Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The January 1963 snow storms in Wicklow and a funny Dáil debate...

Options
  • 21-01-2006 1:23am

January 1963 was very severe in Wicklow and the south East with areas especially in the hills cut off for weeks.

In looking for information on it I found a Dáil debate on it and while some of it deals with the seriosness of the situation... some of the exchanges were very funny...

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0199/D.0199.196301220040.html

Some of the bits I liked were
    Mr. P. Brennan: Deputy Paudge Brennan was in the middle of the snow. He knows more about it than the Deputy, who sent telegrams from his centrally-heated office in the city of Dublin.

And this exchange...
    However, by-roads were in a terrible condition and they would be “digging till February” before they were cleared.

Another member of the local authority, a supporter of the Taoiseach's Party, referring to his area, said:

The people here have had it so bad in the last two weeks that they now realise that Rome wasn't built in a day. Many roads are still isolated but the people are prepared to wait for the County Council to clear them. They appreciate the great work which is continuing.

He concluded by saying:

I guarantee that there will still be traces of the snow in this district in June.

There are other comments on the same lines. There is a comment that in Baltinglass about two dozen families had not been heard of for, I think, a week or so. Only to-day I was informed of a family at present living in Dublin but who originated near Knockanarrigan in Wicklow who went on a visit there on New Year's Day and had to stay for three weeks because they could not get out. These are not exaggerated reports.

Mr. P. Brennan Mr. P. Brennan

Mr. P. Brennan: That one is a bit exaggerated.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins Mr. M.J. O'Higgins

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: I do not think so.

Mr. P. Brennan: Knockanarrigan was open within three weeks.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: If the Deputy challenges that, I shall not insist. I am merely reporting what I have been told. I know the family and I have no reason to disbelieve them. They may possibly have been——

Mr. P. Brennan: Maybe they did not want to come out. Maybe they were enjoying themselves.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: ——nervous of travelling. I do not want to take up any of the time due to the Taoiseach but Deputy Brennan is well [161] aware, I feel sure, that not very far from him there was an elderly couple, a blind husband and a wife of about 80 years of age, to whose house access was gained only on Thursday or Friday of last week. I think Deputy Brennan will not deny that.

Mr. J. Brennan Mr. J. Brennan

Mr. J. Brennan: We have been accustomed to this type of thing for years.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: Is that the Government's attitude?

Mr. J. Brennan: It is my attitude.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: If it is not the Government's attitude, the Parliamentary Secretary should not interrupt me in that way.

Mr. J. Brennan: We see more snow in one year in Donegal than was ever seen in Wicklow, and we never say a word about it.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: If the Parliamentary Secretary's interruption is merely to try to prove to Deputy Brennan that Donegal men are better than Wicklow men, let him take it up with Deputy Brennan in the Fianna Fáil Party Room.

Mr. P. Brennan: They are not as good as Wicklow men.

Mr. M.J. O'Higgins: I side with Deputy Brennan in that.

(Interruptions.)

Mr. Donegan Mr. Donegan

Mr. Donegan: The Deputy does not know his geography.

Mr. J. Brennan: I know where I live.

An Ceann Comhairle Patrick (Clare) Hogan

An Ceann Comhairle: Order.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm sure if we enter something severe in the next two weeks we can expect similar educated debates! Nice find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And I can't help but think of the current day Brennan and Higgins....:D

But remember Donegal men are better than wicklow men when coping with the cold :D

no they're not

Yes they are

No they're not

Yes they are

no they're not

Order!

Advertisement