Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router choice

Options
  • 21-01-2006 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

looking at routers with firewalls
    at moment wireless bb connected to pc straight to lan in pc
    looking at router with firewall
    looking at 2 cable routers
    wrt54gs and netgear wgt624 and wgt614
    dont know if it makes adifference .the netgear has nat and spi firewall and linksys has spi firewall
    what you think or is there better
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I was comparing the 2 choices before I bought too. I did not have any "specific" interest in the firewall side of things as the computer has a software firewall installed.

I went for the WRT54GS because it has the 125Mbps speedbooster which makes a difference when I am streaming between computers.

Can't fault the GS, very quick, simple and easy to use/install/setup.
    There are plenty of mods that you can make too if so inclined as the OS is Linux based. I am not sure how the Netgear is in this regard.

Linksys was cheaper too if I remember correctly.

L.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nereid wrote:
    I was comparing the 2 choices before I bought too. I did not have any "specific" interest in the firewall side of things as the computer has a software firewall installed.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

If you are running BSD or perhaps Linux then a software firewall is acceptable.

If you are running windows a software firewall can lull you in to a false sense of security. If the program crashes or the service doesn't start you are unprotected. At least one windows software firewall has been targeted directly IIRC - BlackIce Defender ? with a destructive payload, people lost data BECAUSE they used a particular software firewall. /RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

L HAVE TO GET A CABLE ROUTER AS L DONT HAVE ADSL CONNECTION AS ITS WIRELESS BB,is there a better choice
    the linksys wrt54gs is cable/adsl router,told its takes more setting up with with dsl/cable and adsl/cable routers as compared to cable router which are hard to get

what you think of this router/will it suit cable connection
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullft.asp?productcode=ECE1028519

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

If you are running BSD or perhaps Linux then a software firewall is acceptable.

If you are running windows a software firewall can lull you in to a false sense of security....

Yeah, well, all I said in my post was that when buying the router, the type of firewall on it was not my highest concern. Mostly because at the time I was not even on the internet (which I think is the best way of protecting your computer from malicious attacks...). I have since got BB and then installed zonealarm which works perfectly fine for a home user.

Both the linksys and netgear have SPI so is that okay as a non windows based hardware firewall?

Cheers,

L.

L.

• Advertisement

WOULD THE LINKSYS WRT54GS be ok on cable wireless bb as its not adsl ,would it detect the setting already setup in pc for lan card,

Advertisement