretty class film for the 1980's!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Rockerette wrote:
    i thought the Gloucester "falling off a cliff" bit took the biscuit in terms of unintentional humour.... specially seeing it live! :D

i did the Merchant of Venice for Junior Cert and thought it was fabulous... but must say for the ould Leaving i was disappointed to see Lear there..
    Why do you say its unintentional humour? Do you think Shaekspeare wrote that scene without expecting it to be funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lear, on the waterfront, of mice and men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Single - Macbeth ( havent started it yet so i dont know what its like)

Comparative - Silas Marner, Juno and The Paycock and Witness

Silas Marner (doing it atm so boooooring!)
    Witness( woo its a film and was easy)
    juno and the paycock( havent started it yet)

Raphael wrote:
    Do you think Shaekspeare wrote that scene without expecting it to be funny?

yes... as apparently gloucester had his "moment" of self discovery there... so i doubt shakespeare intended to shower it with humour?

Shakespeare wasb't writing for English students. He was writing for victorian plebs who would throw rotten fruit at the stage if they got bored.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    Shakespeare wasb't writing for English students. He was writing for victorian plebs who would throw rotten fruit at the stage if they got bored.

.......is that aimed at me?
    is it just a statement or are you tryin to make a point with that comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

whoever is may have been aimed at, its the truth :D

Rockerette wrote:
    .......is that aimed at me?
    is it just a statement or are you tryin to make a point with that comment?
    You, sorry. Thought I hit the quote box. Old Bill wasn;t writing that scene just for the self discovery element, it was largely there so the audience would hold off on the fruit.

aaaah ok, i just thought it was a really random statement!

There may have been an element of that too. =p

Advertisement