Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intelligent swisscom/eircom conclusions [NZZ]

Options
  • 21-01-2006 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

The Neue Zürcher Zeitung carries two English language articles on the fallout (resignation of Swisscom boss Jens Alder) of the Swisscom/Eircom adventure.
    One is an excellent interview which touches some important factors about state controlled monopoly, vs private monopolies etc, showing that some countries can learn from bad experiences of others. I am proud to have had my input in the information process leading to that outcome and would like to thank all on boards and especially IOFFL whose info was simply invaluable.
    Swisscom buying Eircom would not have solved our problems – and the knowledge that "our" knowledge hindered the champagne corks to pop in the Eircom boardroom before the Christmas (not to speak of the monetary implications for the top managers) is something to be cherished.
    ..swissinfo: But the CEO resigned because the government hindered his ability to pursue the company's strategy.

T.v U-S.: I never understood why Swisscom wanted to buy Eircom, and I am very happy that the government prevented this waste of money.
    Full article here

The other less informative NZZ English language article deals more with Alder's resignation and the new attitude in Swisscom.

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

The Swiss gov intends to sell its shares in incumbent Swisscom to the people in order to make it "safe". German only article in the NZZ here.
    TheRegister also reports on the proposed sale:
    The Swiss Government published proposals to flog its 66 per cent stake in incumbent telco Swisscom.
    To ensure it doesn't become a victim of a take-over bid, Government is looking to target small shareholders to buy into the telco as part of a "people's shares" scheme, although it accepts this might mean it won't get the highest price for its stake.
    Instead, it's prepared to "consciously forego the idea of selling to obtain the highest possible price and is laying the foundations for Swisscom to be able to remain independent".
    For its part, Swisscom has broadly welcomed the plan. Late last year the telco was forced to ditch plans to buy its Irish equivalent, Eircom, after it wase blocked by the Swiss Government. Officials were concerned Swisscom's plans to invest overseas were too risky.
    P.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

P. Totally agree.

The CEO was never going to remain after this, and being barred from a TDC acquisition.

There are valuable lessons for the nation.

Remember Mary O'Rourke ("worked like a black") to sell An Bord Telecom eireann / eircom. I hope the voters vote for Donnie Cassidy or I'd even condone votes for some other shower rather than she the non-PC school teacher get back in.

Dempsey is also a former school teacher, turned legislator. Dermo come back! All is forgiven.

The most incredible thing I have heard all week (off topic slightly) is that Kunle .......didn't mean to drive without tax, insurance or a license. His friend was interviewed and stated that it was a once off and he got caught. We are paying for this! Deport hm.

Dear Kevin Myers .......

T.

Advertisement